Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cool. Can I fit all those batteries into the bilge of a 40ft trawler and how do you recharge 6 mega zillion watts of batteries? :)

Raft up against the tug and use booster cables?

Nice, the Limit Stalker has been for sale for a while now, video shows her better. I don't know about anything else, but (other than potential inspection and repair costs) I'd love to have that crane!

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1965/custom-steel-yacht-trawler-llc-3675658/

It's also yet another example of poor QC on Yachtworld, was she built in 1965 or 1985?

Also, those larger rectangular windows on the main deck salon, replaced original portholes. I wonder if they were bedded and of enough thickness for blue/green water conditions.

The royal passagemaker 46 would serve me fine. Don’t see any for sale. Rare enough I would think resale would be similar to a one off so new build means a big loss at swallow the anchor time.

Thanks Dan. Considered this boat. Mostly sail as mom and pop but occasionally as two couples. Design works poorly for that. Prefer the engine room on later nordies. Do want fins. Having fish is great for open water but do spend time in skinnier waters as well. Mechanics of purchase difficulty given where she is. In the past found boats like to be used. Wary due to minimal recent use. Bought a pacific Seacraft whose galley was never used. Stored inside after being shipped and left in heated storage for years. Made money when I sold her but even with virtually no hours spent money and sweat getting her right. Did run this one by the admiral. She said no.

thanks dan. Considered this boat. Mostly sail as mom and pop but occasionally as two couples. Design works poorly for that. Prefer the engine room on later nordies. Do want fins. Having fish is great for open water but do spend time in skinnier waters as well. Mechanics of purchase difficulty given where she is. In the past found boats like to be used. Wary due to minimal recent use. Bought a pacific seacraft whose galley was never used. Stored inside after being shipped and left in heated storage for years. Made money when i sold her but even with virtually no hours spent money and sweat getting her right. Did run this one by the admiral. She said no.

why??

Saving pearling lugger" Anniki"

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07...lugger-ship-anniki-restoration-plan/100308502

9af01fa37873bcd655c5c6c21d100329

Thanks George. I hope TFers take the trouble to read the article, a fascinating insight into the northern Australian pearling industry, the traditional pearling lugger, the diverse nationalities involved, the boat itself, it`s origins, it`s movie appearance, and involvement carrying the Olympic Games torch. Timely, as Brisbane has just been appointed to hold the 2032 Games.

I've mentioned before a desire to have an all-electric boat. I have dreams of something as capable and beautifully designed as the Greenline 45, but don't have the budget for such a thing. There was previously a discussion here (somewhere, from last year) about converting an existing boat to electric. It wasn't my thread, but I chimed in a few times with ideas.

At any rate, now that we're in Oak Harbor, and I look at the bay every morning, I'm even more determined to get to sea. Chances are good that we'll sell the motorhome this fall and use the money for a down payment on a boat, but that's another story.

About the convert-an-existing-boat-to-electric idea. I've been looking for single-screw inboard engine boats in the sub-20 foot range; something I could work on in the garage. All I find are things like Century Resorters and old Criscrafts, mostly in the $20-30K range, which is more than I want to pay for a hull donor. I decided to undo the distance limit on my search, and came up with this thing in Italy:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1995/custom-zaccagnino-anaconda-3595291/

It's kind of freakishly adorable, the smallest trawler I've ever seen. I'll say the thought crossed my mind that it would be cheaper to buy this and have it packed in a shipping container and shipped all the way over here than it would be to buy some collector's item like a Resorter. I doubt I'd do such a thing, but there is a certain temptation here.

Might be cheap, but certainly not the boat for the PNW in my opinion. In Oak Harbor you are looking at a lot of wind and rain much of the year.

I wonder if you could find something like an old Nordic Tug 26 that needs a new engine….

Mechanics of purchase difficulty given where she is.

I went through this also and it's frustrating. I offered on a boat for a couple of years that was in Singapore. I was living in the Middle East and the purchase would have made sense for me. He slowly kept lowering his price and by the time he accepted my offer I was living in America, then Covid hit. No-go and I'm not ready to retire yet.

However, upon retirement I would go anywhere in the world to buy or build. It's all part of the adventure.

Might be cheap, but certainly not the boat for the PNW in my opinion. In Oak Harbor you are looking at a lot of wind and rain much of the year.

That’s why I’ve been looking for something small. In addition to wanting it garage-sized to work on, I’d like the resulting boat to be trailerable. I might yet pursue something vintage, do a nice dress-up job on it after conversion, and sell it to someone with more money than sense (sometimes I think I don’t have either). It would make a nice lake boat, maybe for Samamish or another calm lake where rich people live.

My goal is to learn about electric propulsion systems on a small scale.

Oh, Duffy Boats are cute. We thought about buying one. Doesn’t meet my goal, however.

Certainly. There are a lot of pod drives out there for small boats (and even large boats and ships), but I’m concerned about having that much “stuff” hanging down from the bottom of the boat with no protection. Bang up against one deadhead and you’re in trouble. A single-screw inboard has a keel that protects the prop to a certain extent (is that the skeg?), and if you do smash into something “all” you’ve lost is your prop, not the entire motor. I think a lot about redundancy. Sure, two screws would make for redundancy, but that’s more than I want to tackle straight out.

I get it. My skeg saved me when I bumped over top of a submerged rock when not paying attention. No damage to prop or skeg detected when I hauled out the end of the season. (technically you could argue if it is truly a "skeg" but this is what's on my boat.)

Attachments

• skeg.jpg
    skeg.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Nice. BTW, I’m very drawn to your boat, at least from your profile pic. What’s the interior layout like? I tried to look up the model number once, but came up short.

Wow, as I imagined that’s nearly a perfect boat for the way my wife and I imagine ourselves traveling. Unfortunately, at least for now, it’s WAY outside of my price range.

It's a good boat for a couple. Any smaller would be too small. We just completed a 10 day vacation on it. It's our first power boat after sailing, thanks for the compliment.

I think the mid to upper 30ft trawler type boat would be rather perfect for a couple.
Any longer, you might be tempted to invite another couple for a lengthy cruise.

I think the mid to upper 30ft trawler type boat would be rather perfect for a couple.
Any longer, you might be tempted to invite another couple for a lengthy cruise.

Thanks, thats the point about my boat. It suits a couple well enough but would be too small for 2 couples for any length of time.

Greetings,
Not ONE picture of the mechanical spaces on that Halverson 60. I'm reserving judgement until I see the "guts".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom