jukesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:23 PM   #702
Guru

City: St Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: RunningTide
Vessel Model: 37 Louisiane catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Laker View Post
I ran across this beautiful red-hulled pilot house trawler at its home dock in Picton, ON, while cruising the Trent Severn earlier this summer.
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=260449&postcount=613

In asking around, I learned a local high school principal had the hull made and then finished the interior and mechanicals by himself.

What a great job! Doesn't it tug at your heart?
Reminds me very much of the Pilgrim 40 style:
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...oat-11212.html
brian eiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:43 PM   #703
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Eric, I'm pretty sure the picture is on it's side, not the engine...
Weren't some of the Detroit Diesel inclined over to almost appear to be lying on their side?
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/a...0&d=1387766285

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...nes-12987.html
Old 09-03-2014, 09:30 PM   #704
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Just saw this novel pocket "Cruiser" to use the assumed correct nomenclature for what was called "Trawler":

34' Monterrey Clipper trawler
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:37 PM   #705
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Very curvy, stylish vessel. The flying bridge is always a bit overwhelming on smaller boats, but it's still a nice job.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:03 PM   #706
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
I've never liked a flying bridge on a Monterrey though I understand some where so equipped for particular fisheries.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 12:36 AM   #707
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Concerto
Vessel Model: 1980 Cheoy Lee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
Just saw this novel pocket "Cruiser" to use the assumed correct nomenclature for what was called "Trawler":

Love it! There are some wooden clippers here in santa cruz still fishing commercially.
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:04 AM   #708
Scraping Paint

City: -
Once when the David B was hauled out in the Seaview North yard in Bellingham we noticed the engine was running. Went into the yard and over to the boat. There was a garden hose running up into the cabin. I remarked to one of the people working on the boat that I was surprised the engine need so little water for cooling. He invited me to climb the (long) ladder to the deck and then down into the engine room to see the engine. It was quite an experience to stand next to the thing with all its external moving parts--- pushrods, rockers, flyball governor whirling around.

I was down there for maybe 45 minutes while their engineer explained the workings of the whole engine. Very cool experience.

Even in the large, sometimes noisy Squalicum Marina, when the David B is running over in the commercial basin the sound of its engine is so distinctive it always stands out.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:55 AM   #709
Guru

City: I need a bigger boat!
Vessel Model: Cheetah 25' Powercat.
Quote:

Totally gorgeous interior in that Monterry trawler . A piece of art!
I have saved this for When I build my ultimate trawler!

Old 09-04-2014, 11:16 AM   #710
Al
Guru

Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Marin- When a young fellow of the age 15, I was employed on a fishing boat called the "Nestor". It had a three cyl. 65 hp. Atlas. Coming down Clarence straits during a hellish Southeast one of the nuts holding a valve push rod came undone. The skipper had me come down into the engine room to hold the Coleman lantern while he fished the nut out of the bilge and re-thread it. We did this while the engine was running! Due to the storm and our location, he could not stop the engine. As the engine idled at about 50 RPM or less, though it seemed to be running at top speed as one watched the skipper going up and down with the push rod and attempting to thread the nut. The engine room was damn warm, the boat rolling, fish smell and one scared young man,
I thought of this remembrance as I listened to the video of the David B.
Good times!
Al
Old 09-07-2014, 10:09 AM   #711
Grand Vizier

Seen in Port Townsend.
Attached Thumbnails
Camera roll Sept 2014 183.jpg  
Old 09-07-2014, 02:05 PM   #712

City: Northern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Once when the David B was hauled out in the Seaview North yard in Bellingham we noticed the engine was running. Went into the yard and over to the boat. There was a garden hose running up into the cabin. I remarked to one of the people working on the boat that I was surprised the engine need so little water for cooling. He invited me to climb the (long) ladder to the deck and then down into the engine room to see the engine. It was quite an experience to stand next to the thing with all its external moving parts--- pushrods, rockers, flyball governor whirling around.

I was down there for maybe 45 minutes while their engineer explained the workings of the whole engine. Very cool experience.

Even in the large, sometimes noisy Squalicum Marina, when the David B is running over in the commercial basin the sound of its engine is so distinctive it always stands out.
100 hp @ 325 rpm, that will have a unique sound when at idle of about 50 rpm. The vessels I spent most of my time on were about 40,000 hp @ 112 rpm. Did spend some time on a medium speed diesel with a top engine speed of 450 rpm and a high speed diesel/electric whereas the diesels ran at 900 rpm.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:54 PM   #713
Al
Guru

I'd Bet this rig has been featured in his forum as some point. Within all of us there has to be a drawing towards the allure of traditional heavy cruising yachts of yore, fore runners of the current trawlers.

Orange Coast Yachts

Al
Old 09-08-2014, 04:48 PM   #714
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I've seen that Monterrey Clipper in Anacortes several times. Looks overloaded. Not that fond of it. Looks like it was groomed to be cute.

If it's the enine I think it is that would be the one I wanted for Willy but just before I bellied up to the bar they dropped it from the line. Was about 150 lbs heavier than what I bought and was rated at 42hp @ 2500rpm. With a cast iron exhaust manifold.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:28 PM   #715

City: Jupiter, FL
Vessel Name: SALTY
Vessel Model: FAIRCHILD SCOUT 30
That Blanchard LRC at Orange Yachts is the spitting image of my Pilgrim 40 scaled down!
Billyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:01 AM   #716

City: St Louis
Here's a new listing that certainly would qualify as an "interesting boat"...
American Marine Chantyman

Someone has certainly put a lot of time, money and devotion into getting a 1963 woody into this kind of shape:

Interesting PH windows! I know it's not every day you end up with waves on the windscreen, but that sure does look like a lot of surface area, no? Fantastic view most days, but should one we worried about the 1% day?
Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:23 AM   #717
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
What me worry?

Can't imagine a wave getting over that bow unless there's way too much ground tackle weight up there. No. I wouldn't worry about the windows. Only if you damaged one of those curved segments. The Willard 36 is similar. But I really like good visibility. On this boat I'd be inclined to be more concerned about the CG being too high if one really wanted to worry about something .. but it probably isn't.

I really like the boat. It reminds me of this boat ..
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0567 copy 2.jpg  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:27 AM   #718
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. A. Interesting indeed-thanks but holy cow $282K for a 35'? Would HAVE to be for exactly the right buyer. From the pictures that vessel is boat show winner material.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:53 AM   #719

City: St Louis
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
What me worry? Can't imagine a wave getting over that bow unless there's way too much ground tackle weight up there.

I looked again at some other angles.... you are correct - there is a whole lot of bow on that boat!

Very nice older woodie that someone else has already brought up into modern shape.
Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:21 AM   #720
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyfeet View Post
That Blanchard LRC at Orange Yachts is the spitting image of my Pilgrim 40 scaled down!
I was thinking that same thing about the similar looks,....except for the scaling observation

Pilgrim 40
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...oat-11212.html

original quote...
Quote:
I'd Bet this rig has been featured in his forum as some point. Within all of us there has to be a drawing towards the allure of traditional heavy cruising yachts of yore, fore runners of the current trawlers.
Orange Coast Yachts