Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Thats cool!
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 05:59 PM   #4744
Guru

City: Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post

I just don't get it 1000's and 1000's of hours building and lets say $80000 in materials then 130 hours and wants to sell it ???????
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 03:41 AM   #4745
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
I just don't get it 1000's and 1000's of hours building and lets say $80000 in materials then 130 hours and wants to sell it ???????
Personally, I think you are underestimating both the time and money involved.

So many reasons to sell the boat...
1. he got older and wants out
2. now that he has proven his skills, he wants a build a bigger boat or perhaps a different type of boat.
3. he wants to pass on his completed creation to the next generation. Loosely translates to, he wont sell it to just anyone with $80,000. The selling process involves interviewing the prospective buyer to ensure his creation will be maintained.
4. an estate sale and they just want to unload the boat, quickly.
5. there are so serious yet to be mentioned by the broker.

A side note, the pics I looked at, did not show the saloon. I wonder .....

I am sure I have missed many reasons for selling the boat.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:59 AM   #4746
Veteran Member

City: Southampton / Los Angeles
Large "Interesting" Looking yacht behind us at Isthmus, Catalina

Don't know if I am a huge fan of the large windows aft of what I think is the bridge. Also not a huge fan of the downward sloping sheer on the bow.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:27 AM   #4747
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
I would guess that for some the creation work is more important than the recreational usage. Same occurred to the guy who built my boat. He spent a gigantic number of hours working on it doing everything from scratch himself and sold it 2 years after having finished.
Sometimes journey is more important than destination

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:17 AM   #4748
Guru

Another nice looking one

1994 Custom Build Trawler, Fort Lauderdale Florida - boats.com

Furniture in the salon are not my style and not reflecting boat style either in my sense but it is a detail.
However I love the engine room and the workbench!

L
Old 12-16-2017, 08:45 AM   #4749
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Quote:
Another nice looking one

Furniture in the salon are not my style and not reflecting boat style either in my sense but it is a detail.

L

I agree with you about the furniture, not my style either. But otherwise, I like it! I could even live with the twins.
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 09:49 AM   #4750
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreLurker View Post
I agree with you about the furniture, not my style either. But otherwise, I like it! I could even live with the twins.
Those fully prop protecting twin keels are pretty cool as well...no safer place to "anchor" than sitting on the beach (tides here can be over 20 feet) of some small protected bay while a storm rages.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:05 AM   #4751
Guru

Quote:
Another nice looking one

L
It is a fantastically equipped, beautiful looking boat but, I caution folks, even I look good in pictures. WINK

The price is more than reasonable.

The furniture ..... appears to be white. Not my favorite color but, I could live with it until I make dirty. SMIRK

Assuming everything works and I was in the market, I would gladly suffer the owner's interview and maybe if I were lucky, I would be worthy of his boat.

The only things I would consider are, active stabilizers and a hydraulically run bow and stern thruster.

Filling up the 2x1400 gallon fuel tanks .... ZOWNS. Once filled, I would never worry about running low on fuel.

Chances are, I could find a crew right here too!!! Don't worry, I wont charge you to be my crew. In fact, I wont charge you for food and fuel. You just have to be good company and knowledgable.

Those Lehman engines will run forever, the generator will produce more than enough power.

I almost wish I was in the market for a boat. SIGH
Old 12-16-2017, 10:30 AM   #4752
Guru

Quote:
Another nice looking one

L
Ideally, the work bench would see little use. The builder selected 2 good main engines and a good generator. Underway, remember to wear your ear muffs. It may be quiet on deck but, that engine room will be a bit busy and noisy.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:40 AM   #4753
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Interesting boats

That boat has been for sale for years. I think it was in the mid $400s back when I first saw it. Isn’t that a lot for an older, non-production steel boat ?

Don’t get me wrong— it’s nice as can be IMO, and I would love to have it. But I think most buyers with that kind of cash seem to gravitate toward Krogans, Nordhavns, etc for easier resale after they are finished with their offshore adventures.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:44 AM   #4754
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
That boat has been for sale for years. Wonder why? I think it was in the mid $400s back when I first saw it. Isn’t that a lot for an older, non-production steel boat ?

Don’t get me wrong— it’s nice as can be IMO, and I would love to have it. But I think most buyers with that kind of cash seem to gravitate toward Krogans, Nordhavns, etc for easier resale after they are finished with their offshore adventures.

I guess that also size matters. Don’t know much people who would be fine with a 60+ boat, either for price of any berth or for the amount of work to maintain it.
If it would be in some years when I plan to have a bigger boat I would be interested in this one but not the right time now, need to finish my work on my current boat and get used to it

L
Old 12-16-2017, 10:46 AM   #4755
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Another nice looking one

L
I'm in love with that boat!

Doing calcs... of 5600 gallons and 3500 range = 1.6 gallons per mile. Wonder what speed is considered most affordable cruise?. If let's say cruise is 10 knots them 16 gph is fuel burn. Not too shabby for a pleasure boat as nice as this!

I appreciate the dual keels! Have contemplated fitting our twin screw Tolly similarly. However, in our boat's case as a planning hull the keels' drag on fast movement through water would limit its speed performance capabilities. Also, cost would never be recovered by the prop and shaft safety that two keels could provide.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:57 AM   #4756
Guru

Quote:
I guess that also size matters. Don’t know much people who would be fine with a 60+ boat, either for price of any berth or for the amount of work to maintain it.
If it would be in some years when I plan to have a bigger boat I would be interested in this one but not the right time now, need to finish my work on my current boat and get used to it

L
It's not a 60+ft boat. It is only 58ft. CHUCKLE

I guess it is near Ft Lauderdale. I would like to go look at it but, it might excite both the broker and owner.

Hmmmm, I own a 75 ft slip. So I guess I have the perfect 'home' for it. The only down side is the number of clearable, fixed bridges I have to clear before I get to the ocean. My 34AT gets lost in my 75ft slip. I almost have to walk back to the aft pilings, to hang up the stern dock lines. For some reason, my feet keep getting wet. That walking on water ain't what it's cracked up to be. SMIRK
Old 12-16-2017, 01:30 PM   #4757
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Just what I have been looking for!! a similar size boat with a fantail stern. I have been in early conversation with a fiberglass shop in a modification to our 27' Marben that would address an extention design to finish out our hull shape that cries for a stern to match the natural flow of the hull. The section of the stern with a full cover area is just what has been sought. Will send these photos on for his consideration and initial estimate.

Al-Ketchikan
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 02:01 PM   #4758
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
Just what I have been looking for!! a similar size boat with a fantail stern. I have been in early conversation with a fiberglass shop in a modification to our 27' Marben that would address an extention design to finish out our hull shape that cries for a stern to match the natural flow of the hull. The section of the stern with a full cover area is just what has been sought. Will send these photos on for his consideration and initial estimate.

Al-Ketchikan
Hope you keep us in the loop when/if things get underway!
Old 12-16-2017, 02:58 PM   #4759
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post

Al-Ketchikan
Be careful Al!

Girls [boat gals included] don't like to hear about public [matter o' fact about any] derogatory comments regarding their butt...

Tell the fiberglass shop to keep plans under wrap. Then you can suddenly haul-her-out and tell her it's simply for "Bottom Improvement".

I don't recommend a local anesthetic for her during the procedure. I do recommend Ether as a general... her counting backwards from 100 should work. Then she'll wake some day all healed up with new paint on her bottom, smiling and back in the water!

Don't be surprised if during first days of cruising she suddenly turns to one side or the other in attempt for her bow to get better look at her new, improved rear features!! She's probably no dummy and will soon realize that her wiggle has changed... wondering just why...

Fellow boat addict - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:25 PM   #4760
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Hope you keep us in the loop when/if things get underway!
What would be nice for this rig pictured, is a small house barge to be towed that had all the amenities one would need, say a 12 foot wide and about 24 foot long, a smaller version of the East Bay Sound house boats you see in the PNW were built in the Seattle area out of plywood covered with glass. Be a neat rig to go gunk holing with, just putt along the coast at a very leisurely pace

Al-Ketchikan
Al is offline   Reply With Quote