Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Where you live also factors in.

We have no tow services and no radio in some mountainous inlets. I'd like to think I can fix stuff, or at least give it a good shot, before hitting the 'HELP' button on the Spot Messenger. (We have a 9.9hp kicker on the swim step, so [in theory] wouldn't be totally screwed).

Satellite phone.
Yes, expensive but, a funeral is more expensive.
I have an annual contract for 300 minutes, no roll over. About $650.
I keep it for hurricane season when the cell towers are flat on the ground.

Satellite phone.
Yes, expensive but, a funeral is more expensive.
I have an annual contract for 300 minutes, no roll over. About $650.
I keep it for hurricane season when the cell towers are flat on the ground.

Spot Messenger;

"I AM HERE"

"HELP"

"SOS"

Good enough :thumb:

Attention brightwork aficionadoes!

If you love woodies and brightwork, here is the boat for you. She is a 1926 Hacker and Fermann design but called a Hacker-craft. Now to be honest, I have never heard of Hacker and Fermann but the listing broker says they were somebody important in Naval Architecture back in the day. This beauty can be had for the amazingly low price of $599K. Unfortunately, that doesn't include the covered slip that certainly a buyer will need. But the antique furniture is included. Heck, in 6 more years, this boat will officially be an antique.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/19...or-works--3562118/?refSource=standard listing

Attachments

• Hacker-craft.jpg
    Hacker-craft.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 62
The wooden dhows in the Persian Gulf (stock photo attached) are still being built today, quite expensive actually, and the wood is generally finished in a linseed or other oil (not varnished).

The outhouses bolted to the stern may not pass USCG inspections, but they are 100% reliable!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-12 at 9.28.19 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-07-12 at 9.28.19 AM.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 62
If you love woodies and brightwork, here is the boat for you. She is a 1926 Hacker and Fermann design but called a Hacker-craft. Now to be honest, I have never heard of Hacker and Fermann but the listing broker says they were somebody important in Naval Architecture back in the day. This beauty can be had for the amazingly low price of $599K. Unfortunately, that doesn't include the covered slip that certainly a buyer will need. But the antique furniture is included. Heck, in 6 more years, this boat will officially be an antique.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/19...or-works--3562118/?refSource=standard listing

Back in the day of the craftsman. Try as I might, I'll never reach that level of woodwork or boat building.

The wooden dhows in the Persian Gulf (stock photo attached) are still being built today, quite expensive actually, and the wood is generally finished in a linseed or other oil (not varnished).

The outhouses bolted to the stern may not pass USCG inspections, but they are 100% reliable!

That's a cool looking boat.

Who knew they made a bumper dumper for boats? :lol: That would have to go and a marine head installed.

61Zf62HMuHL._SY300_QL70_.jpg

Check out the last dozen pictures of the Chuck Paine aluminum boat listed a couple pages back on the brokers website. It's pictures of the boat in a bunch of far flung locals. It is the best listing I have ever seen in terms of hitting all the right buttons for my personal boating fantasies. I have probably looked at the listing for this boat a couple hundred times over the last few months, but it is too expensive, and too far away for me. The brokers web site is also listing it as "sold" currently.

https://www.elburgyachting.nl/sp/s5624en.htm

The Hackers of the 30’s and 40’s were famous and classic design “speed boats”.
Inboards and not unusually 24 to over 30’ long. Some were even race boats.
Didn’t know they built cruisers and yachts.

Check out the last dozen pictures of the Chuck Paine aluminum boat listed a couple pages back on the brokers website. It's pictures of the boat in a bunch of far flung locals. It is the best listing I have ever seen in terms of hitting all the right buttons for my personal boating fantasies. I have probably looked at the listing for this boat a couple hundred times over the last few months, but it is too expensive, and too far away for me. The tbrokers web site is also listing it as "sold" currently.

https://www.elburgyachting.nl/sp/s5624en.htm

WOW - that is just about perfect!

People love tailgating, never understood why. Now I see but I'm not sure they should be doing that in public.

People love tailgating, never understood why. Now I see but I'm not sure they should be doing that in public.

wear a bag over your head. Everyone will still know what you are doing but, they wont know who it is.

Imagine the possibilities if that was incorporated into a movie...

Anyone have info on this boat? I like raised deck cruisers but this guy overdoes it a little. I found the pic while I was searching for small boat helm layouts on duckduckgo images.

Attachments

• 802eb2be87cd5d1752cfe8cefd5586c5.jpg
    802eb2be87cd5d1752cfe8cefd5586c5.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 75
Anyone have info on this boat? I like raised deck cruisers but this guy overdoes it a little. I found the pic while I was searching for small boat helm layouts on duckduckgo images.

Kinda looks like the sort of yachts once used for commuter ferrying. Like from Long Island to Wall Street. Wealthy commuters, that is, like Vanderbilt kind of money.

Kinda looks like the sort of yachts once used for commuter ferrying. Like from Long Island to Wall Street. Wealthy commuters, that is, like Vanderbilt kind of money.
Maybe. It's styled after the Lake Union Dreamboats that was popular on Lake Union in Washington state during the '20s and '30s. It almost looks like it may still have the canvas covered decks.

Great ez access place for the life ring! 1st there's one MOB... then there are two! :facepalm:

Maybe. It's styled after the Lake Union Dreamboats that was popular on Lake Union in Washington state during the '20s and '30s. It almost looks like it may still have the canvas covered decks.

Given the two other boats (Ocean Dancer, Nordic Pride) in the picture are out of BC, I'd venture that might be a west coast boat.

Sure does look like something from the 30s. Guess wood hull, it has gas engines. That high bow..... sort of suggests, it handles rough water by sheer force. Glass was not as sturdy back then so, present a small picture to the waves coming over the bow.

I agree, the life ring looks nice but, an odd place to put it.
Sort of, "Roy, your wife fell overboard. If you want, the life ring is on the top of cabin. We'll come back and pick you both up on the way back."

https://historylink.org/File/20366

Last edited:
Great ez access place for the life ring! 1st there's one MOB... then there are two! :facepalm:
Inlaws must have been tagging along. :ermm:

Given the two other boats (Ocean Dancer, Nordic Pride) in the picture are out of BC, I'd venture that might be a west coast boat.

Yeah I was thinking PNW. I didn't think to search for the boats around it.

Sure does look like something from the 30s. Guess wood hull, it has gas engines. That high bow..... sort of suggests, it handles rough water by sheer force. Glass was not as sturdy back then so, present a small picture to the waves coming over the bow.

I agree, the life ring looks nice but, an odd place to put it.
Sort of, "Roy, your wife fell overboard. If you want, the life ring is on the top of cabin. We'll come back and pick you both up on the way back."

https://historylink.org/File/20366

Those old raised deck cruisers do pretty well I'm told but they are usually kind of thin in the beam compared to length.

drmbt-fourboat.JPG

Beautiful boat. I wonder about their claims about not being a dock queen. That boat is a member of my YC. The boathouse that it is in currently appears to be one of the boathouses that is located in our YC basin. Even so, I don’t think I’ve seen that boat out on the water but maybe once. It is not a boat one would easily forget.

Ben2go wrote;
“Those old raised deck cruisers do pretty well I'm told but they are usually kind of thin in the beam compared to length.”

No they aren’t thin .. contemporary boats are just fat. All a mater of how much power was/is at hand.

Ben2go wrote;
“Those old raised deck cruisers do pretty well I'm told but they are usually kind of thin in the beam compared to length.”

No they aren’t thin .. contemporary boats are just fat. All a mater of how much power was/is at hand.

:thumb:

Ben2go wrote;

Old, slender displacement hulls were said to "knife" through the water. And, old slender planing hulls "skipped" over the water.

Reason: Not too much bottom area creating drag.

Usually...Thin hull is economical to power and easy to handle; limited interior room for enjoyment. Often... Fat hull is expensive to run and may be easy to handle - or not; with much comfortable interior space.

Well Art look at the vehicles on the road. Big PU trucks everywhere. They don’t even MAKE small pickups. And a car w less than 125hp is unusual. It’s obvious fuel is cheap. At least in this country.

But it has as much to do w weight as knife like hulls. My 30’ boat weighs 8 tons and is powered w a 40hp engine. If the boat was half that weight (4 tons (a normal weight for a 30’ boat)) it would burn half as much fuel. But I know of no trawler owner on TF that’s reducing the weight of their boats or shopping for a lighter boat. Fuel’s cheap.

Last edited:
DIY composting head ;) Do you think the plywood paddlewheel is marine grade?

Back
Top Bottom