Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting for sure... My Comments on - "Life Proof 35' Full Cabin":

1. Our 34' Tollycraft tri cabin has oodles more comfortably usable room; both inside and outside.

2. Tolly's 5 seater fly bridge gives your eyes great oversight of everything - 360 degree full-view... all the time. Seating on bridge places person's eye-line 14' above water line. Standing increases that number to 16' +. Can't tell you [you simply have to experience] how great that greatly elevated eyesight vantage point is for visuals of all sorts while cruising, docking or sitting at anchor!

3. Tolly's 12'6" beam enables a 9' x 8'6" wide open and yet fully SS guard railed sundeck over top of stern master stateroom. Comfortable seating, BBQing, eating... etc at seated eyelevel some 10' above water line.

4. Tolly draft is 2'10" - but in fairness... Life Proof has reduced draft capabilities [down to 2'] by raising the outboards. With outboards down it's approximately same draft as our Tollycraft.

5. Tolly has two fully equipped heads... both with "in room" shower nozzles and drain-pan pumps.

Life Proof is fast for sure! Where our Tolly likes to cruise neatly on full-plane at 16 to 17 knots; averaging 1 nmpg --- Life Proof stats:"... cruising time to Poulsbo at a “slow cruise” of 28 knots was 30 minutes, burning less than 15 gallons of fuel. That = approx same nmpg as our Tolly [1 nmpg] - accomplishing the trip in a little more than 1/2 the time... Tolly would have take one hour instead of Life Proof's 1/2 hour.

Relaxing cruise can be wonderful fun... arrival at destination is the topping to the cake. Although our Tolly can easily cruise at 17 knots on full plane... doing 7 knots is truly relaxing and we often keep her to that speed... averaging 2+ nmpg!

Interesting for sure... "Life Proof 35' Full Cabin"

Also very interesting... "Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin". At a tiny fraction of the overall cost for ownership!!

Art,

You make a good point, but most any older boat will cost less and often a LOT less. My Mainship, which is very similar to yours, is another example but a bit newer and a few more features, still a lot less than the Life Proof.

However, I could be a candidate for the Life Proof, years from now when the purchase price starts to compete with our boats. However, it really needs a fly bridge in place of those stupid skylights, and get rid of that stupid European sink! Hate those.... one of many reasons I didn't buy a Beneteau (the Volvo was the main reason).

And love the bow ladder set up... cleaver.

"It needs a great deal of tender loving care to bring it up to its full potential."
Was it sunk?
Not only TLC but also a fat check book containing lots of cash.
Run away!!!

I don't know the boats history. I thought it was an interesting desgin. i have never seen a boat similar to it.

Mid 20th Century: "Steelcraft" mono hull pleasure boats were available. Quite a few on New England inside waters... for a while. Rust begin to really show up. Sales plummeted!! That house boat might be from a dream in someone's mind from seeing Steelcraft boats.

Steelcruisers Steelcraft History page

Quotes: "In May of 1950 Churchward and Co. reorganized under the name Steelcraft Boats, Inc. In September 1952, Steelcraft Boats, Inc. filed bankruptcy."

[During better days!] - - - "The Steelcraft line ranges in price from $2,295 for a 20-foot Sea Dog Utility with a 4-cylinder Gray model 475D engine, to $10,985 for the new 35-foot two-stateroom sedan. The prices for the 26-foot models range from $3,797 for the Holiday cruiser with a Gray 116 h.p. red. model to $8,201 for a twin-screw twin-stateroom deluxe sedan equipped with two Gray model 6220D engines. Engine installations with power up to 360 h.p. can be installed if so desired. Steelcraft has standardized on the Gray and Packard engines.

In addition to the firm's stock boats, it is currently turning out (under a $1,000,000 contract) one 45-foot boat weekly, and one 32-foot daily for the Creole Petroleum CO., for use in Venezuelan offshore fields. These are extremely rugged, Diesel-powered boats designed by Philip L. Rhodes expressly y for this service. The Churchward Company is also engaged on government development projects.

Fifty-four-old Jack Churchward is a metallurgical engineer and a graduate of Exeter, Princeton and the University of Göttingen, Germany. He holds more than fifty patents, and much evidence of his ingenuity, and that of his chief engineer, Marcus A. Hall, and his superintendent, George Lawlor, is to be found in the equipment and arrangement of the plant."

Cool. Thanks for the info. I thought this boat was a one off. I have never seen another one.

Heh, "retro", a modern term for hopeless money pit.

One has to think the salvage value for the metal might be the only bargain to be found from that.

I agree with you on all points. It's still a cool looking old house barge.

Here's one I thought was interesting:
00g0g_fXtEfWLmv9nz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/boa/d/anacortes-allen-farrel-design-ancient/7390295454.html

I thought the asking price of $10,500 was darn reasonable. I can appreciate the wood work, without wanting to personally UPKEEP the wood work!

https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/boa/d/anacortes-allen-farrel-design-ancient/7390295454.html

I thought the asking price of $10,500 was darn reasonable. I can appreciate the wood work, without wanting to personally UPKEEP the wood work!
Shades of Hans Christian design? https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sale/used/sailing-boats/hans-christian-33/268482
The (sloping)transom hung rudder is reminiscent of Herreschoff design, also seen on the Nordic Folkboat, the rudder becomes an extension of the full long keel.
Looks like a good buy for the right buyer.

I thought the asking price of $10,500 was darn reasonable. I can appreciate the wood work, without wanting to personally UPKEEP the wood work![/QUOTE]

Id love to hear the story of building it on Jedediah Island. Launching must have been an endeavor. Home Bay? Long Bay?

Shades of Hans Christian design?
The (sloping)transom hung rudder is reminiscent of Herreschoff design, also seen on the Nordic Folkboat, the rudder becomes an extension of the full long keel.

Somewhat reminiscent of a Tahiti Ketch. Junk rigs have been popular in BC ever since Jester.

Attachments

• tahiti_ketch_drawing.jpg
    tahiti_ketch_drawing.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 31
Crossroads, you mentioned how junk rigs are becoming more popular. I can see that, like many things from those inscruitable chinese, these rigs have many subtlties, benefits, not normally known by westerners.

This long predates Hans Christian designs. More of a Colin Archer design than anything.

Allen Farrell is legendary here on the BC coast. Born here in Powell River. Or more accurately, born in what is now Powell Lake, as his homestead was flooded when the mill built the dam. (The area is still known as Daniel's Landing, Farrell's original name.).

He built his boats pretty much on the beach with hand tools and wood from the local forest.

Here is a decent history of Allen Farrell:

https://sea-to-summit.net/2011-the-farrells-of-lasqueti-island-the-road-less-travelled/

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that story.
I recall seeing the China Cloud at anchor in a tiny cove of False Bay several times in the 80s. Lasqueti and the tiny islands surrounding it have always attracted the most independent types of mariners. Consequently will continue to be a much sought out place to get away from the more mundane when cruising Georgia Strait.

NS, thank you. That is indeed a good read.

My persistent memory is seeing China Cloud and a flurry of smaller traditional craft in Ballet Bay.

Boat is a derivative of a redingskoite. Most closely looks like a cousin of “Eric” to my eye.

I forgot to mention, the original boat "Ocean Bird" is here in Powell River.

Well then, buy her and sail her back home. :)
The last time a friend came through the Panama canal in his 30 foot sailboat it cost him nearly $6000. It would be an expensive proposition to get her to the east coast. I also don't have the year or more it may take to sail around to the east coast.

The last time a friend came through the Panama canal in his 30 foot sailboat it cost him nearly $6000. It would be an expensive proposition to get her to the east coast. I also don't have the year or more it may take to sail around to the east coast.

Yes, it is the most expensive 50 mile trip (canal) one can make by boat.

How come?
It cost me a total $1200 canal fees to take our 65ft SY east to west, a few years ago, plus 2 x $50 for linehandlers.

Last edited:
How come?
It cost me a total $1200 canal fees to take our 65ft SY east to west, a few years ago, plus 2 x $50 for linehandlers.

And a licensed Captain.
But hey, think of the experience, things you will see and learn and bragging rights.

I would say, "a fine piece of American nautical history" but I am older. :facepalm:
Does it come with the boat house?
Wooden hull, I am really not interested

Most of us around here are the human version of wooden hulls, hopefully people are still interested in us.

And a licensed Captain.
But hey, think of the experience, things you will see and learn and bragging rights.

Man up, save the $1300 and keep heading south for some *real* bragging rights once you get home!

(he says from the comfort of his couch...)

Most of us around here are the human version of wooden hulls, hopefully people are still interested in us.

If we were only as restorable/maintainable!

That is a really nice looking Chris I pictured... CC and my family had love affair in 1950's [I was young]. The Chris was a 1948. Working in boat yards on LI and in Maine during 60's and 70's I was aboard a lot of Christ Craft boats. Also boarded them as improved models rolled out at NY Boat Show in Madison Square Gardens.

How come?

Probably spent three weeks at Shelter Bay marina waiting their turn - at like $200 a night ;)

We have this big girl parked beside us today hiding out from the Northerlies
The Restless M, a rather robust looking unit she be.

Attachments

• Annotation 2021-10-28 112021.jpg
    Annotation 2021-10-28 112021.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 42
Back
Top Bottom