Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It appears my last boat Boomarang is in search of a new curator. She was mine from 2011 - 2017. Prior to that she was owned by one of the TF founders, Doug Dupuis.

She's a Fales Caribe 30 which is essentially a Willard Vega 30 clone. Salty, seaworthy, economical and most of all reliable. Someone is in for a real treat.:)

https://www.lukebrownyachts.com/listings/1973-fales-30-caribe-boomarang/2767779_2

2767779_200856a0.jpg
One of my favorites, from the bottom paint color to the hardtop. Very nice boat.

How did Fales get away with stealing all their designs from Willard? I read that they paid to license a single design for limited production, but why didn’t Willard enforce their intellectual property rights for the rest of the Fales fleet? Surely they could afford it.

Here is a link to a 2005 post at T&T (Trawlers and Trawlering List) that speaks to that controversy by Patrick Gerety of the Pleasurecraft Division of Willard Marine. Garety states "When John Fales received the Willard 30 hull mold, he immediately cut it up and added two feet in the middle to extend the hull to 32 feet." which is not entirely true. A small number of Fales Caribe 30's were built that were virtually identical to the equivalent Willard Vega 30. Boomarang was one of those.

He also stated "Willard Marine considered legal action, but decided against it. It was better to swallow a bitter pill and get on with their lives." which I believe is the official answer your question.

Interestingly, some owners claim that due to Fales' affiliation with Pearson, there's were actually better boats in some ways than the original Willards. IIRC, this had to do with the glass layup or finishing details and maybe the concrete ballast, but that's purely anecdotal.:hide:

Anything more probably belongs on the Willard | Fales Builders Forum.

Dude! Nice avatar!! Doesn’t look like your nuts are in a vise anymore :D

I had to laugh when I saw Dave's avatar shows his fenders over the side, especially after I razed him about them in photo. What a character! We need more like him.

Spent oodles of time on PennYans. But my uncle owned a few and he was somehow involved as an owner of the company.

Have fun backing up a fairway with the tunnel drive...

He only had to back into Keuka Lake from his dock at the house. Lotsa room. :)

Greetings,
Mr. NS. Backing up is not really a problem. Can back straight for pretty well as long as I want/need. Slowing down IS the problem. I revert to a 12 year old speed demon when the opportunity presents itself.

200.webp

Dude! Nice avatar!! Doesn’t look like your nuts are in a vise anymore :D

Hahahaha, thanks! I got jealous of all the boat stickers I've seen plastered on the walls of locks and at marinas n stuff, so I asked my graphic designer sister to knock one up for me. She did an awesome job. Exactly what I wanted.

I had to laugh when I saw Dave's avatar shows his fenders over the side, especially after I razed him about them in photo. What a character! We need more like him.

I laughed when my sister showed me the sketch of the boat before the background went in, and the fenders and step were rigged. I thought about asking her to take them out, but I decided this would be a more authentic demonstration, lol.

I actually prefer the googly eyes.

I'm sure they'll make a comeback at some point!

Maybe he'll hoist in the fenders and bring the GEs back for Fourth of July.:)

I've got a hundred dollars here that says I forget lol.

Anyhow, back to the boats!

Have fun backing up a fairway with the tunnel drive...

He only had to back into Keuka Lake from his dock at the house. Lotsa room. :)

Weirdly enough I learned to back an inboard with our 23' tunnel drive. It was not until the end of the season and I did entertain whenever taking a slip. Fortunately we had a mooring at our home location.

Rob

Tunnels actually back with less prop walk than your typical Inboard. I can back one right down that fairway. Rudder 2/3 over, bump into fwd to straighten every so often, never really slow down much. Mine was a 77 23. My friend had the twin tunnel 33, sweet boat.

As to pleasure boating and Wayfarer, he's sure figured it out. A nice balance that works for him with time exploring on land, time at sea, towns and nature. I was impressed at the car rental as we see many so resistant to it so they see very little beyond the marina.

Now as to Willard vs. Fales. In boating, I only know of two cases where companies really made money on suits over hull designs. The biggest was Sidewinder that never made much selling boats but got $90 for all the Glastron Carlson's and many other brands of jets. Trisonic did it with the "Roy Rogers hull" where even Roy Rogers had to pay, but not very much.

In business, we often face that quandary. In tech fields it's become big money to sue. In other fields not so much, generally a lot of time and money spent for very little. I always chose not to sue. The classic case was when Levi Strauss sued Wrangler over the placement of the tag on the corner of the pocket of shirts. It took years and Wrangler had switched the tag to the opposite corner many years before it was resolved. However, Levi Strauss did win. After years, they won a case prohibiting Wrangler from placing a similar tag on that one corner of the pocket sewn in just like theirs. Other methods, other corners were fine. No monetary reward. The consumer was totally unaware. Huge waste of time, effort, money.

...I laughed when my sister showed me the sketch of the boat before the background went in, and the fenders and step were rigged. I thought about asking her to take them out, but I decided this would be a more authentic demonstration, lol...

...I've got a hundred dollars here that says I forget lol.

In my experience, folks along the canals and the lakes connected to them run with their fenders out all the time. I've concluded that it's only considered bad form on salt water. When in Rome and all that...

In my experience, folks along the canals and the lakes connected to them run with their fenders out all the time. I've concluded that it's only considered bad form on salt water. When in Rome and all that...

You know... I ran all of the slow sections of the Erie and Oswego canals this summer with fenders out. Mostly because I was needing them so frequently for the locks. However, in the faster sections of canals, they got flipped up onto the side decks after every lock and dropped before the next one to avoid them banging against the hull when I powered up.

Other than that, I always learned that fenders out is bad form.

I sort of question if 48 ft boat is safe to operate with 2 people for long periods of time.

I sort of question if 48 ft boat is safe to operate with 2 people for long periods of time.

I think it really depends on the layout. For example, plenty of people will single-hand a 38 foot sailboat, but I consider my 38 footer as 2 crew minimum. There's just no way to safely dock it single handed due to where the helm is positioned and the amount of windage.

... Levi Strauss sued Wrangler over the placement of the tag on the corner of the pocket of shirts. It took years and Wrangler had switched the tag to the opposite corner many years before it was resolved. However, Levi Strauss did win. After years, they won a case prohibiting Wrangler from placing a similar tag on that one corner of the pocket sewn in just like theirs. Other methods, other corners were fine. No monetary reward. The consumer was totally unaware. Huge waste of time, effort, money.
Well not entirely, the lawyers would have made a "shirtload" of $ from it:D:nonono:.

I've operated a 42 foot sailboat solo for weeks at a time.....

It all depends on your skill level and whether you have the boat set up properly.

Most people that ask the question, however, probably shouldn't.

Yeah, that's weird. The ad states:
SAILING GEAR

• Main and Mizzen Masts w/boom & Rigging
  • Mainsail
  • Genoa
  • Jib
  • Mizzen
Really? Seriously, what would these sails really be good for on a 48' DeFever? I understand a steadying sail, but a Mainsail, Genoa and Jib? Not to mention the Mizzen . . . . Please someone, I'm really trying to figure out what the usefulness of these would be on this type of boat.
Oh, and they have a Predator, gasoline, open frame contractor style generator on the fly bridge in a box, but apparently no marine generator installed . . .

Yeah, that's weird. The ad states:
SAILING GEAR

• Main and Mizzen Masts w/boom & Rigging
  • Mainsail
  • Genoa
  • Jib
  • Mizzen
Really? Seriously, what would these sails really be good for on a 48' DeFever? I understand a steadying sail, but a Mainsail, Genoa and Jib? Not to mention the Mizzen . . . . Please someone, I'm really trying to figure out what the usefulness of these would be on this type of boat.
Oh, and they have a Predator, gasoline, open frame contractor style generator on the fly bridge in a box, but apparently no marine generator installed . . .

Motorsailing under the right conditions you can probably save 10, maybe 20% fuel. And yes, you can add quite a bit of stability. Close hauled in 15-20, even a beam reach. It WILL add. And if the engine quits you can make it close enough to a port where a 400 miles tow turns into a 20 mile tow. That would save serious coin. May take a few days, but hey..... we're on vacation right?

What I would want to know is whether this was original, or someone added this later. If the latter, you would have to do a SERIOUS survey to see how the forces involved are distributed. This is not to be underestimated.

My 42 foot sailboat had no installed generator. I ran a Honda 2000EU off shore for a few hours a day to charge batteries and in anchorages (no not next to someone, don't even go there) to run AC. It's not ideal, and it's a pain to have to carry gasoline for it, but not everyone has the extra 10-15 K needed to install a marine generator.

Last edited:

2 of us have been managing a 60 fter with no problem for near 4 years full time.
Little girls can sail 75 ft trimarans around the world at great speed, single handed. (-;

Interesting how one page says Vac infused foam core
CONSTRUCTION MATERIAL | Foam Core Composite
CONSTRUCTION METHOD | Vacuum Infused

https://www.wrightsons.com.au/odern/

Resin supplier says strip planked hoop pine and ply
Hull construction is timber-cored composite. Hoop pine planks were strip planked over a temporary jig of computer cut frames, and edge-glued with WEST SYSTEM brand epoxy mixed with a low density powder modifier.

The inside and outside of the hull was reinforced with multiaxial E-fibregalss and laminated with ATL's high performance KINETIX R246TX laminating resin and H160 Medium hardener.

The remainder of the vessel is marine plywood, with all external surfaces sheathed with E-fibreglass and laminated with WEST SYSTEM brand epoxy. WEST SYSTEM brand epoxy and modifiers, and Techniqlue-CA were used for all structural bonding, filleting and fairing applications on ODERN.

https://www.westsystem.com.au/projects/15-1m-luxury-long-range-cruiser/

North River (OR)and Duckworth (WA) are iconic PNW boat builders with an almost cult like following here that have been around awhile.
I know more about Duckworth being an owner, but I think they are very similar. Welded aluminum originally designed as river sleds and historically powered by jet pumps though mostly powered by outboards these days. Early versions were flatter bottomed to draw as little water as possible in the rivers though I am sure that has changed as they built these bigger saltwater versions.

Mine is powered by a 350 red line Ford in board driving a Berkely pump, 40+ knots and quite hard to steer at that speed! Draws about 4-6" when flat out. At 4500 RPM sucking buckets of fuel through her Holly carb, you can hear her coming from 10 miles away. All around, it would be a much better boat equipped with a modern quiet outboard(s) like the new ones.
Heavy and tough for sure.

Back
Top Bottom