Old 02-12-2020, 09:19 PM   #41
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoub View Post
Anybody ever have a similar experience with a 3rd part filling a claim on their policy?..... It is impossible to get a hold of anyone in the organization that can tell me why they would not contact me before paying off and closing the claim. Should I look for a new insurance company?
The above is the essence of the OP`s concern for which he sought advice. Now he is compared to a "hit and run " car driver, with other uncomplimentary comment and inference.
I`ll just say, it seems wrong and, "could have been approached differently".
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:42 PM   #42
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
The above is the essence of the OP`s concern for which he sought advice. Now he is compared to a "hit and run " car driver, with other uncomplimentary comment and inference.
I`ll just say, it seems wrong and, "could have been approached differently".
Had he touched the anchor (not even the boat per his post) of an honest man, none of this would be in discussion. I know that if my car door swings into another's car and I can find no evidence of damage I am not going to report it to anybody. This just seem similar. Sadly, he gave a dishonest man an inch and the scoundrel took a mile.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:43 PM   #43
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
Had he touched the anchor (not even the boat per his post) of an honest man, none of this would be in discussion. I know that if my car door swings into another's car and I can find no evidence of damage I am not going to report it to anybody. This just seem similar. Sadly, he gave a dishonest man an inch and the scoundrel took a mile.
Good observations but I should have been clearer, I am concerned about the attack on the OP over his perfectly reasonable concerns about how his insurer handled things. Which is the issue he took to his fellow TF members, now subverted into something else.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:57 PM   #44
Guru

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: 1978 Hatteras 53MY
You all crack me up. Everyone's a lawyer.
Old 02-13-2020, 12:17 AM   #45
Guru

Thanks Oscar. Fortunately not everyone but true, it invades your life. Best of luck with the next boat.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:47 AM   #46
Guru

Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Good observations but I should have been clearer, I am concerned about the attack on the OP over his perfectly reasonable concerns about how his insurer handled things. Which is the issue he took to his fellow TF members, now subverted into something else.
Yes,yes, I think we are traveling parallel paths here.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:47 AM   #47
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar View Post
You all crack me up. Everyone's a lawyer.
I know. I sooo missed my calling.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:18 AM   #48
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Quote:
So if someone hits your boat and does not leave a note or report it to the marina staff, you will be OK with that?

I've had unknown boats hit my boat causing minor gel coat scratches and crazing, which is really hard to see. No note was left. If I did not know how to repair gel coat, the repair would have to be hired out.

A friend's anchor was hit by unknown boat, no note. He saw gel coat smear on anchor. The strike bent the shaft on the bow roller, which he did not discover until summer when attempting to drop anchor. The shaft and roller had to be cut off since the bent shaft would no longer slide out. He had to travel a distance to a service facility for repair and wait four days for a new roller.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 01:23 PM   #49
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Time to get insurance with a proper independent agent that can lead you to a good company that pays when required and look for a new slip further from that cheat.
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 02:17 PM   #50
Veteran Member

City: Lake Havasu city
Vessel Name: DOS MAS
Vessel Model: Ocean 50 mk1
Always take pictures ! no body no crime.
Rich wilmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 02:30 PM   #51
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooksie View Post
Time to get insurance with a proper independent agent that can lead you to a good company that pays when required and look for a new slip further from that cheat.
Yes, because this one was so horrible in that they paid the claim. Wow. How disgraceful. Insurer pays claim. Time to shut them down.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 03:14 PM   #52
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Wasn’t this essentially a hit and run? Irregardless of the struck vessel being a neighbor, he was hit and the offender did not leave any contact or insurance information and instead just took off. Sounds like hit and run to me: the OP is lucky not to have been prosecuted.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 03:17 PM   #53

City: Bella Bella
Vessel Name: Tenacious
Vessel Model: Uniflite 31 FB Sedan
It seems all over that some people want to criticize content, intent, choice of words, or even the temerity of one posting something they aren't interested in. It's a primal competitive instinct we ought to evolve away from. Intent here is for a cooperative community. Nonetheless, Djoub's concerns are moot. The insurers assume his liability and as long as the claimant is satisfied, up to the coverage limit, they have no mandate to get his say-so or even tell him about it. Good customer service ought to have explained this though, instead of ignoring his inquiry. Apparently they were able to ascertain that a collision did occur, and a $5k claim is peanuts, peanut shells, to them. It is usual for the 3rd party to file directly with the insurer, and its usual for the insurer to pay liability claims of this amount without dispute, and without consulting the insured unless there is something they want to know. I had a similar experience, small damage done to my boat while being towed. I worked for a boatyard, did the repair on my regular hours and wage, paid the deductible to the yard, the yard billed the insurer. I know for a fact that they doubled the bill, nobody cared but me and I guess that's just because they didn't double my pay...
Old 02-17-2020, 03:19 PM   #54
Veteran Member

City: Savannah
Vessel Name: Sweet Lu
Vessel Model: Marine Trader sundeck
I have Geico/Boat US insurance. My first thought was wow, glad to hear Geico pays claims quickly and without a lot of drama.
TWedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 03:35 PM   #55
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWedd View Post
I have Geico/Boat us insurance. My first thought was wow, glad to hear Geico pays claims quickly and without a lot of drama.
Boat US has always been very good about settling claims quickly and fairly.

There was a fire at my Yacht Club a few years ago with 6 boats totally destroyed or sunk and many more damaged. Owners with Boat US had a check in their hand within 5 days and the rest took a week to over a month to be paid.

I've been with Boat US for over 25 years and would never insure a boat with anybody else.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 05:49 PM   #56

City: Punta Gorda, FL
The lesson here is - report any incident which may possibly involve either damage or injury to your insurance carrier. Fore warned, is fore armed.
Your dock neighbor did everything he should, contacted the authorities, who interviewed witnesses, who confirmed ‘something’ happened. And the neighbor either sent photo evidence and/or got an estimate from the marina. The carrier may have sent an adjuster or surveyor.
In these situations carriers many times don’t involve their insured as it can become a ‘He said/he said’ situation.
Big carriers like Boat US have guidelines for premium increases based on loss experience; I’d advise sticking with them.
jgrossenbacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 05:56 PM   #57

City: Camden, Maine
Vessel Name: Willie Dawes
Vessel Model: Newburyport 37
I would be pissed too if someone hit my boat and I didn’t find out about it for a month.
Capt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 06:31 PM   #58
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
No offense to the op, but if someone hit my boat hard enough to bend to anchor there would be more then 5k worth of damage, to the untrained eye you would have no way of assessing the damage, especially with a fiberglass boat, I would be pissed too if someone told me it was no big deal that they hit my boat and then on top of that told me there was no damage!
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 05:18 PM   #59

City: Palo Alto
Vessel Name: Ann-Elyse II
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Did you contact your insurance at the time of the accident? Did you take photos?

This is a reminder to notify your insurer anytime there's an incident and to always take photos. Then follow up.

Now, unfortunately, what they choose to pay on their own is not something you have control over. $5000 is a very small amount to them on a boat claim and a quick and easy settlement. They may have been defrauded. You haven't been.

Had you been told their plans of paying $5000, then what would you have done? Not really anything you could have. Had you talked your insurer out of paying then the other boat owner could have come after you for payment.

Insurers overpay small claims every day. No, you shouldn't look for a new insurance companies. You should be thankful you have one who resolves claims against you with no problem even if you feel they overpay. None of us were there to see the damage they were shown. Neither were you, for that matter. However, it'd done, it's over, and you hit another boat and incurred no cost.
Agreed!

I did the same thing. The assistant harbor master saw me do it. I asked him if there was any damage to the other boat and he said "no, don't worry about it". So I buffed out the marks on my hull and never filed a claim or talked to the other boat owner. If the assistant harbor master hadn't seen it happen I would have left a message on the other boat.

It's a shame that the other boater took advantage of you being an honest person doing the right thing.

I really hate docking!
Old 02-18-2020, 08:48 PM   #60

City: Drummond Island, MI
Vessel Name: Terrapin
Vessel Model: Florida Bay Coaster 42'
This whole thread is bogus
timb7734 is offline   Reply With Quote