Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Forrest Sherman Class Destroyer

"This one" is the USS Edson. She's a Forrest Sherman Class Destroyer. I grew up on the USS Turner Joy DD-951. It was great being a "Tin Can" Sailor.

Attachments

• Queenship.jpg
    Queenship.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 107
Great looking boat. One would think they could have found room for a 3rd stateroom for the crew. SHRUG

Why am I liking this more than a Nordy 60'? Might be because it has a hinged mast instead of an ugly drystack. And the draft is advertised as under 5'. She seems to have all the right stuff for passage making. Now if I just had a spare $ million and chump change....

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/20...sagemaker-3522049/?refSource=standard listing

I have been looking at that beauty....just about perfect...might be a little too much for the wife and I, but you never know...:)

I have been looking at that beauty....just about perfect...might be a little too much for the wife and I, but you never know...:)

11 years old and still over one mil. I wonder how much it cost new.

Hi,

Nice condition old trawler, i like...

e97212b173d249e693e9828c7d91b52e.jpg

more pic and info

YachtBroker

NBs

FANTASTICALLY BEAUTIFUL boat. Of course for FL, it would need A/C and possibly stabilizers plus a washer dryer and water maker, for convenience.

I looked at all the pictures 3 times and realized I was having an involuntary orgasms.

A bit more than $385K
Hello 'crowd funding'

Last edited:
11 years old and still over one mil. I wonder how much it cost new.

North of 2 million as I recall, I read about a family who had the sister ship built , they traveled with their children to different ports and home schooled..

Likely this fine vessel has already made this thread but here is a photo I took of her this morning lying Sea of Cortez.
I think it my good fortune to now have been up close to three of these historic Romsdals. Delfin in Washington and Torsk in Australia, both in steel, and now OceanQuest in wood in Mexico.
I got a very nice tour from Bill today and he has done a ton of good stuff to this ship with a very colorful history. Cruise ready would be an understatement.

Attachments

• 3F78C607-8A56-4727-A511-EB656C50F4F7.jpg
    3F78C607-8A56-4727-A511-EB656C50F4F7.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 106
Now that's a man's boat. The only problem I see with it is the anchor is on the wrong side of the hull. Portside-Northern Hemisphere. Starboard-Southern Hemisphere

And if you have two anchors?
Or if you are in transit from one hemisphere to the other?
And if you are anchored on the equator?
Why cant we all just get along?

And if you have two anchors?
Or if you are in transit from one hemisphere to the other?
And if you are anchored on the equator?
Why cant we all just get along?

His anchor placement is different than mine...
... I think he should stay on his side of the equator...
... maybe we should build a wall...
:)

Attachments

• 6239764_20170518030045783_1_LARGE.jpg
    6239764_20170518030045783_1_LARGE.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 64
Bat wings may be the way to go if they are properly designed for your hull and your hull is sturdy enough and you are in the habit of grounding your boat on a falling tide.

New dock neighbor, a obvious 26 foot Nordic Tug hull with a different house. Spoke to the owner, (3'd) who indicated it to be the prototype hull. I asked about the house which is quite different. Owner only knew the boat was built in l980 which seems about the time Nordic Tug started. The power is original 4-236 Perkins and the boat had been on the hard for 12 years prior to this ownership.
I inquired of Nordic Tug without a response, as to the orthogonality of the indicated remark on this being the original. :dance:
View attachment 86492
Is her name Chloe? If so, she is the keel plug for 26 hulls. If it has a HIN, it should be 26000.

Time has been for sale for a long time now....I forget the name of the shipyard, but it is all Nova Scotia...nice hull, the interior finish, not so much...

Anyone have any idea how big of a fuel penalty those massive rolling chocks would cost in fuel use?... those are HUGE
HOLLYWOOD

I don't know how much they hurt fuel economy but It sure does look out of place. With the beam and how low it is I can't see much of a gain in the stability side but I'm thinking they were more for the ability to beach it's self.

...I'm thinking they were more for the ability to beach it's self.

Maybe the Bay of Fundy with its 50 foot tides was a favourite playground, and semi-regular beaching made sense. A lot less fussing around than beach legs.

I used to own a 30' Cornish Crabber that had what was called "bilge keels' in the UK. They are nice when you have a significant tidal range.

The boat in question has weird appendages for sure, but 'bat wings' (as they call them on the listing) on the coast of BC are entirely different. Bilge keels usually stick out at an angle. These ones are unique as far as I can tell, being a cross between rolling chocks and permanent vertical beach legs.

They must have an effect on dampening the snap-roll of a hard chine hull...imagine the force required to pull two sheets of plywood sideways through the water.

Back
Top Bottom