Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hard to tell from the photo but one would hope the windows are thick and deeply bedded like those on Slowgoesit’s passagemaker.

I would say she has proved herself...

All it takes is the right wave and swoosh.... I am just more a fan of smaller port lights than windows. To each their own.

She may may circumnavigated but so have thousands of other boats. Because it did once does not mean she will again with another owner -- he may have chosen his weather windows very carefully.

She may may circumnavigated but so have thousands of other boats. Because it did once does not mean she will again with another owner -- he may have chosen his weather windows very carefully.

I doubt "thousands" of pleasure power boats have circumnavigated.

Wonderful use of "weather windows" though.....

I doubt "thousands" of pleasure power boats have circumnavigated.

Wonderful use of "weather windows" though.....

I too doubt that thousands of pleasure "power boats" have circumnavigated. However, thousands of pleasure boats have.

There were five circumnavigating power boats that went through the Suez the year we did, three Nordhavn and two converted trawlers, to my knowledge
It is however as you say, easy enough to circumnavigate in fairly benign weather the whole way. We never had a gale at sea during ours. Way more frisky weather crossing the Tasman or NZ to the islands on other trips.
Still this boat has done it, and more than likely could again, at a very attractive price point.

Anyone know the ol' 117' woodie - Deanna?? SF Bay Area. Photo in the SF Delta.

Photos come up straight when I click on em. Can't seem to get but about 30% of my photos to initially come out straight on my posts??!!

Deanna often pumps out a lot of water... water stream is on port side in the 1st photo - i.e., of her rear.

Attachments

• IMG_4531.jpg
    IMG_4531.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_4543.jpg
    IMG_4543.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
This ol' baby would have been a cool conversion. Believe she's past her prime now.

Attachments

• IMG_4546.jpg
    IMG_4546.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_4544.jpg
    IMG_4544.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 44

HT - Thanks for Wiki background on Fir. I could tell my looking at her today that she has soul!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USCGC_Fir_(WLM-212) Then on page top punch up: USCGC Fir (WLM-212)?

Last mention on Wiki page: "Fir was purchased by The Lighthouse Project LLC, a Virginia group dedicated to the restoration and repurposing of aids to navigation, in spring 2017. Restoration has commenced."

As 2017 is now 4 years back, where she rests is often used as a graveyard and not conducive to ship refurbishment/rebuilding... as well as general dishevelment of her exterior-hull and topsides... I'd say she's approaching the end of the line for boat-life. :popcorn: :nonono:

Last edited:
All it takes is the right wave and swoosh.... I am just more a fan of smaller port lights than windows. To each their own.

Of course he chose his wx carefully....What mariner doesn't?...Its part of voyage planning.

"all it takes is the right wave and swoosh".....Boat with large windows or small portholes irrelevant....

Last edited:
Of course he chose his wx carefully....What mariner doesn't?...Its part of voyage planning.

"all it takes is the right wave and swoosh".....Boat with large windows or small portholes irrelevant....

She was built and used before the time of GPS and the internet. No GRIP files...or satellite. Weather does change between forecasts... Gales do come up unexpectedly. Today voyage planning is much different than it was in the 70's, 80's, 90's and even early 2000's.

When she was built she navigated by sextant, compass, and paper chart. Weather was probably relayed to her by ssb radio.

You are absolutely beyond any doubt correct choosing wx windows is part of voyage planning, but at one time, especially when this boat was built, planning for wx was a bit different.

True, True!!

However... If big waves are happening... small, super sturdy portholes are my choice for a potential of life saving boat design.

She was built and used before the time of GPS and the internet. No GRIP files...or satellite. Weather does change between forecasts... Gales do come up unexpectedly. Today voyage planning is much different than it was in the 70's, 80's, 90's and even early 2000's.

When she was built she navigated by sextant, compass, and paper chart. Weather was probably relayed to her by ssb radio.

You are absolutely beyond any doubt correct choosing wx windows is part of voyage planning, but at one time, especially when this boat was built, planning for wx was a bit different.

Exactly!

She is a doll! Thanks for the link.

First I've ever noticed a boat made exclusively from Corten steel. If you have the bucks to purchase and enjoy for years to come I'd say she's priced right and refinished/restored correctly. Her basic design and interior layout both seem to engage "yacht" simplicity at its finest.

I looked at all photos and read all text. Surprised of the rust mentioned on the steel. My inclination [resulting from steel workers input... having had Corten steel fabrications built for my construction company's projects] was that Corten formed an anti corrosive lawyer which did not enable rust to form beyond that layer. Perhaps that layer on Corten steel is not completely impervious to the corrosive actions that seawater applies.

I agree...Much more info readily available now....And she didn't have all this,yet survived with her windows...

We went and looked at it in late June. It still needs to come down in price. We told the dealer to let us know when it drops substantially more.
It's been on the market for a few years now. Being a woodie negates the most (IMO)
compelling feature of DDs: their indestructible steel hulls.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom