Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
attachment.php

Nice
Though I do wonder why you wouldn't continue the run fwd on the skeg making it horizontal and run it out to zero.

attachment.php

Nice
Though I do wonder why you wouldn't continue the run fwd on the skeg making it horizontal and run it out to zero.

Just wondering... wouldn't that create ever more water friction surface area if the shorter keel/skeg was structurally ample? However, thinking more on this item... probably the longer the keel/skeg the better for tracking as well as less chance to heel while cruising.

Last edited:
250 gal holding tank? How do you fill that with only 50 gal of drinking water?

I’m pretty sure that square rigger was mentioned already on this 1100 page long thread.

I still think it would serve best converted to power only - toss the masts overboard, build a pilot house, reballast it properly with a naval architects help.

Would be one cool ride.

Why drink rum? And what would that even have to do with fuel and water capacities?

Well in the old, old days, water wasn’t safe to drink on board, so they drank fermented beverages instead. I think with only 5-0 gallons of freshwater on board but globe-trotting fuel capacity they might need to do the same - though it might have a water maker. The heads might use raw water also -they’re out there, I’m looking at a passagemaker trawler with two of them.

Could also be a typo [emoji6]

Last edited:
Well in the old, old days, water wasn’t safe to drink on board, so they drank fermented beverages instead. I think with only 5-0 gallons of freshwater on board but globe-trotting fuel capacity they might need to do the same - though it might have a water maker. The heads might use raw water also -they’re out there, I’m looking at a passagemaker trawler with two of them.

Ahh, ok, got it. Of course a boat like that will have a watermaker, no issue at all.

Hence the birth of IPA! I was mostly joking but even with a watermaker I'd think a ship that size carries more than 50 gal water. Most likely a typo.

Dont know, but its a well known builder. They say 1000 gallons water, and of course will have a water maker.

Not sure why you'd want to carry 1000 gal of water while having a watermaker. Then again, if you own that boat I guess efficiency is not a major concern.

Fresh water can also be used as ballast. My N46 housed the FW in the keel. I think it carried 600 gal of FW. I installed a 150 gpd 12vt water maker.

Not sure why you'd want to carry 1000 gal of water while having a watermaker.

Good question, but try this premise: you’re taking your vessel on an extended cruise to remote destinations (South Pacific, Tierra del Fuego, Indian Ocean) and your water maker conks out, leaving you with only a half full 200 gallon tank of potable water.

Oh oh.

Perhaps consider acceptable water tankage based on a percentage of displacement. A recreational “trawler” may carry 20-25% of its weight in liquids. A certain amount for fuel and the balance for water.

So 1000 gallons of water in a 100 ton boat would be equivalent to 140 gallons in a 14 ton boat.

Fresh water can also be used as ballast. My N46 housed the FW in the keel. I think it carried 600 gal of FW. I installed a 150 gpd 12vt water maker.

Indeed wayer as ballast. The Finnish 18.20 pilot boat can take 3.5 tons of water ballast, but dont say if freah or seawater. I guess thats about 3k gallons or watever. And this interesting boat even has heated decks in case youre in an icy place.

Good question, but try this premise: you’re taking your vessel on an extended cruise to remote destinations (South Pacific, Tierra del Fuego, Indian Ocean) and your water maker conks out, leaving you with only a half full 200 gallon tank of potable water.

Oh oh.

Perhaps consider acceptable water tankage based on a percentage of displacement. A recreational “trawler” may carry 20-25% of its weight in liquids. A certain amount for fuel and the balance for water.

So 1000 gallons of water in a 100 ton boat would be equivalent to 140 gallons in a 14 ton boat.

Indeed, guys who can afford boats like that GH 74, usually dont like having to hope for rain water, so even though they have a watermaker, they want to make sure they dont run out.

If you've got capacity for 1000 gallons, nothing says you need to keep the tanks full all the time.

We are the same, about 950 gallons in the lazaret and 150lph watermaker, tanks always full.

Makes no noticeable difference to speed or fuel burn but comfort levels are improved when full.

I understand why you'd want to keep weight low in the boat, but relying on fresh water as ballast doesn't sound like the smartest idea. The boat's stability relies partly on how full your water tank is?

I understand why you'd want to keep weight low in the boat, but relying on fresh water as ballast doesn't sound like the smartest idea. The boat's stability relies partly on how full your water tank is?

When I had my N46 tied to the dock, with storm or hurricane coming, I always filled the water tanks.

If the considerably large water tanks are only partially filled... their baffles must work wonders for stabilizing-factors on the thousands of pounds of liquid when out in rough water... especially in any %age of beam angled seas.

If the considerably large water tanks are only partially filled... their baffles must work wonders for stabilizing-factors on the thousands of pounds of liquid when out in rough water... especially in any %age of beam angled seas.

I'd expect you need to account for that in the baffle design regardless of intended usage, as any tank will be partially full at some point while the boat is in use.

Back
Top Bottom