Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looked at photos; didn't read text. Roomy adventure craft. Seems sturdy crew of a few or more needed. Wow... could get lost in her ER. Don't understand anchor against hull [this photo] - yet what appears chain nearly straight down and taught with no slack??

Exactly what my chain looks like in a calm anchorage. Chain will always hang perfectly vertically when there are no forces pushing on your boat.

What makes one think it requires a sturdy crew of a few steady souls or more? One to pilot, one to toss lines or shoot and retrieve anchor. And that second one optional if winds and current calm. Engine and other mechanicals are unremarkably ubiquitous.

Unless you’re counting the fishing guides :thumb:

Last edited:
What makes one think it requires a sturdy crew of a few steady souls or more? One to pilot, one to toss lines or shoot and retrieve anchor. And that second one optional if winds and current calm. Engine and other mechanicals are unremarkably ubiquitous.
:

I agree, two person boat at most

As for working on the mechanicals, gotta love that pogo stick headroom in the ER :thumb:

32_4.jpg

Looks more like a secondary school boiler room than a yacht’s engine room. Expect to see the school custodian smoking in the corner and a large rubbish can on wheels next to the door. :rofl:

WW2 Air Sea Rescue Boat

This could interest our USA friends. It would be interesting to know how it came to Australia. As a kid I spent time at Jervis Bay NSW where there was a Naval College, and there were Air Sea Rescue boats kept there, massive things rarely used except for training purposes, though there was a Navy air base nearby, so they may have had some practical use.
https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sale/used/power-boats/ww2-air-sea-rescue-boat/263828
2_2.jpg
3_4.jpg

Last edited:
This could interest our USA friends. It would be interesting to know how it came to Australia. As a kid I spent time at Jervis Bay NSW where there was a Naval College, and there were Air Sea Rescue boats kept there, massive things rarely used except for training purposes, though there was a Navy air base nearby, so they may have had some practical use.
https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sale/used/power-boats/ww2-air-sea-rescue-boat/263828
2_2.jpg
3_4.jpg

"..... it is in great shape for a boat 77 years old...."

Sounds like something my doctor recently said about me.... 'All your parts are all 78 years old.' :D :angel:

2_2.jpg
3_4.jpg

Photos are great - Stats impressive! 3"' draft / 33 knots at WOT = Gas Sucker Fast!!

Last edited:
As for working on the mechanicals, gotta love that pogo stick headroom in the ER :thumb:

32_4.jpg

Optical illusion. That guy is like 4ft tall :)

Interesting how the split aircon condenser is in the engine room. I can see that working especially with forced ventilation. My aircons worked in the Middle East and we measured 160 degrees F in the sun and 130F in the shade.

Just needs a pipe railing around the engine for safety
The engine is dwarfed in the large engine room.

Has this been posted? I like it.
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1966/custom-blount-marine-research-vessel-3566009/

It seems overpriced like everything these days, especially with no bow thruster, stabilizers, or get-home system listed. And the windlass setup is... weird.

I love the layout for our purposes though. Single reliable naturally aspirated DD, big open living area and lots of small berths tucked below, and a workshop with a welder and grinder.

54 year old steel commercial (amateur) conversion. Wait till the market normalizes and then offer $35k then it might be worth it. Might. Sometimes a boat isn't even worth it for free. Just before Covid I almost bought a 70ft fiberglass trawler for about that price, and am so glad I didn't. Wow what a potential nightmare.

54 year old steel commercial (amateur) conversion. Wait till the market normalizes and then offer $35k then it might be worth it. Might. Sometimes a boat isn't even worth it for free. Just before Covid I almost bought a 70ft fiberglass trawler for about that price, and am so glad I didn't. Wow what a potential nightmare.

That seems a bit extreme - I agree it's overpriced by a lot, but if the hull and mechanicals are solid it could be a good platform, and I personally like the conversion they did (from the pics). Any boat can be a potential nightmare - are you seeing something in the listing that I missed?

Baudouin was the choice for fishing boat, small commercial during decade in France.
When I was young sailor I learn on this type of engine

Now bought by...Chinese :-(

This boat was for sale long time ago, at this moment she was white with a curious platform added aft.
But the asking price was $$$$

The US Navy contracted to have one built so near coastal use. Soon after testing, they mothballed it. Why I dont know.

Had opportunity to see the 64 while in BVIs. Steve really knew his stuff. Prefer the FPBs to the descendants (Artnautica, Arksen etc). Amazing boats.

Last edited:
2_2.jpg
]

Used to one that the RAAF used as a crash boat running out of Townsville back in the 70's

Back
Top Bottom