Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had a talk with the broker and came away NOT feeling warm and fuzzy. If the boat comes with free motor, via grants, why is the free motor not taken care of before the auction?

I think the grants were based on the use of the boat. For example, if it was a business grant, it wouldn't be available for a buyer who used the boat only for recreation.

My impression was that a buyer would want to go in with a solid business plan, and a fat wallet. Not something I'm ready to take on, but it would be great to see the old girl back in service.

Guess that's akin to the reasoning why you can get free by filing for divorce till after you're married! :popcorn: :eek: :dance:

I think the grants were based on the use of the boat. For example, if it was a business grant, it wouldn't be available for a buyer who used the boat only for recreation.

My impression was that a buyer would want to go in with a solid business plan, and a fat wallet. Not something I'm ready to take on, but it would be great to see the old girl back in service.

Thank you Captain Tom. I appreciate your reply.

I'm not sure what Art was trying to say.

I'm not sure what Art was trying to say.

Legal nonsense.

Just trying to be funny about the item regarding "free" engine ... but, not until after purchase - with seemingly no guarantee of "free" even then. Similar to some marriages that get disbanded but never really seem to dissipate nor enable full "freedom"! - LOL :facepalm: :dance:

Legal nonsense.

Just trying to be funny about the item regarding "free" engine ... but, not until after purchase - with seemingly no guarantee of "free" even then. Similar to some marriages that get disbanded but never really seem to dissipate nor enable full "freedom"! - LOL :facepalm: :dance:

I understand now. And agree.

I had a talk with the broker and came away NOT feeling warm and fuzzy. If the boat comes with free motor, via grants, why is the free motor not taken care of before the auction?

If you purchase the boat, there is a possibility of perhaps maybe getting assistance on a replacement engine if the stars align, and you are facing the correct direction while doing a naked dance by the light of a full moon . . . . . . If it were easy, or even really possible, I believe they would have already done it . . . .

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-13 at 10.43.50 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-06-13 at 10.43.50 PM.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 41
This one will be for sale for a while - even after price reductions.

Agree. Seems like a price driven by dollar signs in the eyes, throw it out there and see if someone is naive/desperate/deep-pocketed enough to throw shovel fulls of money to buy it.

Here's an interesting retro-boat, new(ish) but styled and built (wood) to look like something perhaps from the 1930's? Also might be an equally crazy price:

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/2003-van-dam-sedan-cruiser-8356038/

2003-van-dam-sedan-cruiser-8356038

Seems like a price driven by dollar signs in the eyes, throw it out there and see if someone is naive/desperate/deep-pocketed enough to throw shovel fulls of money to buy it.

Very common occurrence. Seller prices his boat based on what it cost him, how much he had invested.

I thought this was a pretty stout looking trawler. I am a sucker for super tough looking boats. The price seems outrageous to me, but maybe that's were the market it at?

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1991-cruisers-gooldrup-live--aboard-8354994/

Did you notice the propane storage? Over $650k usd, and the propane storage is a $50.00 plastic Tuff Bin from Lowes?!?

Also solar panels look like they were attached as an after thought. When mounted, you can't sit on the fly bridge seating . . .:nonono:

Wow, just wow . . . .

It's a Gooldrup built boat. Locally known for very high quality fishing vessels. Even trawlers. :)

Some retired fisherman will buy it and be very happy running it up to Alaska (on the outside) every year.

7000 eng hours. Lots of mileage on a 30+ yr old boat for that amount of money.

That 195 hp Cummins 855 is a 20,000 hour engine.

I'm sure it can be. I was more pointing out that the boat has had a lot of use, not just the engine. That can be good or bad depending on the owner.

7000 eng hours. Lots of mileage on a 30+ yr old boat for that amount of money.

Almost anything can be a good deal, or a bad deal, depending on the price. Seems high priced to me as well.

FWIW, I found the late David Pascoe's writings to be educational, including his thoughts on diesel engines (he also wrote a great book with more detail) -

https://www.yachtsurvey.com/engines.htm

It is a "concept" and I doubt if any have been built and maybe never will be built.

You’re absolutely right, it’s a concept unlikely to ever get off the drawing board, but what a wild, audacious, and thoroughly entertaining one!

Who could ever have thought of even the idea of a hydrofoil submarine? It speaks to James Bond wanna-bes everywhere.

If not already posted, this certainly is interesting:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/d/gabriola-offshore-trawler-lrc/7497044849.html

If it comes with a full tank, that is a 13k benefit

Fantastic. Love the minimalist/KISS approach, just need that third stateroom. Fun name too: "Aluminauti"

No wing/get-home engine, and a 10kW welder/generator... I don't know enough about welders to understand how that'd work. Are they really designed for continuous duty? Seems like a very different application.

This is my kind of meat and potatoes boat. Stand up engine room, drill press, bench grinder, welder, oh yeah! I’d spend the next couple years beautifying it. Of course, I didn’t see anything about the draft but it’s probably too deep for around here.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom