Insurance Nightmare - BoatUS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No one is mentioning the other party that was hit and his perspective.

Sure he may or may not be a scammer, but he was still hit.

Place yourself in that position. You get hit, the other guy says nothing. Insurance has no report.

I related a story in post 14 where my car was hit and the other guy makes no report to his insurance and the insurance can not contact him. I was grateful that the insurance company settled the claim without waiting for the other party to surface.

Boat US has a program where for every year that I am claim free, they reduce the deductible by 10%.

At the end of 10 years with no claims, the deductible is 0%

The OP is back to full deductible.

There are accident free programs as you describe but there was an accident in this case. None of us know the true extent of the damages. There are those saying things about seeing the repair bills, but there is no obligation to even get it repaired. The insurer settled it and did so in their best judgement based on the information they had. I trust their judgement in this case.

As to the extent of damages, none of us know for sure. I remember when car frames were more easily "warped", especially certain brands, my mother was run into the back of by a lady driving an older Ford Station Wagon. My mother's car only had bumper damage so the repair was a new bumper. The station wagon at first glance only appeared to have scratches on it's bumper. It was totaled.

He admitted hitting the other boat so some minor damage, just not what they paid. So, if insurance goes up it's the result of him hitting the boat, not the amount of the claim. He wasn't going to be claims free regardless.

If he does have higher premiums and the insurer tells him it's because of the $5000 claim, then he can sue the other boat owner for damages, but unless or until that all happens, he has no recourse and no position.

At this point, he's incurred no damage. At the time he does, he can sue if he can prove the damage.

Now, let's assume based on the information we have from only one party that the insurer paid too much, was taken advantage of. Had the insurer refused to pay, then he might have incurred real damage when the other boat owner came after him. There was no police report, no coast guard report, no dialogue at the time of the accident.

The OP did nothing to resolve this in advance. Just left a note. If there was no damage to the other boat then why leave a note and his insurance information? By providing insurance information, he encouraged the other party to contact his insurer. He apparently didn't do so himself so they only had the other party's statements to go on. Had he contacted them in advance and told them there was no damage and he had witnesses, then he would have more reason to complain.

I cannot fault Geico in this situation. Customer gives third party his insurance information after hitting his boat. Third party contacts Geico. Geico settles small claim.

I would not have given my insurance information, and if there was no damage I would not have left a note either, based on the report that he contacted the others anchor only.

Even if there was some damage I still would not have provided insurance information as I might just choose to pay for the damages out of pocket. We have a legal obligation to make someone whole that we damage. We do not have an obligation to use our insurance company to do that.

I agree, his insurance company did the right thing with the information they had at the time.

Boat US has a program where for every year that I am claim free, they reduce the deductible by 10%.

At the end of 10 years with no claims, the deductible is 0%

The OP is back to full deductible.

The OP May be back to full deductible or may not. Worth checking with Geico / BoatUS
I had a somewhat similar RV insurance claim... other driver hit me but later claimed I hit him. Insurance paid my damages under collision but when questioned that said it was categorized as a no fault claim and would not affect my claims record as they knew the other person was lying but couldn't prove it and easier to pay it and forget it.

Insurance contract provisions that entitle the insurer to pay claims under a policy without reference to an oblivious insured for possibly non existent occurrences while standing blindfolded on their corporate head in the shower whistling Dixie, are just butt covers for insurer stupidity. An insurer should never open a claim under a policy not initiated by the insured without at least trying to contact the insured.

Sounds like the thing to have done in this particular case is what has already been suggested in the way of photos, witness statements, and sending all to the insurance company as clear evidence that NO damage was done to the other boat PLUS DO NOT leave the other owner ANY information whatsoever. Geez.

Yup because the scammer would have gotten a "done deal" via the insurance line of communication, too late to do the ripoff. AND/OR you tell him after you have the all clear from insurance. Remember, I am assuming that NO damage was done to the scammer's boat as per the PO, so it would be OK to not leave a note.

Last edited:
Yup because the scammer would have gotten a "done deal" via the insurance line of communication, too late to do the ripoff. AND/OR you tell him after you have the all clear from insurance. Remember, I am assuming that NO damage was done to the scammer's boat as per the PO, so it would be OK to not leave a note.

That's the dilemma. No damage per PO.

If he did not get on the other boat how does he know that.

His word against the so called "scammer".

He waited a month before informing the other boatowner. Does'nt elaborate when the marina staff examined the boat.

He hits other boat, suffers the consequences for not informing marina staff, Boat US and other boats owner immediately.

I've witnessed boats hit other unoccupied docked boats and slink away hoping no witnesses.

In a car, it's called hit and run.

Last edited:
OK, since a car accident was already used. I had a car accident that would be argued was not my fault, heading to court.
Lawyer for insurance comes to me and says we settled out of court, I was dumbfounded but before I could say anything he said I would not have a claim on my file, insurance will not be affected. They paid whatever but I never saw an increase. Turned out the other party had a father who was a lawyer and they saw a lengthy trial, so threw in the towel. But they never asked me for an opinion.

Anybody ever have a similar experience with a 3rd part filling a claim on their policy?..... It is impossible to get a hold of anyone in the organization that can tell me why they would not contact me before paying off and closing the claim. Should I look for a new insurance company?
The above is the essence of the OP`s concern for which he sought advice. Now he is compared to a "hit and run " car driver, with other uncomplimentary comment and inference.
I`ll just say, it seems wrong and, "could have been approached differently".

The above is the essence of the OP`s concern for which he sought advice. Now he is compared to a "hit and run " car driver, with other uncomplimentary comment and inference.
I`ll just say, it seems wrong and, "could have been approached differently".

Had he touched the anchor (not even the boat per his post) of an honest man, none of this would be in discussion. I know that if my car door swings into another's car and I can find no evidence of damage I am not going to report it to anybody. This just seem similar. Sadly, he gave a dishonest man an inch and the scoundrel took a mile.

Had he touched the anchor (not even the boat per his post) of an honest man, none of this would be in discussion. I know that if my car door swings into another's car and I can find no evidence of damage I am not going to report it to anybody. This just seem similar. Sadly, he gave a dishonest man an inch and the scoundrel took a mile.
Good observations but I should have been clearer, I am concerned about the attack on the OP over his perfectly reasonable concerns about how his insurer handled things. Which is the issue he took to his fellow TF members, now subverted into something else.

Thanks Oscar. Fortunately not everyone but true, it invades your life. Best of luck with the next boat.

Good observations but I should have been clearer, I am concerned about the attack on the OP over his perfectly reasonable concerns about how his insurer handled things. Which is the issue he took to his fellow TF members, now subverted into something else.

Yes,yes, I think we are traveling parallel paths here.

So if someone hits your boat and does not leave a note or report it to the marina staff, you will be OK with that?

I've had unknown boats hit my boat causing minor gel coat scratches and crazing, which is really hard to see. No note was left. If I did not know how to repair gel coat, the repair would have to be hired out.

A friend's anchor was hit by unknown boat, no note. He saw gel coat smear on anchor. The strike bent the shaft on the bow roller, which he did not discover until summer when attempting to drop anchor. The shaft and roller had to be cut off since the bent shaft would no longer slide out. He had to travel a distance to a service facility for repair and wait four days for a new roller.

Time to get insurance with a proper independent agent that can lead you to a good company that pays when required and look for a new slip further from that cheat.

Time to get insurance with a proper independent agent that can lead you to a good company that pays when required and look for a new slip further from that cheat.

Yes, because this one was so horrible in that they paid the claim. Wow. How disgraceful. Insurer pays claim. Time to shut them down.

Wasn’t this essentially a hit and run? Irregardless of the struck vessel being a neighbor, he was hit and the offender did not leave any contact or insurance information and instead just took off. Sounds like hit and run to me: the OP is lucky not to have been prosecuted.

It seems all over that some people want to criticize content, intent, choice of words, or even the temerity of one posting something they aren't interested in. It's a primal competitive instinct we ought to evolve away from. Intent here is for a cooperative community. Nonetheless, Djoub's concerns are moot. The insurers assume his liability and as long as the claimant is satisfied, up to the coverage limit, they have no mandate to get his say-so or even tell him about it. Good customer service ought to have explained this though, instead of ignoring his inquiry. Apparently they were able to ascertain that a collision did occur, and a $5k claim is peanuts, peanut shells, to them. It is usual for the 3rd party to file directly with the insurer, and its usual for the insurer to pay liability claims of this amount without dispute, and without consulting the insured unless there is something they want to know. I had a similar experience, small damage done to my boat while being towed. I worked for a boatyard, did the repair on my regular hours and wage, paid the deductible to the yard, the yard billed the insurer. I know for a fact that they doubled the bill, nobody cared but me and I guess that's just because they didn't double my pay...

I have Geico/Boat US insurance. My first thought was wow, glad to hear Geico pays claims quickly and without a lot of drama.

Last edited:
I have Geico/Boat us insurance. My first thought was wow, glad to hear Geico pays claims quickly and without a lot of drama.

Boat US has always been very good about settling claims quickly and fairly.

There was a fire at my Yacht Club a few years ago with 6 boats totally destroyed or sunk and many more damaged. Owners with Boat US had a check in their hand within 5 days and the rest took a week to over a month to be paid.

I've been with Boat US for over 25 years and would never insure a boat with anybody else.

The lesson here is - report any incident which may possibly involve either damage or injury to your insurance carrier. Fore warned, is fore armed.
Your dock neighbor did everything he should, contacted the authorities, who interviewed witnesses, who confirmed ‘something’ happened. And the neighbor either sent photo evidence and/or got an estimate from the marina. The carrier may have sent an adjuster or surveyor.
In these situations carriers many times don’t involve their insured as it can become a ‘He said/he said’ situation.
Big carriers like Boat US have guidelines for premium increases based on loss experience; I’d advise sticking with them.

I would be pissed too if someone hit my boat and I didn’t find out about it for a month.

No offense to the op, but if someone hit my boat hard enough to bend to anchor there would be more then 5k worth of damage, to the untrained eye you would have no way of assessing the damage, especially with a fiberglass boat, I would be pissed too if someone told me it was no big deal that they hit my boat and then on top of that told me there was no damage!

Did you contact your insurance at the time of the accident? Did you take photos?

This is a reminder to notify your insurer anytime there's an incident and to always take photos. Then follow up.

Now, unfortunately, what they choose to pay on their own is not something you have control over. $5000 is a very small amount to them on a boat claim and a quick and easy settlement. They may have been defrauded. You haven't been.

Had you been told their plans of paying $5000, then what would you have done? Not really anything you could have. Had you talked your insurer out of paying then the other boat owner could have come after you for payment.

Insurers overpay small claims every day. No, you shouldn't look for a new insurance companies. You should be thankful you have one who resolves claims against you with no problem even if you feel they overpay. None of us were there to see the damage they were shown. Neither were you, for that matter. However, it'd done, it's over, and you hit another boat and incurred no cost.

Agreed!

I did the same thing. The assistant harbor master saw me do it. I asked him if there was any damage to the other boat and he said "no, don't worry about it". So I buffed out the marks on my hull and never filed a claim or talked to the other boat owner. If the assistant harbor master hadn't seen it happen I would have left a message on the other boat.

It's a shame that the other boater took advantage of you being an honest person doing the right thing.

I really hate docking!

This whole thread is bogus

Back
Top Bottom