Old 07-03-2022, 11:55 PM   #11821

City: Tauranga
Vessel Name: Ahi
Vessel Model: Roger Hill Powercat
For those not so worried about fuel prices;
40gph at 25kn with twin 680hp Volvos on Hamilton Jets.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/b...4?bof=p58a4XKd

Click image for larger version

Name:	00 Senator (2).jpg
Views:	33
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	130121
darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 12:15 AM   #11822

City: Greenwell Point
Vessel Name: Suu Kyi
Vessel Model: Custom 40' catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside View Post
For those not so worried about fuel prices
There will be less and less of these as time passes, I am thinking. These figures make my 45 litres/hour at 10kn for both engines look positively thrifty, yet at $2.40/litre, that's still significant.

On the other hand, totally understand Nick and the Admiral's perspective, too.
Kit_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 12:26 AM   #11823
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside View Post
For those not so worried about fuel prices;
40gph at 25kn with twin 680hp Volvos on Hamilton Jets.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/b...4?bof=p58a4XKd

Attachment 130121
200nm :- 25 kn = 8hrs X 40gph = 320gal X $7 = $2,240 :- 200nm = $11.20 per mile X 52 times per year = $116,480 annual fuel expense.

Whip out the plastic!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 05:48 AM   #11824
Guru

City: Newport, R.I.
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Would note the comments about waiting for tides doesn’t consider steerage. In general it’s easier to steer going upstream (against a current) than down. Not infrequently in places where’s there strong currents and the need for frequent course corrections to avoid fixed obstacles if you can’t go faster than the current you have no steerage and can get into a whole lot of hurt. As a younger sailor had some very underpowered boats and some with no engines at all. Then needed to time both ebb and flow both coming in and out. Others due to difficult slip and fairway issues may want to go at slack or against the tide both coming in and out. Even in sailboats or FD hulls you need sufficient power available to stay safe.
Very much like David Gerr’s discussions about needed shaft HP, props and related issues to achieve a safe useable boat.
Hippocampus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 07:55 AM   #11825
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocampus View Post
Would note the comments about waiting for tides doesn’t consider steerage. In general it’s easier to steer going upstream (against a current) than down. Not infrequently in places where’s there strong currents and the need for frequent course corrections to avoid fixed obstacles if you can’t go faster than the current you have no steerage and can get into a whole lot of hurt. As a younger sailor had some very underpowered boats and some with no engines at all. Then needed to time both ebb and flow both coming in and out. Others due to difficult slip and fairway issues may want to go at slack or against the tide both coming in and out. Even in sailboats or FD hulls you need sufficient power available to stay safe.
Very much like David Gerr’s discussions about needed shaft HP, props and related issues to achieve a safe useable boat.
If you're doing 7 kts through the water, you're doing that regardless of current direction and you'll have the same steerage. Against a 3 kt current you'll just see a lower SOG of 4 kts, going with the current you'd be going 10.

The steerage problem only really happens if you slow down while moving with the current.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 08:54 AM   #11826
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
If you're doing 7 kts through the water, you're doing that regardless of current direction and you'll have the same steerage. Against a 3 kt current you'll just see a lower SOG of 4 kts, going with the current you'd be going 10.

The steerage problem only really happens if you slow down while moving with the current.
So true!

As I'd mentioned on previous posts... I'd set our engines' rpms [perfectly synchronized by flashing light meter - and sound] so GPS read 7 knts in completely slack tide at trip beginning. Had purposefully started [timed] the cruise to ride with the current. Once the current really got underway... GPs read all the way up to 10.5 knots SOG. Meaning we were traveling with a 3.5 knot current [no appreciable wind]. And, of course boat handling was eze pezy! At end of cruise, as we exited SF Delta waters and entered SF Harbor the tide direction changed. Luckily we had but a few miles going against the tide and its current; which reached not more than 1 knot. Therefore, our GPS then read 6 knots SOG.

Now - if you run into "boiling" waters due to many factors boat handling can be affected at slower speeds whether going with or against the current.

And, in a row boat - you better plan well!!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 09:40 AM   #11827
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick14 View Post
This is an interesting boat and inexpensive. One error in the listing is that the boat is built of wood, which is described in the detailed text of the listing, but the summary lists it as fiberglass.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/197...awler-8377886/
Someone needs to bring Strumpet back to the West (wet) coast where it would be appreciated.
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 09:40 AM   #11828

City: New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit_L View Post
There will be less and less of these as time passes, I am thinking. These figures make my 45 litres/hour at 10kn for both engines look positively thrifty, yet at $2.40/litre, that's still significant.

There's no way around physics. With fuel at over $6/gal, running a power boat is $EXPENSIVE$. It's just a question of where in the excruciatingly expensive$$$ to unbearably expensive$$$$$ range you fall.

The only way around it seems to be either sail, or human power. I'm too old to go back to sailing, and cruising under human power means canoe camping, which I'm also too old for.

In another thread (I think semi-displacement?) there were some mentions of the old style (1920s/1930s) narrow powerboats that would make reasonable speed on modest power (at the trade off of less interior cabin space). A boat like that might bring the cost down to merely breathtakingly$$ expensive. I wonder if there might be at least of a bit of an increase in those styles of boats coming (like the Andreyale)?
Old 07-04-2022, 01:37 PM   #11829
Guru

City: West coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Someone needs to bring Strumpet back to the West (wet) coast where it would be appreciated.
But the cost of restoring and maintaining that wood boat…if the expertise still exists.
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 01:54 PM   #11830

City: Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowball View Post
But the cost of restoring and maintaining that wood boat…if the expertise still exists.
Of course the expertise exists. There are yards that still build wood boats and the skills are still being taught… even on the east coast if one can believe it.
Porgy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 02:07 PM   #11831

City: Tauranga
Vessel Name: Ahi
Vessel Model: Roger Hill Powercat
[QUOTE=There will be less and less of these as time passes, I am thinking.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps. This one sold four days after listing, sight unseen. At least two other buyers were ready to pounce. At present they are still very much sought after down here.
darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 02:18 PM   #11832

City: New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porgy View Post
Of course the expertise exists. There are yards that still build wood boats and the skills are still being taught… even on the east coast if one can believe it.
There are a number of renowned boatyards in Maine (as well as Rhode Island and Massachusetts) that only work on and build wood boats.

They turn out true works of art and beauty. The craftsmanship is breathtaking. So are the costs.

I think at this point, owning a wood boat is for either skilled boatrights, or the very wealthy for whom cost is no object.
Old 07-04-2022, 02:36 PM   #11833
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit_L View Post

Feeling pretty chuffed about our 15 litres/hour pushing a 60 ft 65 tonne house through the water @ 7.5kn

We have always used currents where we can, a leftover from our sailing days.
Old 07-04-2022, 02:45 PM   #11834
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick14 View Post
There's no way around physics. With fuel at over $6/gal, running a power boat is $EXPENSIVE$. It's just a question of where in the excruciatingly expensive$$$ to unbearably expensive$$$$$ range you fall.

The only way around it seems to be either sail, or human power. I'm too old to go back to sailing, and cruising under human power means canoe camping, which I'm also too old for.
Or actually go cruising to other lands.
Diesel pics in Malaysia currently $1.85/gallon US
Old 07-04-2022, 08:53 PM   #11835
Veteran Member

City: Puerto Vallarta
Vessel Name: Bounty Hunter (Sold)
Vessel Model: Bayliner 38
Ex Pineapple Cup Racer Converted to Trawler

1999 Ex Racer, de rigged, re-fitted to the dark side.
Attached Thumbnails
sl.jpg  
bountyhunter44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 09:01 PM   #11836
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: SEA WOLF
Vessel Model: 1979 CHB 41 Trawler
Western Flyer launched!
https://youtu.be/VwFWctNHckE
socalrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 01:36 AM   #11837
Veteran Member

City: Friday Harbor
Vessel Name: Crossroads
Vessel Model: North Pacific 34
Wow! what a difference in just a few years since she was sitting on the bottom of the Swinomish!

Like the fellow said it must be a true privilege to be part of that crew.
Crossroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 03:32 AM   #11838
Guru

So around here there’s places where steering gets real mushy because speed through the water is quite different than speed over ground going with the current and quite sensitive when against. Are you telling us it makes no difference in how much rudder or distance is needed to make the same turn upstream or down?
Old 07-05-2022, 03:43 AM   #11839
Guru

A great projected use as well. Wonder the specifics of the propulsion system. Totally electric when in sensitive areas.
Old 07-05-2022, 04:05 AM   #11840
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocampus View Post
So around here there’s places where steering gets real mushy because speed through the water is quite different than speed over ground going with the current and quite sensitive when against. Are you telling us it makes no difference in how much rudder or distance is needed to make the same turn upstream or down?
Of course it does
But you learns your boat and works her accordingly