Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-20-2017, 03:14 PM   #101
Guru
 
AusCan's Avatar
 
City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Kev_rm,

Insurance is NOT and investment, it's an expense, just like fuel. Some get a good feeling about it, but you don't get a return on your dollar. And, it you averaged in all of the premiums and claims, the policy holder would loose. It's just a fact of life, you get no benefit that pays for the insurance companies overhead and profit.

Now, I believe there are some forms of life insurance that is an investment, but last time I looked at it I could do better with money under a mattress.
Just because the average policy holder loses, does not preclude it from being an investment. You get a return on your dollar if your dollar if you make a successful claim. You may make a profit if your claim is more than your total insurance premiums.
When buying hull insurance, it is like selling short. You win something if your boat value goes down.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:45 PM   #102
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 8,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Benthic2,



It doesn't work that way... look at Obama care.


In general it really does work that way. There are other factors that will affect insurance premiums however. All else being equal, the larger the pool the lower the risk and therefore the lower the premiums.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:07 PM   #103
Guru
 
Benthic2's Avatar
 
City: Boston Area
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,919
The "return" you get on your "investment" isn't only what you receive in claims. It is the security of knowing that your max payout in any given year will be your deductable. If you need to equate it to a financial instrument it would be like a put option. It is protection against a loss greater than a fixed amount. You get that benefit every year, whether you file a claim or not.

Another important fact to remember is that Insurance companies do have overhead as mentioned above...but they also have investment income to offset it, so the overhead is not as large as you might think.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:30 PM   #104
Guru
 
City: Northport
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Benthic2,

It doesn't work that way... look at Obama care.

Obama care is a tax not insurance - so apples and oranges.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:04 PM   #105
Guru
 
Alaskan Sea-Duction's Avatar
 
City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6,991
So bottom line is insurance a scam. From my pocket to the CEO of the insurance company. If thay can convince legislatures (like auto) that the citizens should be required to carry insurance then that fills their pockets with cash. It will be interesting how many insurance companies bail out of Texss and Florida. Its all about money and profit.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:17 PM   #106
Guru
 
City: Northport
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
My boat isnt the Exxon Valdez and neither is anyone elses here.....typical not understanding basic concepts of what this forum really is.

If someone let their house get torn down for a couple hundred gallons of heating oil, someone got screwed. I have worked for a company that cleaned up residential oil tanks and spills. Huge difference in a couple hundred gallons and thousands, between light and heavy oils and on land or the water.

I guess its just experience why it is so unckear to some.
I worked for an oil and chemical clean up company as well and during the short time I was there I saw many fines levied both on land and in the water. Some spills were quite large but we also had our share of smaller land based spills where we were brought in by the EPA to limit the affects.
Even that long ago there were reasonably high fines for smaller spills - this is in the New York and NJ areas.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:21 PM   #107
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 19,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
So bottom line is insurance a scam. From my pocket to the CEO of the insurance company. If thay can convince legislatures (like auto) that the citizens should be required to carry insurance then that fills their pockets with cash. It will be interesting how many insurance companies bail out of Texss and Florida. Its all about money and profit.
Well, after Andrew, they tried to bail out of Florida. Right now they're under a brief no cancel, no increase rule. After Andrew, a couple of insurers said they were withdrawing from providing homeowners. The insurance commissioner said that he couldn't stop them from doing that but he could control who was allowed to sell in the state and everyone who sold auto insurance would also be selling homeowners. We shall see this time. The very size of the two states makes it less likely for them all to run. Now, you really worry about an area like Puerto Rico where most companies could easily afford to forego that business.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:51 PM   #108
Guru
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 11,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
Just because the average policy holder loses, does not preclude it from being an investment. You get a return on your dollar if your dollar if you make a successful claim. You may make a profit if your claim is more than your total insurance premiums.
When buying hull insurance, it is like selling short. You win something if your boat value goes down.
Steve, I`m not with you on the "profit" concept. Insurance cover buys restitution for loss due to an insured peril. There is no profit, just reinstatement or equivalent money, less any "adjustments"(deductions) the policy stipulates. The premium is a fee, once paid it has bought a years cover.
The premium is what you pay for the entitlement to restitution. You pay it each year you insure, at the end of each year the cover is exhausted,but usually renewed upon payment of another premium.
__________________
BruceK
2005 Integrity 386 "Sojourn"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:57 PM   #109
Senior Member
 
City: Florida
Vessel Name: Mersea
Vessel Model: Marquis 59
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 202
Insurance is not an investment, it is a risk management expense.


Do I buy insurance on a cell phone? No. If I lose or break the phone I can replace it without any impact to my overall financial situation. For some people replacing an iPhone would be very difficult on their budget.


It is a free market - purchasers make their own decisions.


Is life insurance a good thing? For a household that has a single earner term insurance may be a valuable tool in making sure that spouse and kids are able to maintain some form of standard of living they are accustom to. For someone older, has accumulated some amount of wealth - may not be worth the investment.


My point is - insurance is an option to mitigate your risk. An individuals tolerance for risk is specific to their decision. It is not globally right or wrong.


Those examples are all mitigating the risk of an asset or income stream disappearing.


The next level down is liability. Not sure, but it seems that most states require a car owner to at least have liability. A person can afford a car, but they may not be able to afford the damage they do to other people or their property.


I am in general anti-regulatory - but in this case - I agree with the requirement of liability insurance on cars.


Are boats different? Someone may be able to afford a boat, but does that mean they can afford to pay for damages they might cause.


I struggle with why not buy insurance for a boat. Currently heavy into boat shopping. Hope to be under contract in the next couple of weeks. Along the way I have visited with a marine insurance broker about different boats and costs.


What I have seen on quotes - .5 % or less - for full agreed to value coverage (yacht policy which includes environmental). The dollars saved versus mitigating risk, I just can envision not buying insurance.


Just my thoughts
FootballFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:57 PM   #110
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 24,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty477 View Post
I worked for an oil and chemical clean up company as well and during the short time I was there I saw many fines levied both on land and in the water. Some spills were quite large but we also had our share of smaller land based spills where we were brought in by the EPA to limit the affects.
Even that long ago there were reasonably high fines for smaller spills - this is in the New York and NJ areas.
Goes to show you that there are extremes in many things experienced here.

Thete was always talk of fines by local bueracrats, tv people, etc...but seldom did I see it come to pass, especially on the water as it was almost always so spread out by the time we got there, cleanup was almost impossible.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:14 PM   #111
Guru
 
City: Northport
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Goes to show you that there are extremes in many things experienced here.

Thete was always talk of fines by local bueracrats, tv people, etc...but seldom did I see it come to pass, especially on the water as it was almost always so spread out by the time we got there, cleanup was almost impossible.

We had two converted LCM's that could skim fluids & oils off of the water and a dozen or so vacuum trucks that had a capacity of 6,000 gals each - but that was quite some time ago.
I believe the reported spill count was over 25,000 cases for 2016 alone last time I visited Stonybrook U. DEPA office early his year. You can actually go there nd look up the individual spill that you might be interested in and/or look up an area to see if it is spill free on the reports. Last I was there you do not even need to file a freedom of information act form , wait the 3 days or pay the fee - its all there for free if you have the time.
Most people do not realize how many fines have been imposed over the years....
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:49 PM   #112
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty477 View Post
............. Most people do not realize how many fines have been imposed over the years....
The EPA is brutal and there's little you can do to fight them.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:01 PM   #113
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 24,003
EPA and state environmental organizations are way diffetent.

Again, I will say the pollution from most smallet vessels is almost impossible to clean uo.

And there are plenty of sources to verify that.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:01 PM   #114
Guru
 
Seevee's Avatar
 
City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 2,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty477 View Post
Obama care is a tax not insurance - so apples and oranges.
Smitty,

You're probably right, but I'd call it a penalty if you don't have it, but you still get your medical bills paid, regardless. But the premium is staggering compared to several years ago.
__________________
Seevee
Seevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:10 PM   #115
Guru
 
Seevee's Avatar
 
City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 2,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballFan View Post
Insurance is not an investment, it is a risk management expense.


Do I buy insurance on a cell phone? No. If I lose or break the phone I can replace it without any impact to my overall financial situation. For some people replacing an iPhone would be very difficult on their budget.


It is a free market - purchasers make their own decisions.


Is life insurance a good thing? For a household that has a single earner term insurance may be a valuable tool in making sure that spouse and kids are able to maintain some form of standard of living they are accustom to. For someone older, has accumulated some amount of wealth - may not be worth the investment.


My point is - insurance is an option to mitigate your risk. An individuals tolerance for risk is specific to their decision. It is not globally right or wrong.


Those examples are all mitigating the risk of an asset or income stream disappearing.


The next level down is liability. Not sure, but it seems that most states require a car owner to at least have liability. A person can afford a car, but they may not be able to afford the damage they do to other people or their property.


I am in general anti-regulatory - but in this case - I agree with the requirement of liability insurance on cars.


Are boats different? Someone may be able to afford a boat, but does that mean they can afford to pay for damages they might cause.


I struggle with why not buy insurance for a boat. Currently heavy into boat shopping. Hope to be under contract in the next couple of weeks. Along the way I have visited with a marine insurance broker about different boats and costs.


What I have seen on quotes - .5 % or less - for full agreed to value coverage (yacht policy which includes environmental). The dollars saved versus mitigating risk, I just can envision not buying insurance.


Just my thoughts
Football

Good post and a lot to think about. Insurance is really an individual decision depending on the needs/risk of the individual.

There's lot's of risky things that folks don't by insurance for besides boats. Hull or liability. And with liability there's still some risk that most don't insure for, like hitting a load of tourists and their kids and the damages hits 50 million.... or terrorism, or intentional acts, or slander, etc..... Now, most of us can avoid the bulk of these risky things, but they are still there.

With your .5%... suspect that's a typo and you can invasion buying insurance. That's pretty cheap if you have some risk to protect.
__________________
Seevee
Seevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:15 PM   #116
Guru
 
Seevee's Avatar
 
City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 2,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
Just because the average policy holder loses, does not preclude it from being an investment. You get a return on your dollar if your dollar if you make a successful claim. You may make a profit if your claim is more than your total insurance premiums.
When buying hull insurance, it is like selling short. You win something if your boat value goes down.

AusCan,
One will RARELY make a profit on a policy... it's clearly not and investment. It's an expense just like other expenses. You get benefit from all of them but they do NOT make you money.
__________________
Seevee
Seevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:35 PM   #117
Scraping Paint
 
City: CT
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 963
I don't know why y'all are acting as if fines have a relationship to the chances the spill can get cleaned up.

The ones where it's too late should be fined more not less.

It's a punishment in lieu of jail time, to deter it from happening.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:11 PM   #118
Senior Member
 
City: Florida
Vessel Name: Mersea
Vessel Model: Marquis 59
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Football

Good post and a lot to think about. Insurance is really an individual decision depending on the needs/risk of the individual.

There's lot's of risky things that folks don't by insurance for besides boats. Hull or liability. And with liability there's still some risk that most don't insure for, like hitting a load of tourists and their kids and the damages hits 50 million.... or terrorism, or intentional acts, or slander, etc..... Now, most of us can avoid the bulk of these risky things, but they are still there.

With your .5%... suspect that's a typo and you can invasion buying insurance. That's pretty cheap if you have some risk to protect.
Not a typo. Before I posted - pulled out the calculator and checked. Just rechecked.

Compared to the numbers that were on my previous boat - comparable to what I am seeing now.

Will stand on the .5% of agreed value.

Full disclosure on my situation and quotes:

Full coverage, yacht policy with environmental + tender.

Absentee owner - live in TX, boat on the Atlantic. File a hurricane plan with a local to the boat licensed captain which owns execution of hurricane plan.

5 % deductible normal. If the boat is north of Cape Hatteras during hurricane season. South of Cape Hatteras during season, 30% deductible.

Pricing is consistent calculated from agreed to value with what I paid on previous boat and quotes for next boat.

These are my numbers. With the numbers I am presented with - it is a no brainer to pay the expense.

Not making any generalizations, just stating my decision criteria.
FootballFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:20 PM   #119
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 19,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballFan View Post
Will stand on the .5% of agreed value.

.
Much varies on age and value of boat. I've seen $20+ million boats insured for 0.3%.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:23 PM   #120
Guru
 
Seevee's Avatar
 
City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 2,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballFan View Post
Not a typo. Before I posted - pulled out the calculator and checked. Just rechecked.

Compared to the numbers that were on my previous boat - comparable to what I am seeing now.

Will stand on the .5% of agreed value.

Full disclosure on my situation and quotes:

Full coverage, yacht policy with environmental + tender.

Absentee owner - live in TX, boat on the Atlantic. File a hurricane plan with a local to the boat licensed captain which owns execution of hurricane plan.

5 % deductible normal. If the boat is north of Cape Hatteras during hurricane season. South of Cape Hatteras during season, 30% deductible.

Pricing is consistent calculated from agreed to value with what I paid on previous boat and quotes for next boat.

These are my numbers. With the numbers I am presented with - it is a no brainer to pay the expense.

Not making any generalizations, just stating my decision criteria.
You're original post said you would not consider buying insurance with .5% premium of hull value. I can understand, but that's pretty cheap, but I have no issue with going bear.
__________________
Seevee
Seevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012