Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HOLLYWOOD,
AFTER 10 or 15 minutes aboard this boat plastic boats won't even exist for at least 10 minutes. And they may look substandard for a long time.

Eric - I doubt Hollywood is trying to decrease high-end comment on the obvious quality of that or some other of the well constructed and beautifully maintained wooden boats. I know that I am not. But, what I do mean in agreement with Hollywood's post is that for "pleasure" boating... the many levels of ongoing maintenance factors required on such a great wooden craft can simply remove the pleasure factor - unless of course money for outsourced maintenance is not an issue. - Art

Lazy Gal was docked across from us a couple of years ago. Absolutely pristine from every angle. Didn't get a chance to go aboard as they were dealing with mechanical issues but did chat briefly with the owner, who seemed very personable.

Attachments

• DSC_9943.jpg
    DSC_9943.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 330
Eric - I doubt Hollywood is trying to decrease high-end comment on the obvious quality of that or some other of the well constructed and beautifully maintained wooden boats. I know that I am not. But, what I do mean in agreement with Hollywood's post is that for "pleasure" boating... the many levels of ongoing maintenance factors required on such a great wooden craft can simply remove the pleasure factor - unless of course money for outsourced maintenance is not an issue. - Art

If I had a state of the art heated/cooled $ 500,000 boat house floating in fresh water AND a massive revenue stream to allow for the hiring of hippie wood boat masters that take too long to do the most simple of tasks AND I had another boat to use for heading South I would consider that boat.

That boat is stunning.. but I did my time and learned about wood boats when we had our GB36.

HOLLYWOOD

Reactions: Art

Art,
Do you think the many people that were pleasure boating in the 50's and before didn't get pleasure out of their boating experience? This anti-wood boat attitude is rediculous. I think people get on this bandwagon to make themselves look smart or wise. Too smart to get caught in that trap. This attitude is so well entrenched that the opposite may be true. With a few exceptions plastic boats are much less labor/maintanance intensive than wood boats but theu are very very far from useless.

I like it maybe because I'm old and I like traditonal boats . This one is for sure easy on the eyes . We looked at it last night on YW .

Do you think the many people that were pleasure boating in the 50's and before didn't get pleasure out of their boating experience?

I grew up on wooden boats until the early 70's. We had a ball. The sailing club were were a part of had been around for decades. Based on the pictures on the wall the gezers that came before us had a ball too.

OK, the people on steel boats had more fun, 'caus they could run in to things and not worry about it...... ;)

Lazy Gal was docked across from us a couple of years ago. Absolutely pristine from every angle. Didn't get a chance to go aboard as they were dealing with mechanical issues but did chat briefly with the owner, who seemed very personable.
Dave Nelson was a long time boat broker who retired from Wolfe Marine about 8 years ago to live in La Conner. He "sold" me Refugio, which I kept at their marina (Bruce managed it for Joe Diamond) for 5 years. Dave had several stunning wooden boats over the maybe 20 years I've known him, but this was the one he always lusted after and it finally came on the market in 2005. I was only on it once when we both happened to be at Deer Harbor in 2005 (where both QCYC and MBYC have outstations) and I got a shot of them leaving the next morning:
Dave.jpg

Last edited:
Art,
Do you think the many people that were pleasure boating in the 50's and before didn't get pleasure out of their boating experience? This anti-wood boat attitude is rediculous. I think people get on this bandwagon to make themselves look smart or wise. Too smart to get caught in that trap. This attitude is so well entrenched that the opposite may be true. With a few exceptions plastic boats are much less labor/maintanance intensive than wood boats but theu are very very far from useless.

Eric - You never hear me disparage a well built wood boat; I often compliment them... except that I may state not liking its style/design./accommodations I had a blast on woodies from birth to mid 20's. What I personally learned first-hand and know damn well from working on wood boats, from very late 1950's into the 70's - is that - - > A good wood boat is a real task to care for compared to a good fiberglass boat.

That's it pure and simple! Nothing more, nothing less!! :dance:

Get over yourself... railing against persons such as me that tell it like it is, due to experience; in comparing maintenance factors regarding wooden vs FRP boats.

Art,

Eric, last I checked you your self don't own a woodie?? why not?

If you care to go back and re read MY post I never had a "Anti-wood" attitude.. I just listed the things that would be necessary for me to have one like the beautiful example that was posted. I WAS a wood Gb36 owner.. and I've had 4 classic mahogany speed/racing boats in the past
( I will have another eventually in my retirement years so I can spend weeks applying successive coats of varnish and not give a crap).

I am far from a anti wood boat owner. But I cannot justify the time necessary to keep one in mint condition at this point of my life.. I spend all the time I can spare traveling to far away places on the trawlers that I love... and actually using the boats.
HOLLYWOOD

Reactions: Art
HOLLYWOOD,
My friend. I like reading your posts and I meant no offense .. well very little anyway. But needing a $500,000 boat house to keep a wood boat in to justify having one is IMO saying you wouldn't have one .. no way. But I'm not thinking low of you or any boat I've ever seen you with. Haha but at least your statement you see the value in a wood boat and that under certian circumstances you would have one. The guys i'm talk'in about would'nt do either.

And at the very least considering everybody the effort is made to talk about wood boats and there's no doubt they are greatly admired.

Haha you're right .. I own no wood boats. But I'm considering building one.

This nice but very old (1937) Chris Craft is now priced at $19K and could probably be had for less. Got twin Yanmars.

Attachments

• DSCF2018 copy.jpg
    DSCF2018 copy.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Eric,

This nice but very old (1937) Chris Craft is now priced at $19K and could probably be had for less. Got twin Yanmars.

Old ad? I haunt Wolfe Marine and that appears by the background, the location. No, I have to agree with those who have posted regarding making the switch from wood to plastic.
Dollar for dollar if the intent is to enjoy purchasing a finely maintained wood boat and run that maintenance out for a few years and then dump the boat is one thing. You can buy, like the boat here depicted, in fine shape for little money compared to a newer plastic boat with the same accommodations. or you can forgo that and purchase a plastic boat that while demanding a level of maintenance it is of a different quality and hopeful, less expense with a better selling market down the road. Yes, either and both modes of boats require attention. In my case, too much to do in a short season for this aging body.
Al-Ketchikan

Hi Al,
I don't know the CC's condition much more than you do. Walk by her when I go to Willy. The newer Yanmars is a very big plus IMO and not many old boats are twins either.
If she were a sedan like this boat (not for sale) I'd probably be interested myself. I'm leaning toward getting out of big boats altogether.

barnacles what old tub?
That's an awful thing to say about your boat.

Attachments

• DSCF1900 copy.jpg
    DSCF1900 copy.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
INTERESTING BOATS

These are all taken at the LaConner WA Classic Car and Boat Show.
Some I have posted before .. maybe only one.

Attachments

• DSCF0698 copy.jpg
    DSCF0698 copy.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 83
  • DSCF0705 copy 2.jpg
    DSCF0705 copy 2.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 81
  • DSCF0699 copy.jpg
    DSCF0699 copy.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCF0707 copy.jpg
    DSCF0707 copy.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCF2033.jpg
    DSCF2033.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCF2034.jpg
    DSCF2034.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCF2032.jpg
    DSCF2032.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCF0703 copy.jpg
    DSCF0703 copy.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCF0701 copy.jpg
    DSCF0701 copy.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 75
I absolutely love wooden boats. But after owning and maintaining this one for 23 years I had had enough. If either: a) I had enough money to pay a yard to maintain her or b) I had the energy that I had 30 years ago to maintain her myself, then I would still have her.

Attachments

• ResIpsa (2).jpg
    ResIpsa (2).jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 98
Holiday was in Woodenboat mag several years ago with an interesting article.

I think Skookum Maru was in the original VUP, if its the same vsl.

Daves boat is about as cool as it gets. I bet you loved pulling up to docks with that boat. There is an appreciation of wood boats in Maine and the PNW, that you don't find most places.
Don't hink the irony is lost on me about Johns Bay Boats, Peter Kass is about the last wood boatbuilder in Maine turning out commercial boats with yacht finishes. Mainiacs don't like to acknowledge that he is a Masshole.

Peter Kass is about the last wood boatbuilder in Maine turning out commercial boats with yacht finishes. Mainiacs don't like to acknowledge that he is a Masshole.

Mainers are tolerant. Sometimes they overlook serious birth defects.

Thanks for posting pics Eric and David .My hat's off to the guys that keep them up . We've been adding teak and mahogany to William for the last three years . That may be as close as I will ever get to owning a woodie . I still have some teak in the lumber pile and as much mahogany as I want at the lumber yard .:D:D

Craig,
I'm quite sure she's a CC by the shape of the ports and the caprail. But no .. I have no other pics of her. I love that kind of fly bridge. And this one has three big cabins.

Marty,
Since we're friends I wish you were closer w all that mahogany.

Craig,
I'm quite sure she's a CC by the shape of the ports and the caprail. But no .. I have no other pics of her. I love that kind of fly bridge. And this one has three big cabins.

Marty,
Since we're friends I wish you were closer w all that mahogany.
Eric the mahogany is not genuine , it's African .:eek: That's all we can get these days . Harder to work than genuine with some crazy grain . The heartwood is heavy and hard .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Old ad? I haunt Wolfe Marine and that appears by the background, the location.

Not Wolfe Marine - note the breakwater in the background. And the floating docks. And the seawater.

Edmonds?

Keith

Last edited:
You are correct it not being Wolfe.:thumb:
Al:facepalm:-Ketchikan

Craig,
Note the first picture. Your CC may be almost the last boat on the float. Definitely a bull nosed Chris. These are from a different year.

See the grey anchor in the last pic. This is the same as my Dreadnought .. except for the very nice paint. Wonder if he's ever used it?

Attachments

• DSCF1564 copy.jpg
    DSCF1564 copy.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 86
  • DSCF1565 copy.jpg
    DSCF1565 copy.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCF1577 copy 2.jpg
    DSCF1577 copy 2.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCF1567 copy 2.jpg
    DSCF1567 copy 2.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 94
  • DSCF1576 copy.jpg
    DSCF1576 copy.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 95
  • DSCF1575 copy.jpg
    DSCF1575 copy.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCF1573 copy.jpg
    DSCF1573 copy.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 83
  • DSCF1572 copy.jpg
    DSCF1572 copy.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
I love CC

Attachments

• Chris Craft (7).jpg
    Chris Craft (7).jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 75
  • Chris Craft (2).jpg
    Chris Craft (2).jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 80
  • Chris Craft (3).jpg
    Chris Craft (3).jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
You guys have got it going on out there . These boats are beautiful. It would not do me any good to visit the PNW with all the interesting boats to check out , I'm sure I would want to stay . There is not much here on our dock to look at anymore . Jimbob with his Eagle 32 has moved on further south . There is a 41 ft Defever, a 40 ft Ocean Alexander that needs a new owner ( it's looking rough ) . We have two steel sistership shanti house boats that were built by a couple brothers back in the 70's that are kinda cool . One is 50 ft with a Detroit and the other is a 40 ft with a Ford Leaman .The rest is just a bunch of ugly plastic houseboats and pontoons .
Every time something cool comes in for an overnight stay I'm like a kid at Christmas.

Romsdale

I always thought that Romsdales are the most elegant and beautiful live-aboard exploring vessels on the face of the Earth!
When I was looking for projects to build a boat, I tried to find DIY projects similar. I could never find them!
Later on, when Rainha Jannota was already framed, I found very interesting projects from Stephen R Seaton. He had interesting ideas similar to the Romsdale

Attachments

• 40 FOOTERS.jpg
    40 FOOTERS.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 135
  • 50 FOOTERS.jpg
    50 FOOTERS.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 111
  • scan0008.jpg
    scan0008.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

Latest posts