Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting. I've never seen one with a shortened rig like that. Normally they look like this...

I hadn't either so went and looked them up. There were varying rig sizes but none under 300 sq ft from what I could tell.

Says they have 8,000# of ballast. With that and no (or minimal) rig, I wonder if it would be rolly like a dis-masted sailboat?

https://banjer37msclub.tripod.com/techs.htm

The site did mention a "never built" Banjer motorboat, but there were specific drawings (as if it were not the same boat, although I did not analyze them).

Attachments

• banjer.png
    banjer.png
    67.3 KB · Views: 51
I hadn't either so went and looked them up. There were varying rig sizes but none under 300 sq ft from what I could tell.

Says they have 8,000# of ballast. With that and no (or minimal) rig, I wonder if it would be rolly like a dis-masted sailboat?

https://banjer37msclub.tripod.com/techs.htm

The site did mention a "never built" Banjer motorboat, but there were specific drawings (as if it were not the same boat, although I did not analyze them).

She was fully rigged at one time. You can see the jib sheet winches, chainplates, and the cut out in the pilothouse roof where the mizzen mast was. I bet she may be uncomfortable.

Interesting to see how many times Wanderer has been sold on both the East Coast and West Coast on the Banjer site you posted. She's for sale again here: https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1970/banjer-37-pilothouse-motor-sailer-ketch-3815310/

10K higher than shes has sold for in the last 20 years...

A couple of interesting boats in our marina today.

Attachments

• IMG_2369.jpg
    IMG_2369.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2372.jpg
    IMG_2372.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 63
A couple of interesting boats in our marina today.

That first boat looks like a gondola used around France and Italy. The second one looks like a Penn Yan kit boat.

The second boat is a Riva Junior.

Penn Yan's were generally lapstrake. I don't think they ever sold a "kit boat".

Last edited:
I agree w NS.
But the open “speed boat” is interesting .. at least now. If this were the 50’s it would just be another boat.

I agree w NS.
But the open “speed boat” is interesting .. at least now. If this were the 50’s it would just be another boat.

Oh come on now. Riva's are and never were just another boat. The turquoise leather is the dead giveaway. Check out that handrail!

They are the Ferrari's of the motorboat world. Handcrafted production expensive boats that appreciate in price.

The Junior is the equivalent to the Ferrari Dino or maybe a Mondial. An "entry level" Riva.

Last edited:
https://thainelectric.com/

A local company is making a very sexy electric playboy boat. Would be perfect for Lake Washington. Seen one yesterday in Everett Marina while I was varnishing, caught my eye and had to look it up to see what it was.

I like it.

Attachments

• 16E-11.jpg
    16E-11.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
https://thainelectric.com/

A local company is making a very sexy electric playboy boat. Would be perfect for Lake Washington. Seen one yesterday in Everett Marina while I was varnishing, caught my eye and had to look it up to see what it was.

I like it.[/QUOTE

My older brother had a boat that was all mahogany and each winter he would send it back to the builder for refinishing.

Went and saw the durbeck with an eye for a second refit and use. It started life as a research vessel then underwent a refit. Exceptional strong construction but sadly conversion was poorly done and not functional. Much of the “improvements” done with ply not glass so would have to be entirely removed and redone completely. Galley not functional either. Such a shame as the bones are incredibly strong and solid. Fittings true bronze so eternal. So still waiting on a good seaboat. Only two on the market. One in the PNW and one on west coast of Mexico. So frustrating.

Went and saw the durbeck with an eye for a second refit and use. It started life as a research vessel then underwent a refit. Exceptional strong construction but sadly conversion was poorly done and not functional. Much of the “improvements” done with ply not glass so would have to be entirely removed and redone completely. Galley not functional either. Such a shame as the bones are incredibly strong and solid. Fittings true bronze so eternal. So still waiting on a good seaboat. Only two on the market. One in the PNW and one on west coast of Mexico. So frustrating.

Hippo - Please list your 7 to 10 most sought after [i.e. important to you] boat increments of which you search. - Thanks, Art

I think all boats undergo continuous 'refit.'
Now if you put the boat on the hard so you can do some serious/big time/extensive work, it may be considered a refit. SMILE

Hmmm…it strikes me that there are a number of good sea boats for sale at the moment, but one would either need to accept steel, or a length over 65 feet, or both.

Hippo - Please list your 7 to 10 most sought after [i.e. important to you] boat increments of which you search. - Thanks, Art

Yes, as you are someone who has obviously been there done that albeit by sail I would love to read your must haves and want to haves, to compare.

Hmmm…it strikes me that there are a number of good sea boats for sale at the moment, but one would either need to accept steel, or a length over 65 feet, or both.

Steel, easier to patch. Once sand blasted inside and out, preparing the metal for the appropriate paint and painted, I suspect that job will outlive you.

There used to be a premium price for a steel boat. Don't know what it is now.

Steel, easier to patch. Once sand blasted inside and out, preparing the metal for the appropriate paint and painted, I suspect that job will outlive you.

There used to be a premium price for a steel boat. Don't know what it is now.

The market has flipped. Steel boats of similar capabilities to ones made of glass languish on the North American market. There’s bargains to be had.

I imagine for many the higher weight of steel and thus deeper average drafts could be an issue for some depending on where they want to operate. It’s a relative concern for me.

I imagine for many the higher weight of steel and thus deeper average drafts could be an issue for some depending on where they want to operate. It’s a relative concern for me.

Are steel boats actually/generally heavier per sq. ft. of water contact on bottom area than fiberglass? Do steel boats average deeper draft due to extra weight alone. Or... is their generally deeper draft because steel boats are usually full displacement with deep rudder and skeg?

I really never thought about that weight/draft factor before. Always kinda figured when buildouts were said and done [regarding steel or fiberglass boats, each with good construction procedures performed] that weight was similar???

Are steel boats actually/generally heavier per sq. ft. of water contact on bottom area than fiberglass? Do steel boats average deeper draft due to extra weight alone. Or... is their generally deeper draft because steel boats are usually full displacement with deep rudder and skeg?

I really never thought about that weight/draft factor before. Always kinda figured when buildouts were said and done [regarding steel or fiberglass boats, each with good construction procedures performed] that weight was similar???

I am with Art on this. I own a 50-ish steel boat that weighs 55K and I own a 50-ish steel boat that weighs 135K. I think the reason the heavier boat is heavier is because the designer wanted it to be heavier. As in....SEABOAT.
I am not sure what words define sea boat but I think you know one when you experience it. I was reminded of this yesterday as we were cruising the one pictured below. Sea boat. For sure.

Attachments

• Libra Antwerp 1.jpg
    Libra Antwerp 1.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 58
AF, you are correct. I did a search for steel boats on North America. Found a few.... some are reasonably priced too. Alas, they are all too big for me.
Lucky me. LOL

I am with Art on this. I own a 50-ish steel boat that weighs 55K and I own a 50-ish steel boat that weighs 135K. I think the reason the heavier boat is heavier is because the designer wanted it to be heavier. As in....SEABOAT.

I am not sure what words define sea boat but I think you know one when you experience it. I was reminded of this yesterday as we were cruising the one pictured below. Sea boat. For sure.
How do you know how much it weighs?
I wish I knew how much mine weighs.

L

How do you know how much it weighs?
I wish I knew how much mine weighs.

L

Usually travel lifts have scales on them. That's the only reason I know mine's about 30k lbs with a load on.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom