Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi,

Wood build classic trawler 190000£, Looks really seaworthy, Not a luxury, but the development is worthwhile at least in the pictures. Not a luxury, but the development is worthwhile at least in the pictures. Fuel consumption i think big vs size (1,5 gal/nm, 9,5kn)?

SCPImageHandler.scp

more pic and info.

https://www.lochin.com/Boats-For-Sale/LOCH 1369

NBs

Very Very Nice!

Here's a nice one for the former sailors in the ranks...

A really neat feature is the step up pilothouse with the main deck remaining level throughout. A design I appreciate.

https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/1963/wiley-trawler-3575171/

More of a climb up pilot house. It's about 5' straight up from the main deck. There is a vertical ladder. The helm position is like driving a car or truck in that there is a one seat on each side of the "bridge" and a low overhead. There is a deep gap between the bridge seats (for access from the main deck). The size of the bridge prevents standing or walking around the helm.

It is an interesting layout inside. Half inside and half out. All wood construction. The main cabin windows are of an interesting design in how the open and close (no hardware).

I saw this boat at Trawlerfest last year in Baltimore. Asking price was US$125K. I seem to remember it being light blue or light green instead of white at the time.

My boat will be one level through the main cabin with three steps to go up into the pilot house.

Swift of Ipswitch
https://www.dailybreeze.com/2018/01...ro-for-last-phase-of-2-8-million-repair-work/
While walking along the waterfront in San Pedro yesterday I came across this boat, recently launched, so all new paint on the outside, but as yet no rigging at all, not even a start on masts, chainplates etc. The Project Manager came along to chat, so I found out that the have little let=ft of the restoration budget, so no immediate completion plans, but are starting on the interior. When completed, will be part of the LA Maritime Institute youth sailing program. Presently just a good looking, revolutionary privateer schooner without masts. Too bad I didn't have a camera with me.

Here's a nice one for the former sailors in the ranks...

A really neat feature is the step up pilothouse with the main deck remaining level throughout. A design I appreciate.

https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/1963/wiley-trawler-3575171/

Hi MRRiley - Thanks for posting this cool, unique boat. I read the entire review and looked at every photo. We just returned from a weekend on our 34', 1977 Tollycraft tri cabin cruiser.

Custom crafts such as you posted interest me A Lot!. 1965 dad found a beauty custom one-off whose keel was laid 1951. She'd been extensively misused by a 2nd owner. Dad was 3rd owner; he and I restored her... took 3 years of many work hours. 60's to early 80's she remained in our family.

In Brooklyn Navy Yard; the orig owner, designer and builder had been for decades previous the designer and builder of NY Harbor Pilot Boats. She was his retirement boat. At 38', she was a double planked carvel lay-up raised deck sedan model [sort of a cross design between sport fisher and pleasure boat], single screw, SD hull, flying bridge. Outstanding craftsmanship throughout with the finest joinery you could imagine. Varnished honduras mahogany was all the interior and the expansive wrap around deck; also exterior front and sides of salon as well as all walls of the cockpit and flybridge interior. Varnished transom. All exterior varnish had been badly cared for and needed 100% stripping - ouch, ouch, ouch! We ended up keeping the salon interior, cockpit, flybridge interior and transom handsomely refinished varnish. The rest we painted well. 1967 we replaced her tired ol' 155hp Nordberg Night straight 6 cyl gasser with a brand new Perking 185 hp diesel. Having a well designed SD bottom. she was quite economical at 11 to 12 knot cruise; WOT hit 15 knots. With marine diesel being in the 19 to 21 cents per gallon range in the 60's our family did a lot of offshore and inner waterways New England cruising.

I love well designed, well built wooden boats. However, with time seldom available for "correctly" maintaining them... I've for decades been owning and enjoying equally well designed and well built fiberglass boats!

Happy Boating Daze! - Art :speed boat:

How far along are you?
Not far. Made some jigs. Did some layout work on what will eventually become jigs for laying up various bits of framing. Waiting for a time when we aren't knee deep in mud to start setting up my building shed. The weather has been awful. Rain for days then cool sunny extremely windy day or two, then repeat. I may end up and have to blow some boat bucks on regrading and graveling my driveways. :facepalm:

Not far. Made some jigs. Did some layout work on what will eventually become jigs for laying up various bits of framing. Waiting for a time when we aren't knee deep in mud to start setting up my building shed. The weather has been awful. Rain for days then cool sunny extremely windy day or two, then repeat. I may end up and have to blow some boat bucks on regrading and graveling my driveways. :facepalm:

The Karmic forces of the Universe must be delaying you, so you have an opportunity to come to some important realization regarding your build. Have patience and all will be revealed in time for dry ground :D

Does that seem like a lot of money for a 60 year old wood boat??

One that is in this good a shape? No. You can buy one in poor shape and spend five times that restoring it. And, you'll never get your money back. Kinda like old cars.

Few boat ownership scenarios make much financial sense. None of the wooden ones do. It's a labor of love.

Back
Top Bottom