Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sun shields - Period!

Attachments

• Copy of Large TO Pict - 100_1412.jpg
    Copy of Large TO Pict - 100_1412.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 57
If you want to start a multi-million dollar business, open up a canvas shop for boats in WI. Gotta keep out of the wind, cold, rain, mosquitos, etc.

Our dual-console has canvas on it, and the sales guy said something to the effect of "it's a pretty boat when you remove all that ugly camping canvas". And I agree with him 100%, but man.... when it's 45 deg, overcast, drizzly, and windy, there's nowhere on earth colder than the waters of Green Bay or Lake Michigan! :D

Except for on western Lake Superior ;)

We never removed our panels in the summer. We’d roll up the door, maybe.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1985/sparkman-stephens-54-trawler-3825848/

The Esprit was advertised here and elsewhere for sale in 2019, it now appears she is back on the market. I see that the mast has been removed in favor of a lower profile mount for the radar antenna. My guess is she made the loop, or was prepping for it? Or maybe the new owner wanted better visibility from the upper helm.

Still love her, even though below-decks she isn’t configured the way I would need her to be.
Esprit - I'm new on the forum and this boat really caught my eye. Since I"m a newbie here - would you comment on how it would be with the flybridge so far back? And also would the davit hoist the dingy from the side of the boat rather than aft? Thanks!

Nice boats.....
The older I get, the more I appreciate a less complicated boat.
My N46 took forever to learn each of the systems. Now the AT34 is just about right.

Esprit - I'm new on the forum and this boat really caught my eye. Since I"m a newbie here - would you comment on how it would be with the flybridge so far back?

That's an aft pilothouse model, and lets you have a lower air draft. If you stacked the flybridge over the helm station, you would be much higher. Moving it aft a bit, the floor of the flybridge is on the roof of the salon (saloon) and your overall height over the waterline is lower.

Nice boats.....
The older I get, the more I appreciate a less complicated boat.
My N46 took forever to learn each of the systems. Now the AT34 is just about right.

Boy - > Say Howdy!! Yester year, old school: "Simple is as simple does" makes my/our world easily go round n' round!

1967 Buick Wildcat: Full Power Everything w/ AC... Luxury Muscle Car
1975 Tow behind 15' Crestliner four seater w/ 50 HP 1975 Johnson o/b
1977 34' Tollycraft tri cabin, twin screw w/flybridge
1985 Chevy 1 ton, 4 spd, 4 WD, HP pickup truck
1996 25' Tiffin Allegro Motor Home

Those are my/our old babies... All are in either cherry or near cherry condition. Little to NO computer chips! EZ to work on. None are planned for sale!!

Then we of course have some newer vehicles with chips... those we buy and sell as desired/necessary.

The Joy Lynn

I’m not sure how interesting this boat will be to all,but it was interesting enough for us to purchase. We’re renaming her Joy Lynn. I know she’s not a trawler but she’s a fine riverboat so hopefully you won’t kick us to the side.

We just got the survey done yesterday and it came out very good with only a couple minor issues. Built in 1970 by the previous owner. She’s been to New Orleans via downstream the Mississippi and back up the Tom Bigbee waterway the year it opened.

She has a 120 Ford Lehman diesel,cable steering with a huge quadrant and simple systems. Interior is walnut with mahogany beams above that span over the side decks. Cabin sides and roof are marine plywood fiberglass covered.

Attachments

• 6463B353-0872-48DC-B65A-7816414FD8D1.jpg
    6463B353-0872-48DC-B65A-7816414FD8D1.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 5EF097C4-B530-4CE3-BD7D-7FFAED8196A8.jpg
    5EF097C4-B530-4CE3-BD7D-7FFAED8196A8.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Marty - Good looking "house boat" you have there. Comfortable I'm sure! In SF Delta's 1,100 miles of freshwater rivers and sloughs [where we play]... there are a large number of similar craft. Enjoy yourselves. Oh and BTW - I'm right now sipping on "Community Coffee" Dark Roast that you turned me onto years ago. We've been drinking it since!! I never forget a favor... Thanks again!!

Marty - Good looking "house boat" you have there. Comfortable I'm sure! In SF Delta's 1,100 miles of freshwater rivers and sloughs [where we play]... there are a large number of similar craft. Enjoy yourselves. Oh and BTW - I'm right now sipping on "Community Coffee" Dark Roast that you turned me onto years ago. We've been drinking it since!! I never forget a favor... Thanks again!!
Thanks Art , we’re still drinking Community Coffee also. We switched to the cafe blend about a year ago.

Greetings,
Mr PM. C'mon brother. Stop teasing. Where's the "tour"? Joy Lynn (see below-sorry, it's the closest I could get) looks VERY livable. Horses for courses.

I am NOT a country fan BUT ya just GOTTA love Dolly.

There are now three converted ex-Royal Navy tenders, Clovelly class for sale out “there”, Fintry owned by our very own Circumnavigator (with which I’m smitten btw), two in the UK. Here’s the latest one listed, MV Cricklade, formerly A381 - I believe she has been used for excursions and dive charters. She’s much nicer on the inside than the outside first appears: https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1970/classic-converted-clovelly-class-3198546/

And a video of her and a partner locking through:

Attachments

• 11ACCCA8-3DC5-445D-BCA8-58CC4D95467A.jpg
    11ACCCA8-3DC5-445D-BCA8-58CC4D95467A.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Anyone know which, what cool boat this is? Look like it has it all!

Attachments

• ST000168.jpg
    ST000168.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 48
  • ST000169.jpg
    ST000169.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 51
I’m not sure how interesting this boat will be to all,but it was interesting enough for us to purchase. We’re renaming her Joy Lynn. I know she’s not a trawler but she’s a fine riverboat so hopefully you won’t kick us to the side.

WTG, Marty!! Looks like she's be great river fun for you and Joy. Send more pics and specs when you get 'em!

Are you keeping William, too?

Greetings,
Mr. AF. I was momentarily interested in a fleet tender before we bought our current boat. The Admiral nixed the idea pretty quickly (she was probably right). She didn't like US army T-boats either. Go figure????

I think at the time (about 15+years ago) they were selling, NO conversion done, for about $100K. I had a very pleasant talk with the then owner of Fintry. They were just finishing up her conversion and getting ready to bring her home from the UK.

Greetings,
Mr. AF. I was momentarily interested in a fleet tender before we bought our current boat. The Admiral nixed the idea pretty quickly (she was probably right). She didn't like US army T-boats either. Go figure????

I think at the time (about 15+years ago) they were selling, NO conversion done, for about $100K. I had a very pleasant talk with the then owner of Fintry. They were just finishing up her conversion and getting ready to bring her home from the UK.

Yes, this, third one, is for much less, $182K USD with less updating and interior finishing. https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1970/ex-royal-navy-fleet-tender-2931159/

What turned off the admiral? The size? The work to be done? The aesthetics?

BTW, as I understand it, Fintry still owned by same couple, for now :)

Yes, this, third one, is for much less, $182K USD with less updating and interior finishing. https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1970/ex-royal-navy-fleet-tender-2931159/

What turned off the admiral? The size? The work to be done? The aesthetics?

BTW, as I understand it, Fintry still owned by same couple, for now :)

Hmmmm engine order telegraph? Someone must be stationed in the ER at all times.

I dont see it as a couple's boat. Maybe 2 owners and a crew of 3 or 4.

Nice looking boat but, too big for me (at my age) and it would necessitate hiring a knowledgeable crew. Including someone to chip and paint.
I wish the new owners many happy hours at sea.

Last edited:
I suspect - subject to correction by someone who knows more than me - that the engine order telegraph was probably a military-driven redundancy spec on the Lister Blackstone powerplant, but clutch and throttle could always be controlled from the pilothouse. After all, these were manufactured in the 1970's. Conversions have cleverly used the telegraph system as the push/pull control for cable engine clutch and throttle, using a Kobelt mechanical wonder-widget installed in the engine room.

Last edited:
Looked quiet around here, and I ran into a few pics. 58' William Garden, built 1952 to cross oceans. Trimed with 3k fuel and 800 gallons water in these shots. Heavy Timber boat, steam bent 3x3 oak frames 12" centers with 2" thick VG fir Planking. Twin Luggers, slips though the water quieter than anything I've ever drove.
DSC_5738-1.jpg

IMG_0456.jpg

IMG_0631 2.jpg

high bulwarks, but freeboard from main deck to waterline appears to be very low for an explorer style vessel.

A lot if not most vessels in the Bering Sea Fleet have that same low deck look. This boat was built in 1966 and has fished every season/weather Alaska can dish out.

IMG_9377.jpg

IMG_9347.jpg

Back
Top Bottom