Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Out of curiosity - what is the purpose of the slope on the transom? Other that looking quite nice and taking up cockpit space, I can't image it would perform much in the way of function. Any thoughts?

Some sailing yacht designers do this sort of reverse transom in order to lengthen the waterline and increase the hull speed on racing boats. And save weight in the transom area. I’m not sure that would be the case here though. These are 12 meter racing yachts designed like that.

12-metre-challenge-35.jpg

I think so.
In the pic you can see the stern wave coming up and breaking free of the hull right at the transom/bottom edge.

Yup. My beam is only 12' 7". That is about 1' skinnier than my last sailboat!

12'7" beam... with how many feet OAL and at WL?

Our Tolly is 12'6" beam with 34' OAL [swim step not included] and 32' at WL

Last edited:
12'7" beam... with how many feet OAL and at WL?

Our Tolly is 12'6" beam with 34' OAL [swim step not included] and 32' at WL

LOA: 44ft 6 in
Beam: 12 ft 7 in
LWL: 38 ft 3 in
Maximum Draft: 4 ft 6 in
Dry Weight: 31000 lbs

North Pacific Yachts, when they looked to update the NP43, decided to go with a different hull form. They increased the LOA by a foot but the LWL by 3’. They also increased the beam by a foot. This results in a LOT more interior room and with the longer waterline, I would expect it to be slightly faster at displacement speeds. All good decisions I think. My boat is roomy inside. The new NP45 has even more space.

LOA: 45’ 8”
LWL: 41’ 4”
Beam: 13’ 8”
Draft: 4’ 6”
Dry Weight: 34,000 lbs

Reactions: Art
Yup. My beam is only 12' 7". That is about 1' skinnier than my last sailboat!

Yup ....
Sail boats are shaped like women .. wide in the middle.
Trawlers are shaped like men.

Wow talk about a work of art. Not the most practical boat but might make a nice little 6-pack charter boat

https://yachthub.com/list/boats-for-sale/used/power-boats/custom-sv-preana/236230

Yes, it is a very beautiful part of days gone by.....
As one with a history in steam vessels, HOT HOT HOT.
Even if it was offered at a buck two fifty, I still say no thank you.
I wish the new owner and his crew many joyous hours on the boat.
I do hope it will be stored in a shed, out of the sunlight.

I'd like to learn what type milage she gets per BTU/kWh... depending on measurement used to rate that antique engine. The engine use any type of liquid hydrocarbon fuel?

40 hp pushing 55' boat at 12 knots is remarkable.

I quickly reviewed items for the "Spear"; may have missed some explanations.

:speed boat:

One would need to be a licensed steam plant operator.
I guess you could do the research, based upon the name of the steam plant.
I wonder about the boiler.... pressure, last time it was certified etc.
To be honest, IMO, the boat and the steam plant are more trouble than it is worth.
Now, if one wants, they can buy it and donate to a maritime museum for permanent out of the water display.

Now here's a boat if you like polishing.

STEAM engine. When S/V means something different, an Australia thing, instead of SS?

And that interior... nothing else screams wretched excess quite like that purple diamond tufted velvet interior.

That's either a varnishing guy's wet dream... or nightmare.

You're absolutely right about polishing, EVERYWHERE!

Yup ....
Sail boats are shaped like women .. wide in the middle.
Trawlers are shaped like men.

One would need to be a licensed steam plant operator.
I guess you could do the research, based upon the name of the steam plant.
I wonder about the boiler.... pressure, last time it was certified etc.
To be honest, IMO, the boat and the steam plant are more trouble than it is worth.
Now, if one wants, they can buy it and donate to a maritime museum for permanent out of the water display.

Steamboats are a novelty nowadays. There are several groups of DIY steamboat builders around the US. I rarely hear of them spending more than a few hours aboard once or twice a year, usually in cooler weather to boot.

That steam engine looks like it should be making espresso

Last edited:
STEAM engine. When S/V means something different, an Australia thing, instead of SS?

And that interior... nothing else screams wretched excess quite like that purple diamond tufted velvet interior.

That's either a varnishing guy's wet dream... or nightmare.

You're absolutely right about polishing, EVERYWHERE!

I was brought up varnishing boats. It became a love/hate affair when doing it consistently for years... especially during my young years.

Hate Part #1: When a really dilapidated varnish job was provided to me and I could immediately tell the efforts required to get the mahogany stripped. Then get it bleached and sanded to accept new varnish.

Hate Part #2: Incessant sanding between coats.

Love Part #1: Each time applying new brush strokes of varnish.

Love Part #2: Looking at the finished product's beautiful mirror finish with up to 10 coats varnish applied by camel hair brush!

Yup - I've got years of high gloss boat-varnish experience in my youth background. And, Nope - I don't do varnishing at all any longer... not even a little bit. Got my fill of it when young!

Not a stick of varnished wood on our Tolly, and... less that 48 square inches of white painted door trim on its exterior. After dealing with wood boats in the 50's, 60's, and 70's... I really appreciate the ease of maintenance on a well built fiberglass pleasure boat!!!!!

Last edited:
Why do you need to brush a camel's hair? It is like 1/2 inch long :)

Often repeated kind-euphemism to depict high quality, soft, thin material on a brush used for varnishing and other fine finish purposes!!

How many times have you brushed a camel's hair? Me... none, and don't plan too - LOL

Last edited:
Ran across this guy at the customs dock at Roche. Very interesting and Jamaica flagged.

Attachments

• 0808191823_HDR.jpg
    0808191823_HDR.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 94
Ran across this guy at the customs dock at Roche. Very interesting and Jamaica flagged.

Is that a ferry?
The pilot house is a long way back from the bow and the stack seems to be in the way. Other than that, it's a fine looking boat.

She's called Lady Bahi, not sure if charter or privately owned. My Jamaican girlfriend with me was curious who the owner may be, but not much info on the 'net.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_15658334921295081.jpg
    FB_IMG_15658334921295081.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 65
Beautiful... way out of my class!

I just bought this. Now I need to figure out what to do with it. Going to bring it to my farm and work on it in my spare time. I figure about a year before splash. I understand that in boating terms that looks more like three years.
She hasn't had the care she should have had over the last five years or so.
www.boats4work.com/boats/1993-32-ft-ocean-star-pilothouse-trawler[/IMG]

I have been trying to get a picture on my profile. It can't be this hard.

“She’s Lady Bahi”
The owner must be of the Bahi religion.
Or is that Bahai ?

Back
Top Bottom