Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought it mentioned 24,000 gal fuel at better than 1 nmpg??

Yeah, it listed 24,000 gal. At 8 gph / 9 kts (1.125 nmpg), that's 27,000 nm before the tanks are bone dry. Or just over 31,000 statute miles, which is probably the number they're using to get 30,000 miles.

Greetings,
Mr. rs. I thought I read 15,000 gallons of fuel. Am I crazier than what I think I am or did they change the spec's?

No idea. I didn't look at the ad until this morning, so I wouldn't know if they changed it.

Greetings,
Mr. rs. I thought I read 15,000 gallons of fuel. Am I crazier than what I think I am or did they change the spec's?

Clean and adjust glasses - I know bout dat... I wear binoculars! :D

Greetings,
Mr. A. I didn't say I needed glasses, I said I was crazy...wait, what?

giphy.webp

Yesterday we accepted an offer on LUCY our 50 ft Navy Utility.

Looking at this. https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1986/cheoy-lee-midnight-lace-52-3019464/

Wondering what known down sides to this builder are. The hull is Airex , which is best , but wonder if the deck and PH are plywood with a slather of GRP on top?

Great looking boat, that one looks very well loved.. big bonus are the new cats. I always have had a soft spot for the Midnight Lace.. even the name sounds sexy. The are about as fuel efficient as you can get at speed too.
Let us know how it proceeds
HOLLYWOOD

Great looking boat, that one looks very well loved.. big bonus are the new cats. I always have had a soft spot for the Midnight Lace.. even the name sounds sexy. The are about as fuel efficient as you can get at speed too.
Let us know how it proceeds
HOLLYWOOD
:iagree::smitten:

Yesterday we accepted an offer on LUCY our 50 ft Navy Utility.

Looking at this. https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1986/cheoy-lee-midnight-lace-52-3019464/

Wondering what known down sides to this builder are. The hull is Airex , which is best , but wonder if the deck and PH are plywood with a slather of GRP on top?
FF, you didn't fall and hit your head did you?

Twin 450 HP, turbo charged, after cooled, electronically controlled engines with electronic throttle and shift controls?

Ted

FF, you didn't fall and hit your head did you?

Twin 450 HP, turbo charged, after cooled, electronically controlled engines with electronic throttle and shift controls?
Fred, Don't listen to OC Diver, go for it! You're the perfect guy to own a boat like this! :popcorn:

That Midnight Lace is a Tad Roberts special, innit?

Wish I had a spare $2m for the restoration, and an extra 5 years.
Those air start Atlas are legendary. Watching Taconite (originally Boeing family yacht, same engines), stop and restart in reverse to come into a dock, was absolutely fascinating.
Pacific Yellowfin has a pair of Atlas too.

https://classicyacht.org/boats/taconite
https://www.pacificyellowfin.com/history

Exterior teak and teak decks? Not for me anymore.
Plus, I cannot figure out what I would do with a boat over 40 ft.

Take it up with the broker, his numbers:

Chauvin, La PRICE REDUCTION!! Used Steel Trawler converted into long range live aboard cruiser. First class long range cruising trawler For Sale. Proven and tested as great sea boat with economical long range cruising ability.Runs on aprox 1 gal per mile. Bottom blasted to white metal and painted.Bilges blasted and painted. All machinery removed and replaced with new. All new cabin converted into living quarters. Ice hold converted into additional living quarters with laundry room and head shower.This is a first class conversion for long range cruising.This boat is exceptionally strong built and no expense spared to keep boat maintenance free with lots of stainless steel everywhere.MUST SEE!!!

Equipment
Bow thruster.
New Scandia 550hp with 500 hours. 8GPH @9 knts.
New Twin Disc 6:1 Gear.
Kubota 40 kw.
Cummins 855 30 KW.
30,000 mile cruising range.
Sitex auto pilot.
Furuno 45 mile Radar with Chart plotter [2] Chart plotter.
Anchor windlass.
Sleeps 10.
6 Ton central AC/Heat.
Washer/dryer.
Ahead Brand USCG approved heads [2], direct discharge, no holding tank required.
Full SS Cap rail/ recessed anchor chute.
Dual steering stations.
Includes 15hp outbord inflatable and 25ft rigid boats

Bloody Nora, an 855 as a genset?
That's what we have as our main.

Check this one out guys. A deluxe, luxury trawler look with a planing hull and twin diesels, but is that a built-in 60 Yamaha O/B get home engine with a walk-around swim platform? Talk about ease of maintenance. Someone help me believe my eyes!

https://eaglecraft.bc.ca/portfolio-item/eaglecraft-43-pilothouse-cruiser/

The Eaglecraft boats are ubiquitous around here, as the builder is located here. Most are built for commercial work such as water taxis and fishing boats but they do make some nice recreational boats as well.
The outboard at the back is used for going at trolling speeds while fishing. Generally recreational boats use trolling valves but this is another option.

Sumner Craft,
How many know what a Sumner Craft is?
I didn’t until I bought one.
It’s a 29’ composit wood and FG.
It’s initially built like a strip planked wood boat.
Plywood sections are cut out like bulkheads and attached to a strongback as in typical wood boat construction. Then the planking is laid on the cross sections that give the hull it’s shape. Next the outside of the hull is fiberglassed in the typical way. Then the whole structure is stiffened to stay aligned while being inverted and re-aligned. Right-side-up and again aligned the formers (like bulkheads) are removed. Then the inside of the hull is fiberglassed. The resulting hull is finished partly like a FG boat and partly like a wood boat.

Looking at pics #3 and 4 show a keel shape that throws water sideways into an advancing propeller blade ... like a jet engine’s stator blades. Extra thrust being the expected advantage.
By the way this was a 1961 boat. Made in Amitiville N.Y.

Attachments

• AF2955E8-3C3A-4E83-A4A5-DC266FB4C5AF.jpg
    AF2955E8-3C3A-4E83-A4A5-DC266FB4C5AF.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 5CDB84E4-18D8-45EC-BFC3-09175FA01899.jpg
    5CDB84E4-18D8-45EC-BFC3-09175FA01899.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 62
  • E01E7437-0619-469A-A78F-0F8BC73E2E19.jpg
    E01E7437-0619-469A-A78F-0F8BC73E2E19.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 3D5DEE1E-CED2-4E8B-BEAE-A0A21747F1FC.jpg
    3D5DEE1E-CED2-4E8B-BEAE-A0A21747F1FC.jpg