Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She traded you in for a better, improved model? :angel:

Not everyone was divorced for same reason as you! :dance: :lol:

You should have seen the model I traded her for! :thumb:

And, Life goes on!! :socool:

Not everyone was divorced for same reason as you! :dance: :lol:

You should have seen the model I traded her for! :thumb:

And, Life goes on!! :socool:

I can honestly say, all my ex-wives traded up. Gosh, I'm happy for them too.

Not for me. I understand that some folks have the bug to build a boat either in a yard by a big brand, a custom, or a do it yourselfer. For them I expect the build process is as much fun as the boating itself.

For me, it seems like there is no end to the wonderful and mostly barely used boats out there in the used markets around the world at less than half the cost of a build with 100 years left of usable life in the hull. (Steel of course;))

The market for canal boats, in the US, not much of a market and that's too bad.
I'm sure, if I had one, in the FL area, I could charge a quarter a head for a tour of the interior.
Everyone have great ideas of off shore cruising while in reality most of the cruising is ICW.
Three things an east coast canal boat will need, gen, reverse cycle AC and a bow thruster.
I did not see any canal boats for sale on the east coast.
Rentals at... https://midlakesnav.com/canalboat-rentals

Last edited:
...For me, it seems like there is no end to the wonderful and mostly barely used boats out there in the used markets around the world at less than half the cost of a build with 100 years left of usable life in the hull. (Steel of course;))

Then again, if you build new you can sell later for 1/2 the value. In the end you're still paying only 1/2 and you get to use the new boat, not a used one. Thus is the slippery slope of rationalization :D

Then again, if you build new you can sell later for 1/2 the value. In the end you're still paying only 1/2 and you get to use the new boat, not a used one. Thus is the slippery slope of rationalization :D

"slippery slope of rationalization" I know just where you got that saying!! LOL

"One Day at a Time"!

When I saw the first pic on YW, I was thinking what a great deal she is for $99K. Later pics make her look like a derelict. She is a T. D, Vinette steel hulled best but it would probably take $100K or so to get her looking like the first pic. Perhaps she suffered some hurricane damage.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1974/custom-thomas-dale-vinette-3652923/

I don't see that at all. I think the owner that died was a member here. I like it. I don't like the added swim platform,how they did it is kind of ghetto IMHO.

Want it.
2009, CE-A rated, steel, lying Portugal, reasonably priced, beachable on keels, built for distance.

Bill....you have no right to salivate over brisket while eating prime rib. I’d take your boat over that one any time.

"slippery slope of rationalization" I know just where you got that saying!! LOL

"One Day at a Time"!

Nope...don't remember that one. Must have sponged it up from somewhere else?

Code:

1972 in Maine, I had a 69 Bug that was equipped with their "Automatic, Standard-Shift" transmission. Not my favorite car by any means. But it was damn good in the snow.

College gf had an auto-stick ‘70 Super Beetle. It was OK but the tranny as crap. Can’t comment on the snow: University of Hawai’i. :socool: I’ve had a ‘70 that I sold when my son was born. Now the two VWs I have are just toys.

Bill....you have no right to salivate over brisket while eating prime rib. I’d take your boat over that one any time.

Oh, I agree with you there HH. I was just thinking prime rib AND brisket.
Tangent, the boat in the post, is sitting in The South coast of Portugal, right around the corner from the Med and with access to the Euro canals. She is built for both. This is an area with the climate of San Diego and the cost of living of La Paz. And, she would cost you 20% of a Nordy 55, go anywhere that boat could go with the additional benefit of low enough air draft for the canals.
Great boat in a great location...
Winters are a little long and dark up here! Just dreaming a little.

Klee, could you link to the ad ("2009, CE-A rated, steel, lying Portugal, ...") you are referring to, if you still have it? I am not in the market myself, but curious, particularly the interior layout.

Klee, could you link to the ad ("2009, CE-A rated, steel, lying Portugal, ...") you are referring to, if you still have it? I am not in the market myself, but curious, particularly the interior layout.

I. Love. This. Boat. She' too big for me, and I can't afford her. But if I could, and the choice came down to this or an older KK39... it's a no brainer for me. It's like someone took a diesel duck and ironed out all of the awkward chunkiness

Dave: I love the interior layout. And you wrote:
It's like someone took a diesel duck and ironed out all of the awkward chunkiness.

Perfect description.

I do not see any stabilisers, and no mention of ballast, but it is described as "CE class A", but no mention of how that certification was arrived at. I had a look at the site that makes the kits; it mentions that certification is possible, but that this must be done by a third part. And the ad for this boat does not say if this was actually done.

Absolutely gorgeous though and excellent layout, for me.

What makes you think it’s a marina boat? It’s got two generators and has 820 gallons of freshwater onboard! I think it’s set up to spend lots of time at anchor or traveling the waterway. It’s not for open seas, but should do just fine on bays, sounds and rivers. I like it: it’s just what the owner wanted and looks to be well executed.
As fo docking, that’s why remote controls are getting so popular, CCTV will also give a view of the side.

This boat came through our marina . It’s definitely a work of art. He plays a tune on the pipe organ before leaving the marina.

I lov per he combo coffee table/tool chest!:thumb:

What makes you think it’s a marina boat? It’s got two generators and has 820 gallons of freshwater onboard! I think it’s set up to spend lots of time at anchor or traveling the waterway. It’s not for open seas, but should do just fine on bays, sounds and rivers. I like it: it’s just what the owner wanted and looks to be well executed.
As fo docking, that’s why remote controls are getting so popular, CCTV will also give a view of the side.
+1 not all boats are intended to cross oceans, some are meant to be on lakes, rivers and waterways. I would love to own this one here.

L

Dave: I love the interior layout. And you wrote:

Perfect description.

I do not see any stabilisers, and no mention of ballast, but it is described as "CE class A", but no mention of how that certification was arrived at. I had a look at the site that makes the kits; it mentions that certification is possible, but that this must be done by a third part. And the ad for this boat does not say if this was actually done.

Absolutely gorgeous though and excellent layout, for me.

I am not sure what all is required in the rating but beyond design/build criteria I know there is an incline test required by a third party after launch. I have seen the evidence for this on my Libra.
I suspect Tangent is ballasted as she weighs 72000# at 52 feet and draws 5 1/2 despite her beam.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 12.58.48 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 12.58.48 AM.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 69
Long time reader, first time poster. This is my favorite thread here. :)

This is a bit off the beaten path, first twin sail drive I've seen on a trawlerish boat:

Alibi 44

Back
Top Bottom