Insurance Survey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjwilliams11741

It's that time again, the insurance carrier is asking for survey. Since I recently had the boat hauled it needs only to be an in the water survey. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good "insurance surveyor" in the California Delta? We keep the boat at a marina in the Delta Loop (Isleton, CA address).

It's that time again, the insurance carrier is asking for survey. Since I recently had the boat hauled it needs only to be an in the water survey. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good "insurance surveyor" in the California Delta? We keep the boat at a marina in the Delta Loop (Isleton, CA address).

Since this is just for insurance, not a purchase, your insurance agent or company likely has a list of those it's used or approves.

I've been with my broker for over 17 years and with this particular company for 15 years. I am free to choose any surveyor accredited by ACMS or SAMS. What I am really asking is for recommendations for a surveyor that is not a gung ho buyers surveyor who nit picks every little flaw. The guy who surveyed me 10 years ago got so frustrated that he could not find anything wrong with the boat that he listed a hairline crack in a teak step to the flybridge deck, noted in the report that I didn't have children's life jackets aboard (I actually had / have 4 but he didn't bother to ask me if and did and where they were), and noted that my life ring didn't have the boats name on it.

I realize you're free to choose but thought your insurer might have a recommendation of someone who did insurance surveys frequently as opposed to buyer's surveys. Some won't say anyone but some will say "A lot of our clients use xxxx and we're happy with his work."

Good point. Never had a problem with these folks and although I never had a claim every time I needed changes in cruising areas and changes of berthing in hurricane zones they were quite easy to deal with. On the other hand, having worked in the insurance industry for over 30 years I carry some skepticism - probably unnecessarily but it's still in the background of my mind.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom