Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Those mentioned in the last 3 or 4 comments are a total waste of time and money to buy unless you have a couple of million to toss at them.
Realize the Navy is big on separate crew members. Engine order telegraph ... goes down to the personnel in the ER and they are the ones to change the speed of engine, manually etc.
I doubt if you have enough friends to take those boats out for a daily cruise.
Comfort has never been high on the list of things the Navy wanted in WWII vessel.
I'm not sure I would go look at one, with the intent to buy.

Those mentioned in the last 3 or 4 comments are a total waste of time and money to buy unless you have a couple of million to toss at them.
Realize the Navy is big on separate crew members. Engine order telegraph ... goes down to the personnel in the ER and they are the ones to change the speed of engine, manually etc.
I doubt if you have enough friends to take those boats out for a daily cruise.
Comfort has never been high on the list of things the Navy wanted in WWII vessel.
I'm not sure I would go look at one, with the intent to buy.

Awww come on now Dan! We all know you're just trying to get us all to stay away so you can rush in to make the purchase! :rofl: :dance:

Awww come on now Dan! We all know you're just trying to get us all to stay away so you can rush in to make the purchase! :rofl: :dance:

Art not even in your next life. :)

It is a real shame the Navy would let such assets deteriorated prior to attempted sale.

Well it was "placed out of service" in 1994 so I doubt the Navy let it deteriorate to it's current state.

More likely the previous owner or 2, or 3,,,,,

Well, I know. But it doesn't have any dirt and it's for sale. And it's south of Key West.

https://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/aucitsrh/?sl=PEACH419003001

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sand_Key_Light

Sand Key Lighthouse

The lighthouse is a cast iron pyramidal screw-pile tower. The structural skeleton consists of inclined cast iron pipe columns with wrought iron tension and compression members. The tower tapers from 50' x 50' at its base to 19' x 19' at the cast iron entablature supporting the watch room and lantern housing. The foundation consists of wrought iron screw piles capped with concrete. The total height of the structure is approximately 132'. No dwelling is present. The keeper's quarters were removed due to damage from a fire that occurred in 1989. Only the structure will be conveyed.

Well, I know. But it doesn't have any dirt and it's for sale. And it's south of Key West.

https://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/aucitsrh/?sl=PEACH419003001

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sand_Key_Light

Sand Key Lighthouse

Weird fact,
I live in Washington state but my Daughter and I did a couple dives on the reef at this lighthouse a couple weeks ago while in Key West. The dive charter capt. mentioned that tower was in such bad shape the coasties would not go on the tower anymore. Its definitely out in a exposed spot!
HOLLYWOOD

"The engineering plant was extremely flexible with the twin 671s on each shaft."

Twin engines on a single shaft is my dream setup for an offshore vessel.

"The engineering plant was extremely flexible with the twin 671s on each shaft."

Twin engines on a single shaft is my dream setup for an offshore vessel.

How would you decouple the dead engine if one failed?

So, the two DD engines are not on the same shaft, especially if they have separate clutches into a twinning transmission.

twinning transmissin has two inputs and one shaft output to drive

I totally understand, but the original post said two engines on the same shaft... Having clutches and a transmission means the two engines are not on the same shaft.

Assuming they meant two engines driving the same prop shaft, through a transmission and clutches, that works.

Ok, Romsdahl Greig class were built with two engines parallel with pto (in out clutches)
clutches belt driven onto one shaft. Run either or both engines.

I totally understand, but the original post said two engines on the same shaft... Having clutches and a transmission means the two engines are not on the same shaft.

Assuming they meant two engines driving the same prop shaft, through a transmission and clutches, that works.

By "shaft", they meant prop shaft. So 4 engines, 2 shafts, 2 props. Each shaft is driven by 2 engines (with the ability to de-clutch either one from the shaft if needed).

By "shaft", they meant prop shaft. So 4 engines, 2 shafts, 2 props. Each shaft is driven by 2 engines (with the ability to de-clutch either one from the shaft if needed).

Can we spell redundancy! Boat tow ins not really needed! :thumb: :lol:

Unless fuel system completely fails... :facepalm:

Fantastic idea! Imagine, a 6-71 prime mover, twinning tranny, with a sweet little 2-71 sitting next to it and driving a generator through its PTO. Or even better, try to find an old 1-71 on eBay.

True redundancy in so many ways.

Fantastic idea! Imagine, a 6-71 prime mover, twinning tranny, with a sweet little 2-71 sitting next to it and driving a generator through its PTO. Or even better, try to find an old 1-71 on eBay.

True redundancy in so many ways.

Used to be a fleet of RCMP boats, Tofino, Alert Bay, etc, 73' long, twin 671s (could have been 8s) on a twinning transmission to single screw. My brother had one for a short while. Could get real speed with both engines and good economy on just one.

Your first post was perfectly clear . . . :whistling:

Things are a bit foggy because this was way back in the 50s. My uncle had a boat with a port shaft, a starboard shaft and once underway, the captain would reach down, lift a lever and engage a 3rd shaft and propeller. From where it got its power, I have no idea. I think the name of the boat was Sea Dream. The make and model, I have no idea. The only additional information, it was out of Detroit, MI

Last edited:
This red boat

Just love this boat, whenever i'm on the Hawkesbury River in New South Wales I make a point of passing her by just to see this lovely red steel boat.
Dunno what model she is - just a graceful lady.

Attachments

• IMG_20200318_133013.jpg
    IMG_20200318_133013.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20200318_133045.jpg
    IMG_20200318_133045.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20200318_133115.jpg
    IMG_20200318_133115.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 79
Reminiscent of this boat I am delivering now. My friend, the owner, tells me it was built in Costa Rica.

Attachments

• DSC00816.jpg
    DSC00816.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 97
Reminiscent of this boat I am delivering now. My friend, the owner, tells me it was built in Costa Rica.

Funny - With that slanted photo... it almost looks like the FD hull [of the nice boat] is attempting to plane. I had to blink twice! :socool: :D

Okay, so we are all lock on our boats or inside our houses.... do not start watching these videos..... You can fill days and days when you follow them numerically. Dont ask me how I know.

Okay, so we are all lock on our boats or inside our houses.... do not start watching these videos..... You can fill days and days when you follow them numerically. Dont ask me how I know.

:facepalm: :banghead: :whistling: :nonono: :popcorn: :dance:

Sorry - Thought I was posting in the thread about cruise lines... my mistake!

The twin engine on a single shaft would allow the smaller engine to be set up for LRC , long range cruising.

As there are multiple options when only minor power is required a 2-71 at 30HP per cylinder or a 3-71 at 20 HP per cylinder might be the smoother choice.

A larger DN 50 alt at 12v or 24v (200a to 350a) would work as cruise generator with a 4 KW inverter to create 120v AC .
This style tanny has been made mostly for the military since WWII , so are reliable , the shafts are strong enough to eat most lobster pot lines.The disconnect is dog gears , not clutches , the engines must be stopped to reconnect .

The biggest hassle is the entire drive package is HEAVY!

So about 40-45 ft of hull would be required , especially if Pacific range, 4000 miles worth of fuel is required.

Last edited:
2DECA47F-EEDD-4E47-B51E-20DB9D700C86.jpg

302E6929-5DA0-4FCF-AC07-876570EBCBB1.jpg

The most interesting vessel I’ve seen at a boatyard. I was told it’s a Boeing sub. Anyone know more about this?

FF, I haven't seen any twinnings for sale in Boats-n-Harbor or other pubs. Any idea of a source? Are they rather straight forward to open up and overhaul by a good marine gear mechanic?

Back
Top Bottom