Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's a 46' motorsailer custom built by Lien Waa for a very experienced owner who was 71 at the time. 100 hp Yanmar, hydraulic steering and autopilot, inside and outside helm, Northern Lights gen, 3 Cruise Air AC units, all Lewmar electric winches, roller furling self tending jib, roller furling in boom for main and mizzen. Solid glass layup. We hope this is the boat for us as we get older we are 64 and 60 now.

It's a 46' motorsailer custom built by Lien Waa for a very experienced owner who was 71 at the time. 100 hp Yanmar, hydraulic steering and autopilot, inside and outside helm, Northern Lights gen, 3 Cruise Air AC units, all Lewmar electric winches, roller furling self tending jib, roller furling in boom for main and mizzen. Solid glass layup. We hope this is the boat for us as we get older we are 64 and 60 now.

Is that one of the Gatsbys that were designed by Jim Backus?

I've lusted over them for years! Oops.

did this company build a 38' version of this in the early 80's?

Was aboard a very similar looking vessel albiet shorter some years ago in Friday Harbor.

Well executed, but somewhat underpowered per the owners.

A beauty for sure

This is an Ed Monk Jr. design. I cruises easily at 8 knots under power. My understanding is the original design by Monk was also called the Gatsby. It has a bow thruster and so far has been pretty easy for us to handle.

This is an Ed Monk Jr. design. I cruises easily at 8 knots under power. My understanding is the original design by Monk was also called the Gatsby. It has a bow thruster and so far has been pretty easy for us to handle.

Ah, I didn't think the Jim Backus design was that long. (It sounds like Bshanafelt looked at one of his designs.) Beautiful boats all!

We found her stored inside a building in CT. She had not been in the water for 5 years so even younger than her 2004 age.

Long Island where we live is the setting for The Great Gatsby book so it seems appropriate.

The 54' air draft and 5'6" draft will allow us to do the ICW south when I retire.

Slowboattochina

Yes, I suspect you will have many admirer's stopping you along the way and at anchor.

Yours is the exact type of boat that this thread is about - any chance of you sharing more pics and specs?

Nice built in stabilizer system too.

welcome to tf

Here are some more pics

Attachments

• IMG_1718.jpg
    IMG_1718.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1713.jpg
    IMG_1713.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1755.jpg
    IMG_1755.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1966.jpg
    IMG_1966.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1747.jpg
    IMG_1747.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1723.jpg
    IMG_1723.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 51

That thing is straight up beautiful!

Attachments

• gats.jpg
    gats.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 39
  • gats2.jpg
    gats2.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 278
We found her stored inside a building in CT. She had not been in the water for 5 years so even younger than her 2004 age.

Long Island where we live is the setting for The Great Gatsby book so it seems appropriate.

The 54' air draft and 5'6" draft will allow us to do the ICW south when I retire.

That rig will be right at home in GreenPort.

It has a ton of wood to maintain but we kind of like doing that. I previously did a keel up restoration of a 1960 Rhodes and a 1941 John Alden designed 50' swordfishing yacht. Teak decks and varnish don't scare us.

SB2C - How the heck did you ever come across that inside secluded beauty? Was her mast stepped? I love your very unique boat!

She had been stored with masts down in a heated building at a very reputable marina. Then the PO became ill and she stayed there. We were able to travel to see her from NY to CT despite the pandemic. I had a very hard time booking a surveyor because they were so busy. I finally got an excellent report. Because I have quite a lot of experience restoring old boats I was comfortable making an "as is where is" offer which was accepted.

I had her launched at the marina and the masts stepped then we changed filters, belts, etc. and sailed her home to Long Island Labor Day weekend. I spent the rest of the fall testing and learning all the systems.

So far other than an exploded waste pump (yuck) everything was fine.

I know we took a big risk here but we didn't want anybody else to get this boat.

Attachments

• IMG_1725.jpeg
    IMG_1725.jpeg
    77.5 KB · Views: 64
Ah yes, heated shed. That usually means 'out of the weather and above freezing.'
My ideas of a heated shed is about 75F.

I wish you and your mate many many happy hours.

Slowboattochina, all I can say is wow and congratulations! Your boat is right up my alley. Very interesting indeed! Best wishes for many years of enjoyable cruising ahead...

Don't scare me either.
Glass over and emerclad those teak decks
Paint the varnish in a solid colour
Regain sanity, get your life back and pour a martini. ;)

Here here!!! Epifanes-Mahogany #14 SKU-185434 From five feet away appears bright finish. We have 175 inches of annual rain. My application of this product has stood for two years going on three and the finish is still 'bright'

Al-Ketchikan

Back
Top Bottom