Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
b6a86066bd9fd8d6ce5cdb4a004ff6526c88f1fe.jpg
One friends send this link to me yesterday, I phone today...already sold

From 1990, one engine dead, one with exaust problem ok but the price ...?

https://www.leboncoin.fr/offre/nautisme/2564525934

on the BMW diesel,

Might be a reason I have seen multiple Lord Nelson's for sale thru the years with a 'spare' BMW engine for parts etc

...Greed is a funny thing with some sellers.

"Greed" may be the wrong label. I've come across several of these situations, they usually fit into one of these categories;

1] Disingenuous listing. The divorce decree requires that the boat be sold and the proceeds divided, but does not specify a deadline.

2] They want to get out of it what they put into it. They put $150k engines into a $50k boat, they WILL NOT be persuaded that the value is one nickel less than $200k.

3] Emotional paralysis. It was dad's boat, he always talked about it being worth $300k, it must be worth $300k. Nevermind that decade of neglect/decay while dad's health failed and the estate worked its way through the court, if it's not worth 300k that means dad was wrong and Dad Was Never Wrong.

"Greed" may be the wrong label. I've come across several of these situations, they usually fit into one of these categories;

1] Disingenuous listing. The divorce decree requires that the boat be sold and the proceeds divided, but does not specify a deadline.

2] They want to get out of it what they put into it. They put $150k engines into a $50k boat, they WILL NOT be persuaded that the value is one nickel less than $200k.

3] Emotional paralysis. It was dad's boat, he always talked about it being worth $300k, it must be worth $300k. Nevermind that decade of neglect/decay while dad's health failed and the estate worked its way through the court, if it's not worth 300k that means dad was wrong and Dad Was Never Wrong.

:lol::rofl::lol::rofl::lol::rofl::rofl::lol::rofl:

Those all sound like very real possibilities in many situations, but are also just different ways of spelling greed!

..............This is worth a look, downside is the single BMW diesel is stern drive................
https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boat...-boats/stebercraft-steber-38-flybridge/304252
1_4.jpg
/QUOTE]

I am looking out my den window at a 1986 BMW D190Z on a stand. 185 HP. These engines made it into some Lord Nelson Victory Tugs. I haven't found a boat to put it in but it runs like a top on the stand. BMW made a sterndrive for this engine, X drive. Mercruiser bought BMW Marine and continued to make my engine well into the 90's. A lot of it's parts are in Cummins engines. So, any experience with BMW? I do agree a boat this size with sterndrive is unusual.
My observation was directed to the sterndrive as inferior to shaft. BMW are more seen as sailboat auxiliaries here, I never owned a BMW but expect they make good engines.

Last edited:
..............This is worth a look, downside is the single BMW diesel is stern drive................
https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boat...-boats/stebercraft-steber-38-flybridge/304252
1_4.jpg
/QUOTE]

I am looking out my den window at a 1986 BMW D190Z on a stand. 185 HP. These engines made it into some Lord Nelson Victory Tugs. I haven't found a boat to put it in but it runs like a top on the stand. BMW made a sterndrive for this engine, X drive. Mercruiser bought BMW Marine and continued to make my engine well into the 90's. A lot of it's parts are in Cummins engines. So, any experience with BMW? I do agree a boat this size with sterndrive is unusual.

Agree with the comments about sterndrive vs shaft.

It's a very clean looking engine and could perhaps easily be converted to shaft.
Appears to have an sae bellhousing, which has an adaptor for bmw/volvo style
outdrive.

That adaptor can be removed and replaced with a common marine transmission adaptor plate......will also need a 'centa' (or other) style flywheel trans-drive dampner

https://www.sbmar.com/product/zf-transmission-adapter-plate-sae3-45a-63a-63iv/

Not sure if this has been posted before, seems like a hell of a lot of boat for the money.

Not sure if this has been posted before, seems like a hell of a lot of boat for the money.

Way too much boat for me, but it does look like a good deal.

This Hatteras is for sale by the owner, it is an extremely sad story of a mother who wanted to renovate this boat with her son. Her son passed away recently and now she is selling the boat. They did a lot of work already, but sadly could not finish it.
I saw her post on facebook, if someone is interested I can give you the link. This is the text she wrote.

I have a 50' Hatteras motor yacht I must sell. It is the same boat as Gus's only a year newer, 1969. I bought for my son and I to work on together to do charters however he passed away 5 weeks ago. We got the starboard engine going and the port just needs put back together. It has a lot of custom work that the previous owner did which is why I bought it after searching for 2 years. I will be detailing in video. I am heartbroken we didn't get to see our dream but so thankful for the time we got to share working on the boat. Please PM me if anyone has any interest.

Attachments

• Hatteras 2.jpg
    Hatteras 2.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Hatteras 3.jpg
    Hatteras 3.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Hatteras 4.jpg
    Hatteras 4.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Hatteras 5.jpg
    Hatteras 5.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Hatteras 6.jpg
    Hatteras 6.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Hatteras 7.jpg
    Hatteras 7.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Hatteras.jpg
    Hatteras.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 15
57 Royal Passagemaker Grouse III 1998 Newport | Denison Yacht Sales
Any idea why such a nice boat, or better nice hull is offered at such a price. OK needs a lot of elbow grease and maybe som 100 -200 k investment but such boat in good shape i have seen near 800 k.
That does look like a great boat, that is well priced. I will guess at why it looks so cheap.
1. I bet it would cost a lot more than 100-200K to have it brought back to super nice yacht spec if hired it out. I bet if you brought it into a high quality yard and had them fix all the issues you could easily hit the $800K price you mentioned. (It still might be an ok deal if you love the rest of the boat.
2. That is a SLOW trawler (Similar to mine). A lot of the similar size Nordhavn, Northern marine, etc, advertise a faster cruise speed.
3. No swim step in the back, and high side gates. Makes it hard to swim off of, get in and out of dingy, and get on and off it at the dock. Especially when first coming in when you might not want the boarding steps hanging out in harms way.
4. Deep draft.

This is my current crush. It is right at the $800k price point, and similar in many ways to this boat.

Last edited:

Very cool boat, except for the 7 ft bowsprit. Hmm, $20 per ft per month x 12 months = ...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 6.53.03 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 6.53.03 AM.png
    618.8 KB · Views: 6
That does look like a great boat, that is well priced. I will guess at why it looks so cheap.
1. I bet it would cost a lot more than 100-200K to have it brought back to super nice yacht spec if hired it out. I bet if you brought it into a high quality yard and had them fix all the issues you could easily hit the $800K price you mentioned.
I see a sagging headliner and the exterior paint job so far. What deficiencies/repairs are you seeing that need to be addressed? Other than upgrades like a swim platform.

many windows and portholes have water damage, headliner completly, and maybe a engine room refit. but for me it doesent look too bad

Woodwork around most of the windows and opening ports/ fixing the windows and ports, Paint (This is a huge expense to have professionally done on a boat like this), headliners (Again, huge expense), carpets look stained in a couple places. Electronics are old and a buyer would likely upgrade. Dingy crane looks tired and needs at least a paint job. At least some of the 26 year old upholstery is likely tired and could use replacement, Indoor and outdoor. Looks like the canvas Bimini up top is missing, and likely needs rebuilding. I wouldn't be shocked if the batteries are old and near end of life. I bet that boat has dozens of systems that are overdue on preventative maintenance and need to at least be checked and some will need repair/rebuild. All this stuff adds up really fast when you are paying $120/hour.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is a super cool boat, and if it was on the West coast I would be trying to figure out a way to get my wife to let me buy it. If you enjoy the DIY projects almost as much as using the boat, (I may be guilty of this) it looks like a great deal. But I also understand why it's not priced like a boat that has had continuous impeccable maintenance.

you are right at least its priced fair, seen many boats or owners who dreaming about the value off their old yacht , used hard and put away wet..... especially with the famous brands. Ok with 120 / hr it gets too expensive......i my head i still have 20 / hr for stupid work but know this is 20 years back.

This is too much boat for me, on the wrong continent, and even if I was rich enough to maintain it, I would only consider it if I had 70' covered moorage to keep it in. That being said. This is a lot of boat for $650K! From the pictures it looks absolutely spotless. What would it cost to build a boat like this? 5-7+ Million? I especially like the huge covered back deck. Has nice small trawler engines too. I find the level of craftsmanship that obviously went into this project very intoxicating.

Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 8.29.07 PM.png

price reduced to 599.000 euro. it was kept in Mallorca from the beginning and looks good. Steel is quite common here in europe. its on my shortlist but the Teak is a problem in the Med.....the bridge is a little bit cramped with the galley but all the rest i like. allways maintained by a hired captain with open checkbook. would like to know what it cost per year to keep her up. very difficult market for such boats which are normally run with a small crew for rich owners. these owners never handle such bosts alone and i dont think its not cool to buy secondhand for them. they fly in for holidays and the rest of the year the boat is in the marina. so where is the market for such boats beside maybe an idiot like me ......

Last edited:
She was for sale, at less, as long as our.
Now with her recent price reduction she is near in the same range than our.
Plus :
She is in better cosmetic condition than our, nice teak deck (even if I don't like teak deck on metal boat).
Nice gloss varnish, engine room seams well, fitted.
Minus :
Curiously relatively narrow beam for her LOA, huge draft 2.50m, 5000 h on engine, 2x215hp for a boat who probably weight around 70/75 T
Anyway nice boat .

More traditional, too much wood BUT lovely engine, well maintained. unfortunately no stabilizers and small bridge . but for northern area looks tough and fits into old harbours, so different from a typical yacht trawler. and i love these old engine running 900 rpm or 1000 wot

... and yet another price reduction to $149,000 - down from the original listing price of $399,000 three years ago -

That's a good looking boat. Appears to be an unbutchered time capsule - a good thing to my reckoning. Being stored indoors during winter is another good thing.

Selling a custom one-off boat takes a while. Sounds like the seller started by thinking this increased the value but has slowly learned the opposite is true. Also, the online description isn't really written to draw in a buyer from outside the area (no description of systems, tankage, sparse pictures of ER spaces, etc.) - guessing the broker was planning on walk-by traffic to sell this boat. Shame for the owner - during Covid, this boat would have easily sold for $250k and he would have avoided $50k in holding costs. There's a lesson in there......

Back
Top Bottom