Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Will the real picture please stand up

When I saw the first pic on YW, I was thinking what a great deal she is for $99K. Later pics make her look like a derelict. She is a T. D, Vinette steel hulled best but it would probably take $100K or so to get her looking like the first pic. Perhaps she suffered some hurricane damage.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1974/custom-thomas-dale-vinette-3652923/

Attachments

• v1.jpg
    v1.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 67
  • v 2.jpg
    v 2.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 58
I see two different boats. Which one are they trying to sell?
Do you have the URL for the most recent pictures?

Either sisters... or same boat?? One stripped, one not. May before and after some sort of calamity or years of misuse??

Not often one views the workings of interesting boats that serve to be of assistance to boaters of all size and configuration. Perhaps a moment to thank them for their unique service as you view one example underway in conditions. It qualifys as an "Interesting boat" one would believe.-

Yeah Baby! That's What I'm Talken Bout!!! :dance:

"If you can't take the game... then don't suite up". That baby is obviously well suited for every play in the game she entered! :thumb: :D

Thanks, Al

I don't know how much fun the crew of the ship were having, but the porpoises at about 2:48 in the video were having a blast!!!

I don't know how much fun the crew of the ship were having, but the porpoises at about 2:48 in the video were having a blast!!!

How could you not have fun experiencing that much power thrust [coming from both the sea and the boat] then living to tell about it??

I would not go seeking that much of sea upheaval situation. However, if unexpectedly encountered in a craft that stout - what a great memory!!

Will say: It appears the boat could have been slowed a bit. Punching quite that hard into huge waves is not necessarily the best decision. Maybe that speed was done due to schedule need and maybe it was done simply to enhance the film. One way or the other... forward motion speed should be carefully gauged in accordance with not ever broaching and also having little as possible physical impact upon the boat and crew.

How could you not have fun experiencing that much power thrust [coming from both the sea and the boat] then living to tell about it??

You can buck & wallow on the conventional ship in the video below & I'll wave to you while dining aboard the SWATH vessel where my dinnerware doesn't budge on the table :D

You can buck & wallow on the conventional ship in the video below & I'll wave to you while dining aboard the SWATH vessel where my dinnerware doesn't budge on the table :D

That's cheating - sorta - LOL You have two hulls in one! :thumb:

Anyway, I saw a couple frames where your dinner drink glass rim may experience some spillage. :D

Also, seems most photos of the dual hull boat [sometimes termed a "Cat"] were in calmer seas than boats in other frames... and... everything in that video showed MUCH calmer seas than the "Mono' boat in Al's video.

SWATH hulls are very different than catamarans. Buoyancy is from 'torpedo' like structures which stay below the trough of the waves...there is no riding up and over waves because you're actually supported by relatively calm water below the waves. Pretty cool :thumb:

I made 2 trips on SWATH dive boat. We were anchored within site of a mono hull sail boat.
The SWATH took the waves without notice. On the sail boat, well let's say, the job of the newest crew member was to wash the puke off the deck.

The engines of the SWATH were accessed via climbing down a ladder in each hull, the tunnel was about 3ft in diameter..... any major damage .... dry dock, cut the pods off to get to the engines, generators or water makers.

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/mo...lot-Dive-Boat-Ended-Service-May-17-2010?hl=en

Last edited:
I made 2 trips on SWATH dive boat. We were anchored within site of a mono hull sail boat.
The SWATH took the waves without notice. On the sail boat, well let's say, the job of the newest crew member was to wash the puke off the deck.

The engines of the SWATH were accessed via climbing down a ladder in each hull, the tunnel was about 3ft in diameter..... any major damage .... dry dock, cut the pods off to get to the engines, generators or water makers.

Ever see photos of an engine coming out laterally through a hole cut into a yachts side? Besides, if you can afford a SWATH yacht, cost will not be an issue!

Ever see photos of an engine coming out laterally through a hole cut into a yachts side? Besides, if you can afford a SWATH yacht, cost will not be an issue!

My N46 had a 20KW generator. The only way to do major work in it would have been cutting a hole in the side of the hull. Thankfully, no problems when I owned the boat.

There were 2 SWATHs boat in their fleet. I think they used them until maintaince got to be too expensive.... maybe 5 years.

I'm pretty sure the PT Cruiser counts as a marketing success more than anything. It's not attractive and it's a borderline POS in other ways, but they did a great job of convincing people they wanted it.

PT Cruiser was just a Dodge Neon in disguise.

Thanks, Murray

I did quick review on your link. I imagine that Swath hull design is good for many needs. I also imagine the fuel use would be up. And, it seems clear that in semi to even medium rough seas [ 6' to 15' waves] that Swath could really make a difference in stability.

However, I can't help but wonder if Swath design might become a hindrance in really rough seas [25' to 50' waves]. At some point... the below wave level "pontunes" would become involved with wave actions. Then, what would the boat handling characteristics become???

Thanks, Murray

I did quick review on your link. I imagine that Swath hull design is good for many needs. I also imagine the fuel use would be up. And, it seems clear that in semi to even medium rough seas [ 6' to 15' waves] that Swath could really make a difference in stability.

However, I can't help but wonder if Swath design might become a hindrance in really rough seas [25' to 50' waves]. At some point... the below wave level "pontunes" would become involved with wave actions. Then, what would the boat handling characteristics become???

When the waves get high enough they are going to start hitting the "regular" part of the hull which will impart more motion to the boat. Once the waves get higher than the standoff distance of the main hull, you're going to start feeling it.

The way I read it the aft cabin was modified in the recent refit. That’s why the boat looks different in the 2 pictures.

When I saw the first pic on YW, I was thinking what a great deal she is for $99K. Later pics make her look like a derelict. She is a T. D, Vinette steel hulled best but it would probably take $100K or so to get her looking like the first pic. Perhaps she suffered some hurricane damage.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1974/custom-thomas-dale-vinette-3652923/

If you read the ad, I believe it indicates that some significant mods were done to the boat, making the lower pic 'before' and the upper pic 'after'.

Want it.
2009, CE-A rated, steel, lying Portugal, reasonably priced, beachable on keels, built for distance.

Attachments

• Portugal.jpg
    Portugal.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 88
I'm pretty sure the PT Cruiser counts as a marketing success more than anything. It's not attractive and it's a borderline POS in other ways, but they did a great job of convincing people they wanted it.
We had one foisted on us as a rental for 2 weeks in Canada. Initial reservations turned to "not a bad car". They were later sold here, I didn`t buy one, I did buy another car model previously rented.

A few butt ugly cars, at least called that by many initially.

VW Beetle

There are more, but those are ones that come to mind that were great successes despite the early detractors. :D

One of the most successful vehicles in history. I prefer the pre-67 models, of course.

Not for me. I understand that some folks have the bug to build a boat either in a yard by a big brand, a custom, or a do it yourselfer. For them I expect the build process is as much fun as the boating itself.

For me, it seems like there is no end to the wonderful and mostly barely used boats out there in the used markets around the world at less than half the cost of a build with 100 years left of usable life in the hull. (Steel of course;))

Ann loved hers for many years until a guy T-Boned it totally. Very versatile little car; we had the back seats out most of its career. Downsides were poor MPG for a car that size and a turning radius of a Peterbilt. Darned reliable though.

Not for me. I understand that some folks have the bug to build a boat either in a yard by a big brand, a custom, or a do it yourselfer. For them I expect the build process is as much fun as the boating itself.

For me, it seems like there is no end to the wonderful and mostly barely used boats out there in the used markets around the world at less than half the cost of a build with 100 years left of usable life in the hull. (Steel of course;))

Totally agree, unless we fall into BIG money and build a 'dream boat' long range 60' power trimaran that doesn't exist yet...

Code:
One of the most successful vehicles in history. I prefer the pre-67 models, of course.

1972 in Maine, I had a 69 Bug that was equipped with their "Automatic, Standard-Shift" transmission. Not my favorite car by any means. But it was damn good in the snow!

Unfortunately my [soon after] ex wife had convinced me to trade in my 1964 Chevy Impala SS with a 409 engine. That was one of my favorite cars ever. Did I mention she became my EX - LOL!! :dance:

Last edited:
Code:

1972 in Maine, I had a 69 Bug that was equipped with their "Automatic, Standard-Shift" transmission. Not my favorite car by any means. But it was damn good in the snow!

Unfortunately my [soon after] ex wife had convinced me to trade in my 1964 Chevy Impala SS with a 409 engine. That was one of my favorite cars ever. Did I mention she became my EX - LOL!! :dance:

She traded you in for a better, improved model? :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom