Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This one’s a little more practical especially for me, a Beebe design. Not the most beautiful lines I’ve ever encountered but great for a family of four intent on traveling somewhere, layout is anything but traditional for a vessel of this size and class but strikes me as comfy for living instead of entertaining.
https://au.yachtworld.com/boats/1982/custom-beebe-passagemaker-3683500/

Looks pretty good.
Just a personal preference, I dont like the 'fish' system.
The interior design is a bit screwy but, I guess it would take some time.
A pilot house would be nice but not a deal killer.

Last edited:
This one’s a little more practical especially for me, a Beebe design. Not the most beautiful lines I’ve ever encountered but great for a family of four intent on traveling somewhere, layout is anything but traditional for a vessel of this size and class but strikes me as comfy for living instead of entertaining.
https://au.yachtworld.com/boats/1982/custom-beebe-passagemaker-3683500/

I like the prow-sweep on her bow. May help in front on seas. Interior looks cramped. No Bridge... bummer - for me! LOL

Looks pretty good.
Just a personal preference, I dont like the 'fish' system.
The interior design is a bit screwy but, I guess it would take some time.
A pilot house would be nice but not a deal killer.

I’d be interested in knowing the draft. Considering the provenance I would assume it should be a rather deep keel but then it was partially designed for canal touring too. Considering we have both the loop and some passage making hopefully in our future, did Beebe manage to work magic in this regard?

And I’d consider the topmost cabin a pilot house, albeit a pretty large one - with people walking through it to enter and exit the lower spaces. Sort of like the setup on some other smallish passagemakers like the diesel duck.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 4C052B6E-C05D-4BAB-AD62-B9BB5FCF992D.jpg
    4C052B6E-C05D-4BAB-AD62-B9BB5FCF992D.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 68
Ben2go, I think the sag was the original design. The house design almost had to be flat or the 'sag' line would have make it difficult to enter from the stern without crawling on your knees LOL

Ben2go, I think the sag was the original design. The house design almost had to be flat or the 'sag' line would have make it difficult to enter from the stern without crawling on your knees LOL
The shear line has proper curve. In the center, there looks to be a bit of a dip that doesn't flow with the shear line of the hull. You have to look really close. I almost missed it. It could be distortion in the pic.

7'5" draft... 1953 wood boat... You do the math!

Might work well as a dock queen; before all bottom work [refastening etc] is completed. That is as long as a yard will haul it and place it on the hard.

The shear line has proper curve. In the center, there looks to be a bit of a dip that doesn't flow with the shear line of the hull. You have to look really close. I almost missed it. It could be distortion in the pic.

Boot stripe [bottom paint line] doesn't seem to repeat that dip; as can be seen on gunnel stripe.

I’d be interested in knowing the draft. Considering the provenance I would assume it should be a rather deep keel but then it was partially designed for canal touring too. Considering we have both the loop and some passage making hopefully in our future, did Beebe manage to work magic in this regard?

And I’d consider the topmost cabin a pilot house, albeit a pretty large one - with people walking through it to enter and exit the lower spaces. Sort of like the setup on some other smallish passagemakers like the diesel duck.

For me this and some other Beebe designs shortchange storage. Yes there’s hanging lockers for clothing and pantries and other hatches for food and whatnot, and under seat storage no doubt, but for us, we will be using all the sleeping cabins. This one doesn’t have much of a lazarette if at all due to the master cabin at the stern, and not much useable topsides space for bikes, freezers, gear boxes and the like, at least not without obstructing the pilot view. Sigh.

Fales is a copy of a Willard. A business deal gone bad.

That's correct. The tooling for the 30' Vega-Class hull was sent to Fales on the East coast to save shipping expenses among other considerations. Anecdotally, the Fales yard was supposedly near, a division of or somehow associated with Tillotson/Pearson. After the first 10 or so boats were built, Fales extended the hull by 2' and began marketing it as a Fales 32, ignoring the agreements with Willard. According to Willard, they chose not to pursue legal actions, rather focusing their efforts on their military and limited civilian boat building. The Willard/Fales line was often called the "Pocket Battleship of small Trawlers.

I owned a 30' version of the Fales 30 named "Boomarang" which was well known on this forum. It was originally owned by one of the TF founders. She is on the market right now in Tarpon Springs, FL.

Willard did make a sailboat w a cabin much like other sailboats. Called the Eight Ton. Another model called the horizon was a motorsailer. All the others were rec trawlers.

I owned a 30' version of the Fales 30 named "Boomarang" which was well known on this forum. It was originally owned by one of the TF founders. She is on the market right now in Tarpon Springs, FL.

Now that's a nice little boat.

Willard did make a sailboat w a cabin much like other sailboats. Called the Eight Ton. Another model called the horizon was a motorsailer. All the others were rec trawlers.
Thanks for that info. I'll have to look into that. :thumb:

Deks Olje is another similar product to Cetol and very easy to use...
View attachment 108308
I`ve used both of the above, to me they are not really similar. Deks Olje application starts with a wood saturation using D/O #1, multiple serial coats until the wood won`t accept any more, then maintained by periodic reapplication, with the option of applying D/O#2 which is a glossy (?polyurethane) finish. Cetol is applied like varnish, but from removing excess from fingers etc, it does seem more like oil than varnish. It has a way better varnish like gloss,and it lasts longer,than D/O#2.

Bruce,
The Deks Olje sequence sounds like my oiling procedure and their reasons for the different coatings sound the same. Penetration to start and heavy coating to finish sounds a lot like my time honored drill.

I’ve used neither DO or Cetol.

But for many years I’ve painted by starting w first highly thinned coats followed by not so thinned coats and finally full strength. But that was always using the same finish product .. thinning being the only difference. Later on for varnish I start w 75% kerosene as a vehicle to take the oil as far into the wood as possible. Of course the kero evaporates.
Many paints and/or coatings use primers. But there may be other under coatings that will help hold the top coat to the undercoats and the all that it is applied to.

Last edited:
This boat looks like a Willard Hull. Willard did make an “Eight Ton Ketch”. I think that was right. Long time ago.

I remember the “Eight Ton” title was due to its weight, including 4K lbs of iron and concrete ballast.

Howdy Fam. I was passing through Bay City Michigan this morning, and I saw this interesting craft. She’s been sitting on the hard here for a few years now, and I always mean to snap a pic, but never seem to get around to it. She looks like a motor sailor of some sort. She’s got a bowsprit and chainplates. Looks to be about 34-38 feet, and most likely fiberglass. Sorry for the potatophone quality pics, I was zoomed all the way in.

IMG_3916.jpgIMG_3914.jpgIMG_3915.jpg

Howdy Fam. I was passing through Bay City Michigan this morning, and I saw this interesting craft. She’s been sitting on the hard here for a few years now, and I always mean to snap a pic, but never seem to get around to it. She looks like a motor sailor of some sort. She’s got a bowsprit and chainplates. Looks to be about 34-38 feet, and most likely fiberglass. Sorry for the potatophone quality pics, I was zoomed all the way in.

View attachment 108504View attachment 108505View attachment 108506
Looks like another Jay Benford design.

A caricature of a boat, and a boat, at the same time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom