Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting yes, but you still need to sit outside to steer. Kind of reduces the usefulness of a pilot house?

I could rig remote steering to it and add a rear bimini and enclosure.

ben2go, perhaps a 12vt chest fridge on the aft deck? Where to put the galley and the head bucket? Cockpit shower?

Yeah chest fridge would work. I'd cook out on a cockpit table with a portable propane camp stove. A small portapotti would go inside and be pulled out when needed.

Not super lux but workable for a guy like me that is used to living in small places. Like out of the back of an '89 Mazda P/U or '85 Ranger P/U. I didn't have much money as a youngster. I made the most of it and traveled several months of the year after working half the year for money to travel on.

Re: Linssen yachts 500 Variotop

My wife and I look at trawlers for full time living in the future and hope to be able to do so soon. We'll never be able to afford a Fleming but appreciate quality even in lesser boats. We just looked at the Linssen 500 VarioTop for the first time and we both raised our eyebrows and said hmmm at the same time.

We're looking at it again as a permanent two bedroom home.

Last edited:
Jay Benford is the naval architect who designed the Florida Bay Coasters including the one mentioned here, as well as the former Teddi Bear that was shown above too, and many others that "appear" "top heavy."

"As the designer, I find it interesting
that they would happily cross an ocean aboard a cruise
ship (see top left photo) that has about the same stability
as our design..."

The gist is, stability is more complicated than height above the waterline, and these feature a wider waterline beam for a high measure of transverse stability.

Agreed, and this rebuts guys who mocked boats Ive mentioned.

A cruise ship has lots and lots of ballast tanks that can, with proper planning and skill, can be flooded to ballast down.

2019? Sure didn't take long to tire of that toy!
In a way, that's easily explained. Where's the fun in owning a boat so big you are really just another guest when on her because she takes so many non-family crew to run her..? Ok, a guest with clout, and the final say as to where you head for, but a guest never-the-less.

The folk who own these things do it for show, a status symbol, (mine is bigger than yours, so my wealth must be more than yours - a bit like CEO salaries, in fact), and also they can be a useful tax break, because they can claim they conduct so much business 'aboard'. But after a while, even with that, they get 'bored'...'scuse the pun...so they spend far more time moored than used. But I guess, even though it'd a 'hard' life, somebody's got to do it, and they do provide employment for a lot of people in various ways.
:)

My wife and I look at trawlers for full time living in the future and hope to be able to do so soon. We'll never be able to afford a Fleming but appreciate quality even in lesser boats. We just looked at the Linssen 500 VarioTop for the first time and we both raised our eyebrows and said hmmm at the same time.

Ya, dat looks like one very interesting boat, for sure..! :thumb:

https://www.linssenyachts.com/en/ne... Basic Specification ,RCD ... 7 more rows

In a way, that's easily explained. Where's the fun in owning a boat so big you are really just another guest when on her because she takes so many non-family crew to run her..? Ok, a guest with clout, and the final say as to where you head for, but a guest never-the-less.

I suggest he would be even more comfortable on a boat 80 feet long. Yes, it would take a crew, but fewer crew and he might take time to meet and talk with them. He cant entertain many people, big deal. His 'sleep overs' will be smaller too. Issue them all sleeping bags.

I suspect it was a corp. boat and the corp paid all the bills. The board of directors approved buying the boat and the board decided to sell the boat.
I doubt if they were getting much serious use out of it. I am also sure, their professional bean counters have figured out a way to write most of it off. (non-productive asset)

I suggest he would be even more comfortable on a boat 80 feet long. Yes, it would take a crew, but fewer crew and he might take time to meet and talk with them. He cant entertain many people, big deal. His 'sleep overs' will be smaller too. Issue them all sleeping bags.

I suspect it was a corp. boat and the corp paid all the bills. The board of directors approved buying the boat and the board decided to sell the boat.
I doubt if they were getting much serious use out of it. I am also sure, their professional bean counters have figured out a way to write most of it off. (non-productive asset)
Packer owned a smaller boat, sold it to buy this larger one. He gave the "Arctic P", his late father`s boat he inherited,to his sister. It`s very unlikely the decision to sell was anyone`s but his. The boat appears well used, a travelling home for Packer, visiting associates and friends. None of whom would be familiar with a sleeping bag.

BIG Boat Story:

Early 1970's gal I was dating's dad was 1st mate on 129' luxury ocean cruiser owned by Ryder Truck Rentals. We had the tour. A truly spacious yacht. Some 6 to 7 crew with a couple chefs. Gold plated items in special areas... including a gold plated utensil set for those "special" visiting clients. Normal folks used silver plated utensils. Boat was spotless and had an early style "navigation computer" room.

Anyway... long and short of things: The crew seldom had Mr. Ryder aboard for more than a day or two; usually while the boat was in different ports around the world. That super boat was strictly used for entertaining special clients to close special deals. Most recent deal closed had been with Goodyear tires for over $100M. Crew had a great time simply keeping the boat pristine and cruising to wherever they were called... in different nations.

I'm confident that boat was a 100% write-off!

We too have a "lesser boat", but I can stand up full height in my engine room! Can't say that for a Fleming!:whistling:

Spirit yachts are easy to sail, very fast and weatherly. Beautiful boats to sail as well as look at.

The folk who own these things do it for show, a status symbol, (mine is bigger than yours, so my wealth must be more than yours - a bit like CEO salaries, in fact), and also they can be a useful tax break, because they can claim they conduct so much business 'aboard'. But after a while, even with that, they get 'bored'...'scuse the pun...so they spend far more time moored than used. But I guess, even though it'd a 'hard' life, somebody's got to do it, and they do provide employment for a lot of people in various ways.

I doubt I will ever own a boat that requires a crew to operate. Que lastima. I must say I would relish the opportunity. With all due respect, surmising/negating the motivation of those who can comes off a bit of "sour grapes". Suggest you leave it alone, mate but please do not hesitate to report back when you have had the opportunity I relish.

Except that the sort of people who tend to own large crewed yachts come from a background where there were lots of people (i.e. paid employees) around all the time to do the mundane day-to-day stuff that we of the great unwashed must do ourselves (e.g. gardener(s), pool boys, housekeepers, personal chefs, dog walkers, nannies, the list goes on). They would be quite put out if they actually had to do things for themselves.

Politics aside, it's said that it was quite an adjustment for the Obama family to move into the White House were they suddenly had a large staff to do the day to day things they used to have to do themselves.

If the boat is too large , instead if Master & Mate , you become cleaning crew.

Scrub a dub , instead of chips & dips and a beverage in the cockpit.

I still contend that if owning a large boat (say over 50ft) then it’s best if you’re a full time live aboard. Then daily cleaning and maintenance becomes lots of small, short time, activities. Versus if you’re big girl sits at a marina and you show up after three weeks then have to wash off spiderwebs, dead bugs, soot, etc.

This advice for us mere mortals who don’t have elevated wealth or for those watching a tight budget.

I've seen too many cruise ships on their sides, some sinking, and I don't get on them. They do look top heavy to me. It seems that if something goes wrong with stability it won't get better.

As usual, the answer is that it depends. There are many variables involved. That's why it was BS when so many said in a recent thread on wide beam fishing boats, that they would be unstable.

There was a good thread going a couple of weeks ago on wide beam boats. But unfortunately some bad bickering resulted in the entire thread being deleted. I editing, just deletion. A shame

Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
" Where's the fun in owning a boat so big you are really just another guest when on her because she takes so many non-family crew to run her..? Ok, a guest with clout, and the final say as to where you head for, but a guest never-the-less." Peter, here is just one common answer......the fun of having a crew do all the work, is that you can then come concentrate on things they prefer, like the bikini girls they brought on board as guests. But sure, some rich guys might like hanging out with their servants.

Last edited:
As usual, the answer is that it depends. There are many variables involved. That's why it was BS when so many said in a recent thread on wide beam fishing boats, that they would be unstable.

I was just reviewing the design proposal a naval architect had sent me for a commercial fish design repurposed as a recreational cruiser.

46ft length x 20ft beam.

It’s AVS is 72 degrees, which isn’t so bad and he said could be modified to my desired 90 degrees. I think I’d be more concerned about roll acceleration and period.

There was a good thread going a couple of weeks ago on wide beam boats. But unfortunately some bad bickering resulted in the entire thread being deleted. I editing, just deletion. A shame

Exactly, and it reminded me of those guys in threads on cement and steel hulls, who try to criticize them with comments like, "cement doesnt float....steel doesnt float", etc.

I was just reviewing the design proposal a naval architect had sent me for a commercial fish design repurposed as a recreational cruiser.

46ft length x 20ft beam.

It’s AVS is 72 degrees, which isn’t so bad and he said could be modified to my desired 90 degrees. I think I’d be more concerned about roll acceleration and period.

Exactly, and thanks for corroborating my controversial position on repurposing. Imagine the criticism Capt. Cook would have got here when he repurposed coastal coal ships for his circumnavigations!

Speaking of beam, here's a boat that caught my eye in Wrangle. I had a good conversation with a crew member on boat who said it had been widened and lengthened. Looks stable if anything. Loved seeing all the working boats during out voyage.

Attachments

• DSC_0232.jpg
    DSC_0232.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC_0321.jpg
    DSC_0321.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC_0235.jpg
    DSC_0235.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 36
I'm confused. You are the one who said (paraphrase) "It looks top heavy, I wouldn't trust it" when Red Head was mentioned for sale.

There was a GZ curve showing a positive righting arm from 0 to 180 degrees for a Benford Florida Bay Coaster in the attachment which you said you couldn't open, so I posted it, which seemed to confuse Art.

So I am unclear of your position with wide flat bottomed boats.

Sorry I missed the other thread. Sounded somewhat interesting (but probably really just frustrating).

Big girl parked near us at the moment
AH Dauntless
Built in a strawberry farm in Redland Bay, the wife did most of the welding so the story goes..
Impressive beasty

A guest appearance in the background of this vid

Attachments

• Annotation 2021-09-20 095640.jpg
    Annotation 2021-09-20 095640.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Annotation 2021-09-20 095736.jpg
    Annotation 2021-09-20 095736.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
AH Dauntless
Built in a strawberry farm in Redland Bay, the wife did most of the welding so the story goes..
Impressive beasty

Good Looken Tuffy! :thumb:

AH Dauntless
Impressive beasty

Wow - what is the length & what engine?

Massive ducted prop is interesting. Is that common on larger vessels like that?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom