Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
@ Mako, from the ad (from the link above): Asking Price:$39,500

If I were in the area of this boat, I would definitely go and look at it. If it really has been maintained as well as it appears, it would be a very good place for someone to start.

Nice boat and seems to be free since there’s no mention of a price

Mako, I've always valued your posts. What to you think of this French boat the Meta, Ecotroll 39? Shsllow draft so ok for Great Loop and European canals, long range 2000nm so can go anywhere, real strong 1/2 thick alu hull, twin keel finds so can sit on the beach, redundant systems, 2 diesels, 2 electric motors, hybrid, and kite sail. The best I've seen in that class of small boat.

@JWellington, it’s an interesting boat. If I recall, the Strongall concept is Brent Swain’s origami idea but taken to a commercial level, and very successfully.

You need to consider if the hybrid drive really gains you anything significantly for YOUR needs. There will be a big price tag for that system and it gains you nothing for long distance cruising.

However, for quietly and ecologically putting around for 20-30 miles it would work.

I would suggest that you consider a single diesel of moderate power - don’t overpower like the majority of today’s “trawlers.”

Last edited:
Oh shoot, I hope I didn't just start another "twins versus single" debate!

There should be no debate. Some like singles and some like twins. Personally I don't want to convince anyone to like what I like... that's my preference. I respect others' preferences. Requesting similar respect in return! :D

yes. The Captain controlled the bow with the anchor/bow thruster and stern with engines I would guess... Expert bit of seamanship right there.

That’s a pretty sketchy situation. I’d need my brown trousers for that one. I feel like his quarter came up against pretty hard, too. His boat’s probably built a little more stoutly than mine. I’d have damage after a landing like that :/

@JWellington, it’s an interesting boat. If I recall, the Strongall concept is Brent Swain’s origami idea but taken to a commercial level, and very successfully.

You need to consider if the hybrid drive really gains you anything significantly for YOUR needs. There will be a big price tag for that system and it gains you nothing for long distance cruising.

However, for quietly and ecologically putting around for 20-30 miles it would work.

I would suggest that you consider a single diesel of moderate power - don’t overpower like the majority of today’s “trawlers.”

Mako, thanks. But why 20-30 miles, instead of around the world? It can go 2000nm, at 6kts.on 534gallons of diesel, in 2X60hp Nanis. Plus the kite sail, plus the solar. That's not ...overpowered, but redundancy, right? The Norwegians who are making almost everything hybrid now, claim about 20-30% gain by it. I'll bet they would let it do the Northwest Passage. It has CE-A rating.

According to their website the boat will have a range under electric power of about 30 miles. So the point to consider is what you will do with that range? You can’t cross an ocean. But if you and your family enjoy quiet little gunkholing locally, trying not to disturb wildlife, then that might be a big plus for you.

I would go 2000nm at 6kts on only 540 gal or diesel. What's wrong with that? And, if both motors break down, there are still the electric ones, and the sail. More redundancy for safety than most boats surely. If we compare to others of this size, why would another be better? For me speed is of no significance.

Ok, so when I travel, I like to go to harbors and marinas to see boats and how they are set up etc. The visits are always interesting. So I found these two floating boats. These are pics at the Boston Harbor last week. One is clearly is a live-a-board for our feathered friends. Note the doors to keep out the weather and the cleats. The other is interesting as well. Looks like a great little boat. I could not get close enough to tell the make or model, but it appeared to be about 25-30 feet long, and looks to be a work boat, like a harbor tender. Any ideas why the fuel tanks on the swim platform? I would think this is risky.

Attachments

• Duck House.jpeg
    Duck House.jpeg
    156.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Boston Harbor Boat.jpeg
    Boston Harbor Boat.jpeg
    183.8 KB · Views: 43
Think the Meta yard (Strongall) never had anything to do with B.Swain. He builds in Fe. Meta builds in heavy thickness Al.
Swain has had his difficulties on the internet. Recall he was barred from SailNet and maybe others. meta boats are well thought of by the cruisers I’ve known.
https://bluenomads.blog/our-boat/aluminiumboats/ A blog summarizing the basics.

Think the Meta yard (Strongall) never had anything to do with B.Swain. He builds in Fe. Meta builds in heavy thickness Al.
Swain has had his difficulties on the internet. Recall he was barred from SailNet and maybe others. meta boats are well thought of by the cruisers I’ve known.
https://bluenomads.blog/our-boat/aluminiumboats/ A blog summarizing the basics.
I followed his stuff for a while. He has a bad attitude and attacks people for having ideas or opinions different than his. It also came to light that he lied about his boating experience and doing a circumnavigation in one of his sailboats he designed. He's pretty much banned from all boating forums he signed onto. He's tried to come back under false aliases but his posts really stand out and he's quickly banned again. I've seen his plans and his boats. I can't say if his technique is solid but in the long run, it really doesn't save time or money. It just gets a builder a hull shape a little faster than some other methods. Van de Stadt, in my opinion, has a better build technique that equates to a better boat and stronger hull. Several people have built their hulls in under two weeks with one guy doing it in a week. That's not a fully welded hull. That's a full shaped and tack welded hull. This method can also be done for plyweird construction. Frames go in after the hull is shaped and tabbed together with epoxy and fiberglass.

Van de Stadt Design - Yacht Designers and Naval Architects

6.jpg

Last edited:
Most people kedge off. That big boy kedged in. I would buy that anchor a fresh a new coating.:thumb:

What type of anchor.
LOL
I suspect it was a large Navy type anchor.

Last edited:
I was very interested to read (on Van der Stadt's site, and others) that the hull is only about 20% of the cost of a new vessel. That figure certainly reinforces my idea that the best next boat to buy is one that someone else has put a lot of time and energy into, before sale. These musings came up when, once again, I was thinking about building a new boat... I usually lie down until the feeling passes, but it keeps coming back!

A bit OT; sorry, but this is my favourite thread here, and I imagine it's the same for the regulars!

What type of anchor.
LOL
I suspect it was a large Navy type anchor.

It can be done with any suitable anchor but usually in light to no winds. Most cruising boats carry a Navy or Danforth anchor with a short length of chain and a long rope rode. I've kedge off before but not in a boat of any real size.

https://cruise2click.com/2021/08/06/pardey-cruising-tip-kedging-out/

I was very interested to read (on Van der Stadt's site, and others) that the hull is only about 20% of the cost of a new vessel. That figure certainly reinforces my idea that the best next boat to buy is one that someone else has put a lot of time and energy into, before sale. These musings came up when, once again, I was thinking about building a new boat... I usually lie down until the feeling passes, but it keeps coming back!

A bit OT; sorry, but this is my favourite thread here, and I imagine it's the same for the regulars!

Yes, most money is in finishing and fit out. I owned an upholstery shop. I did auto, boat, and RVs. People suffer sticker shock when I would tell them that their 24 foot pontoon is going to cost $5000 to $6000 to redo the upholstery back close to OE. Most of them paid that for a ratty old pontoon thinking a few hundred dollars would set it right. One guy brought a 27 ft Bayliner in and want the boat gutted. This was when I worked with the man that taught me the trade. When he and the owner went over what he wanted done to the boat, he nearly passed out when boss told him $27,000 to do what he wanted done. That was after calling and pricing every thing to get an accurate price. That wasn't a maybe we can do it price. It was a that's what it will cost. He did want to gut and rebuild the entire boats cuddy and make some additions. He also wanted to redo all exterior soft surfaces, redo the bimini, and make a fitted cover for the cockpit that covered the windshield. I should make a note here that all these prices were between 1995 and 2000 when I closed my shop.

This is almost exactly what he had. The hull is the same but the top and enclosure was different.

39421851_614.jpg

What Ben relates in post 10880 is why:

You should purchase a good brand boat that has been well cared for, used respectfully and is in fine condition with needed equipment aboard... at a distressed price [in comparison to its fine condition] due to its seller's need to sell quickly... for one reason or another.

Boats such as that are out there. Usually it takes diligent shopping to locate that great of a deal. Ocassionally you simply fall into the deal. One way or another... if the boat needs much work to bring it up to par, even if purchase price is low - you may need to spend a fortune to bring it up to par.

And, that's the truth! Go ahead; ask me how I know!! I'll bet you can guess...

Happy Boat-Shopping Daze - Art :speed boat: :thumb: :D

You should purchase a good brand boat that has been well cared for, used respectfully and is in fine condition with needed equipment aboard... at a distressed price [in comparison to its fine condition] due to its seller's need to sell quickly... for one reason or another.

Boats such as that are out there. Usually it takes diligent shopping to locate that great of a deal. Ocassionally you simply fall into the deal. One way or another... if the boat needs much work to bring it up to par, even if purchase price is low - you may need to spend a fortune to bring it up to par.

Happy Boat-Shopping Daze - Art :speed boat: :thumb: :D

Art, while I'm not going to totally disagree with you, you can end up with a very nice boat with all new soft goods at a very good price. The trick is to get estimates from the repair facilities before you negotiate the price. Really no different than required service work on engine(s) or generator.

Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post

Happy Boat-Shopping Daze - Art

Art, while I'm not going to totally disagree with you, you can end up with a very nice boat with all new soft goods at a very good price. The trick is to get estimates from the repair facilities before you negotiate the price. Really no different than required service work on engine(s) or generator.

Ted

Ted - Your purchase method is also quite correct... on a different angle than mine!

Over my many decades of purchasing, enjoying and then selling boats [other vehicles too]: Found that I prefer not experiencing the hassle of too much deep-down horse-trading with a boat seller to arrive at discount from asking price [item repairs before purchase??] that I feel is the true dollar value for a boat.

I would rather select [locate] a boat already in really good condition that needs little if any expensive repairs/refurbishments - and - that already has asking price I can work with. I make cash offers when applicable. Usually vehicles [of any type] that in this position on the market last a very short time before they are snapped up by someone. Personally, I don't purchase or sell very often; but, when I do "The Price Is Right" in my estimation.

So... as eves pass with TV shows rolling on in background [I'd shut it down but - Happy Wife/Life... and all that stuff! LOL] I often sit with lap top open searching what vehicles are for sale. End result of purchases I make are usually well appreciated by the sellers [they] and the buyer [me]. Because: "They" sell something they need/want to offload, for one reason or another. "Me" gets something I need/want to own for one reason or another. A true win/win for both parties in which I don't feel as though I overspent.

People who need/want to sell are often quite amenable to price discussions and discounts when appropriate. Cash deals can be quickly made and closings fast accomplished. Unlike persons who feel their much loved "baby" boat [or other type vehicle] is simply worth more than in reality it actually is.

I have no problem either completing a purchase deal or abruptly [cordially] walking away. There's always another vehicle such as I seek around the corner - at a price that pleases me. I'm similar when I sell a vehicle. If the deal is becoming too laborious I cordially let purchaser know that I will no longer be entertaining their offers.

Happy Buy/Sell Daze! - Art :speed boat: :thumb:

Last edited:
Good looking boat on the outside. Considering its age, I suspect the inside will need some sprucing up.

I agree, needs some engine room pics and interior pics of the saloon etc.

Good think I am old and own a boat. I would look into this boat seriously.

Was it owned by a basketball player? Looks like headroom would be in the 7' range!

Seems pricey to me for the age, but hard to tell with limited pics.

Greetings,
Mr. HT. Thanks for the head's up on that one. Very clean, indeed! I wonder what the hull looks like behind all that paneling????? Hmmm..

iu

Greetings,
Mr. HT. Thanks for the head's up on that one. Very clean, indeed! I wonder what the hull looks like behind all that paneling????? Hmmm..

iu
If it's been a fresh water boat it's entire life I'd expect to find nothing wrong behind the paneling.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom