Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Speaking of converted classic military vessels, one of the more beautiful ones I’ve seen around the ‘net.
https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1944-custom-96-my-7702467/

1944 fast pilot rescue boat that wasn’t finished before the war ended, mothballed until converted in the 1970’s.

For me, I’d have to convert the built in wine cellar to a steam sauna :thumb:

Attachments

• 3A7E0C77-B13E-4304-A152-37DD549D3942.jpg
    3A7E0C77-B13E-4304-A152-37DD549D3942.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 55
  • EF9668DD-1841-4469-8943-9DF3F17E8EFF.jpg
    EF9668DD-1841-4469-8943-9DF3F17E8EFF.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

Certainly not my kind of boat. I kept watching, waiting for the engine room shots. Probably designed for people who day cruise and don't check the oil.

Ted

I was on a Cape Horn years ago. Might have been this one. At the time, it was called a Z-drive, now a ThrustMaster. Beautiful boat. Original owner made it perfect for cruising with his wife. Coming down, she fell down. When they got to here, he took her to the hospital. She was diagnosed with bone cancer. They flew back to their home, he called a broker.... put the boat up for sale and never stepped onboard that boat again. Really sad.

That tiled bathroom is a bit much. IMO, it needs something to break up the pattern.

Last edited:
Up close look at Tango Too

This Cape Horn has a Volvo sail drive get home for trolling or getting home. Cape Horn website from 2001 talks about always being able to steer.

We were on a three hour tour of Lake Union and a little loop out the Mountlake cut this morning. Warm gray skies, Rainier just showing her skirts and three other boats on Lake Washington. Two of those coming out the cut as we poked along back in.

We cruised by Tango Too to get the water view and then stopped by on our way home. She looks good up close too. Some deferred paint maintenance showing and the listing mentioned a couple other systems that need work.

Not a trawler but a useful day boat. No need to moor, just drive it up the ramp or beach to your house.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/boats-marine/motorboats/listing/3308636479?bof=r3h5B3PB

View attachment 122261

A similar concept was built back in the 70s. A tow hitch folded out of the bow and wheels in the back. It was designed to be towed behind a car. Even had trailering lights built in.

A customer of mine had one. The interesting part was vehicle registration or boat registration? My recollection was that he registered it as a boat as boat trailer license plates are almost never checked.

Ted

As I understand it, beach launches are very common in NZ. With this no need to damage a vehicle.

This is from a website that sells watches, but the story is about a boat that I would consider "interesting," to say the least.

THE STORY OF THE ETERNA KONTIKI - Coronet - Rolex Stories

You bet.

An uncle gave me his book during my teenage years. Partially responsible for who I am today.

There was a major (sort of) motion picture about it in 2013 from a Norwegian production house and the Weinstein Company, never saw it other than the trailer which showed of course a lot of extra dramatic license. Nominated for some awards though.

You’ve motivated me to try to find his original film documentary from 1951. Pieces are on YouTube.

Not a trawler but a useful day boat. No need to moor, just drive it up the ramp or beach to your house.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/boats-marine/motorboats/listing/3308636479?bof=r3h5B3PB

View attachment 122261

Watched video - Looks "Stodgy" [to say the least] moving too low slung in the water while slowly moving through the water. 740 total hp in twin diesels??? Put a prop and wings on it - that's enough power to fly!

At first blush... being that it is a years old, $3M cost, govt requisition - that has only 100 hours use - to me = a failed boat design experiment!

I like it and would give serious consideration to buying it but, I own a boat. SMILE

And for less than the price of a SeaPiper 35. WOW!!

Yes but a Seapiper is not 30+ years old and almost 4000 hrs on the engine. Not that I am a big fan of the Seapiper, but kind of apples and oranges IMO.

Attachments

• kon tiki.jpg
    kon tiki.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
As I understand it, beach launches are very common in NZ. With this no need to damage a vehicle.
Not watched a launching but have seen a landing, of a jet boat, driven up the beach at speed to the waiting trailer. Jet boats are popular on NZ lakes and rivers.

If you like Kon Tiki perhaps you will like the stories of Hokule’a, too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hōkūleʻa

We were tied up next to Hokule’a when she was in Yarmouth, NS. Very interesting to hear how the Polynesian navigators did their thing. Crew quarters were spartan, to say the least. Imagine crossing the Pacific in that vessel!

We were tied up next to Hokule’a when she was in Yarmouth, NS. Very interesting to hear how the Polynesian navigators did their thing. Crew quarters were spartan, to say the least. Imagine crossing the Pacific in that vessel!

Unbelievable courage. When they set out on the long voyages, they not only didn't know their destination, they didn't even know if there was a destination.

James Norman Hall (Bounty Trilogy) wrote an excellent novel about just that. I recommend it highly. The Far Lands

Amazon has it for $4.75 (0.99 on Kindle)

Last edited:
" Koomooloo" Halvorsen 60

https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boat...s/halvorsen-motor-cruiser-halvorsen-60/267654
0_3.jpg

"KOOMOOLOO" was designed for long range ocean passages, she has 8000 to 12,000 nautical mile
range, she has 7 tonnes of lead ballast allowing her to recover from a 90 knockdown. Forward facing
windows are of 5/8" armour plate glass, the side windows are 3/8" armour plate glass and can be
fitted with perspex storm shutters."

Read on. Built in aluminum/aluminium in 1976,fitted with twin Gardiners, this Halvorsen has circumnavigated, and is definitely worth reading up on. It sold quickly after listing. It obviously could use some creature comforts updating, and the photos are below par, but truly an interesting and unusual boat in my view.

Last edited:

Mid 20th Century: "Steelcraft" mono hull pleasure boats were available. Quite a few on New England inside waters... for a while. Rust begin to really show up. Sales plummeted!! That house boat might be from a dream in someone's mind from seeing Steelcraft boats.

Steelcruisers Steelcraft History page

Quotes: "In May of 1950 Churchward and Co. reorganized under the name Steelcraft Boats, Inc. In September 1952, Steelcraft Boats, Inc. filed bankruptcy."

[During better days!] - - - "The Steelcraft line ranges in price from $2,295 for a 20-foot Sea Dog Utility with a 4-cylinder Gray model 475D engine, to $10,985 for the new 35-foot two-stateroom sedan. The prices for the 26-foot models range from $3,797 for the Holiday cruiser with a Gray 116 h.p. red. model to $8,201 for a twin-screw twin-stateroom deluxe sedan equipped with two Gray model 6220D engines. Engine installations with power up to 360 h.p. can be installed if so desired. Steelcraft has standardized on the Gray and Packard engines.

In addition to the firm's stock boats, it is currently turning out (under a $1,000,000 contract) one 45-foot boat weekly, and one 32-foot daily for the Creole Petroleum CO., for use in Venezuelan offshore fields. These are extremely rugged, Diesel-powered boats designed by Philip L. Rhodes expressly y for this service. The Churchward Company is also engaged on government development projects.

Fifty-four-old Jack Churchward is a metallurgical engineer and a graduate of Exeter, Princeton and the University of Göttingen, Germany. He holds more than fifty patents, and much evidence of his ingenuity, and that of his chief engineer, Marcus A. Hall, and his superintendent, George Lawlor, is to be found in the equipment and arrangement of the plant."

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom