Old 03-28-2019, 07:04 AM   #21
Guru

City: Reedville, VA
Vessel Name: Wingspan
Vessel Model: Aluminum Catamaran
A 29' boat is not an unreasonable starter boat. I started with a 30' and was told "no" by one or two carriers. That got me very nervous. I called a broker (as someone suggested above) and they found me a policy. After I had a couple years experience with no losses, I changed carriers to someone who gave a better quote based on my past two years experience.

The suggested broker above sounds like a good option, I think I used IMIS - I'm just passing them along so you have a couple choices.

https://www.gowrie.com/Marine-Insurance/IMIS.aspx
Bkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:07 AM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Oak Ridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkay View Post
A 29' boat is not an unreasonable starter boat. I started with a 30' and was told "no" by one or two carriers. That got me very nervous. I called a broker (as someone suggested above) and they found me a policy. After I had a couple years experience with no losses, I changed carriers to someone who gave a better quote based on my past two years experience.

The suggested broker above sounds like a good option, I think I used IMIS - I'm just passing them along so you have a couple choices.

https://www.gowrie.com/Marine-Insurance/IMIS.aspx

Many many thanks Bkay! I am very nervous indeed and will definitely pursue this route today. Dreams hinge in this and I guess what will be will be.
KarinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:08 AM   #23
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarinH View Post
Thanks for this perspective Pau Hana - I am willing to pay a premium for my lack of experience. Imagine insurance refused to cover 16 yr olds in new cars because they lacked 3 yrs experience and never owned a car before...Anyway maybe I will find an insurer willing to insure us today - otherwise my boat dream is dead in the water. No insurance no boat.
16 year old drivers must pass a state approved drivers course before taking the written and practical tests to obtain a drivers license. When they become licensed, there are heavy restrictions on when they can be on the road. With a boat, there is not standardized vetting/training program- stroke the check and go boating.

That said- don’t become despondent!
First, realize that insurance carriers are not automatically looking for reasons to not offer coverage- so give them a reason to say yes:
  • Arrange for some skippered training with the dealer
  • Obtain the state boating card if required in your state
  • Schedule US Power Squadron and/or USCG classes and training
  • If you have a family member or close friend that has good experience, put them on the policy as an operator. This way, you have an experienced operator on the policy.

PM me if you need further assistance.

Pete

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:13 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
16 year old drivers must pass a state approved drivers course before taking the written and practical tests to obtain a drivers license. When they become licensed, there are heavy restrictions on when they can be on the road. With a boat, there is not standardized vetting/training program- stroke the check and go boating.

That said- don’t become despondent!

First, realize that insurance carriers are not automatically looking for reasons to not offer coverage- so give them a reason to say yes:
  • Arrange for some skippered training with the dealer
  • Obtain the state boating card if required in your state
  • Schedule US Power Squadron and/or USCG classes and training
  • If you have a family member or close friend that has good experience, put them on the policy as an operator. This way, you have an experienced operator on the policy.

PM me if you need further assistance.

Pete

Brilliant ideas many many thanks! Will surely drop you a message should I have more questions. Thanks for offering to assist.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:58 AM   #25

City: Punta Gorda
Quote:
So here’s a conundrum. I am hoping to purchase a small trawler. I am brand-new to boating. I did a boating course through Chapman’s and will be under the watchful eye of a captain for the next 6 months until I am comfortable with the boat and handling it. So I contact BoatsUS/Geiko for an insurance quote as I want to get a clear view of my projected expenses. After talking to customer care I get informed that I do not qualify for any insurance coverage through them because I have never owned a boat and do not have 3 yrs experience.
What to do??? I do not want to risk no insurance? Any advice or suggestions?
Karen,
Go to The TugNuts • Home, at the bottom of the screen will be a link to Global Insurance https://www.globalmarineinsurance.com/ I think they are somehow affiliated with Ranger and check with them Hope this helps
Best,
Keith
Old 03-28-2019, 09:05 AM   #26
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
*]If you have a family member or close friend that has good experience, put them on the policy as an operator. This way, you have an experienced operator on the policy.
How often an "operator"?

In another insurance thread, truthfulness was emphasised.

Does not the above comment lead to misunderstanding if not encourage playing loose with the truth?

If said close friend is listed as an operator, is there required a minimum number of trips with that operator aboard? Would a policy spell that out without asking?

That seems like an open gate for claim denial when uncle Bob does not accompany me to the fuel dock when everything turns to billowing black smoke and an oil slick.
soin2la is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:06 AM   #27
Guru

Edit...
Oops, sorry, double posted.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:10 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soin2la View Post
How often an "operator"?

Does not the above comment lead to misunderstanding if not encourage playing loose with the truth?

If said close friend is listed as an operator, is there required a minimum number of trips with that operator aboard? Would a policy spell that out without asking?

That seems like an open gate for claim denial when uncle Bob does not accompany me to the fuel dock when everything turns to billowing black smoke and an oil slick.

Hi - thanks for your comment, in my case I have the opportunity to be trained hands-on by previous boat owner. The boat will remain in his slip - so I guess I could foresee for the next 6 mnths not going anywhere without him on board. But longer won’t be feasible - so yes it might be an issue to think about. Thanks for pointing it out, I will ask the insurance broker about it.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:18 AM   #29
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by soin2la View Post
How often an "operator"?

That seems like an open gate for claim denial when uncle Bob does not accompany me to the fuel dock and everything turns to billowing black smoke and an oil slick.
Good question.

Note that I mentioned an "experienced operator" and not a "warranted/named operator".

The difference is that the warranted/named operator is required to be on the vessel in command anytime the vessel is underway. The experienced operator on the policy does not need to be on the vessel at all times while the vessel is underway.

Semantics- yes (legally speaking). As an underwriter, if the agent reports that the new owner has an experienced operator for training on the policy, in conjunction with an initial training program with the dealer, I have no problem offering coverage.

It's the lack of information that puts a damper on things.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:20 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Quote:
Good question.

Note that I mentioned an "experienced operator" and not a "warranted/named operator".

The difference is that the warranted/named operator is required to be on the vessel in command anytime the vessel is underway. The experienced operator on the policy does not need to be on the vessel at all times while the vessel is underway.

Semantics- yes (legally speaking). As an underwriter, if the agent reports that the new owner has an experienced operator for training on the policy, in conjunction with an initial training program with the dealer, I have no problem offering coverage.

Thanks for this clarification!! Very useful. I am carefully optimistic at this point. Will keep you posted.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:39 AM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Good question.

Semantics- yes (legally speaking).

Thank you Pete, that is why I asked the question.

I believe, in many cases, Achilles heel is spelled v-a-g-u-e.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:02 AM   #32

City: Kenosha, WI
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Hershine 37
Gieco owns BoatUS who tows and salvages thousands of cases each year some of which become claims. Their database gives them good insight into how experience effects risk. Boats are very different than cars. Right now you don’t know what you don’t know and I’m sure it is surprising to be refused. Once you get insurance and you will, on a windy day when the kids are tired and the wife wants to go home and the dog has to go, and you are in a hurry to dock, the difference will become a bit clearer to you. I used to own a tow boat business and during the recession the case load really reduced as less new boaters entered the market. Learn and practice with your captain once you get your boat. I’m sure you will love boating too! Good luck.
Greatlaker221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 11:05 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatlaker221 View Post
Gieco owns BoatUS who tows and salvages thousands of cases each year some of which become claims. Their database gives them good insight into how experience effects risk. Boats are very different than cars. Right now you don’t know what you don’t know and I’m sure it is surprising to be refused. Once you get insurance and you will, on a windy day when the kids are tired and the wife wants to go home and the dog has to go, and you are in a hurry to dock, the difference will become a bit clearer to you. I used to own a tow boat business and during the recession the case load really reduced as less new boaters entered the market. Learn and practice with your captain once you get your boat. I’m sure you will love boating too! Good luck.

Absolutely will practice with the captain Greatlaker would hate to be a statistic. And you are right I don’t know what I don’t know, so it does feel a little like fools go where angels fear to tred! Many thanks for your best wishes - I need them:-)
Old 03-28-2019, 11:17 AM   #34

City: Sassafras River, Maryland
Vessel Name: Seventh Sojourn
Vessel Model: Mainship 400
Quote:
Thanks for this clarification!! Very useful. I am carefully optimistic at this point. Will keep you posted.
Karin, I am a long-time insurance agent with a major national company which is more known for auto and homeowner insurance. We do also insure boats, but since insurance rules and rates vary by state, I am not certain about the rules where you live. However, in Pennsylvania, where I am located, we would be able to insure that boat with no problem, even with no experience.

I think that insurance companies that do NOT specialize in boat insurance tend to be more lax in their underwriting. The downside is that they don't know as much about boat insurance but if you can't find it anywhere else, try the majors like Allstate, State Farm, Nationwide, etc.

My policy is with Chubb and it has superior coverage to any other policy I have seen, but that is not who I work for so I am not trying to sell you on any particular company, just offering suggestions.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most. E.B. White
garmstro55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 11:20 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmstro55 View Post
Karin, I am a long-time insurance agent with a major national company which is more known for auto and homeowner insurance. We do also insure boats, but since insurance rules and rates vary by state, I am not certain about the rules where you live. However, in Pennsylvania, where I am located, we would be able to insure that boat with no problem, even with no experience.

I think that insurance companies that do NOT specialize in boat insurance tend to be more lax in their underwriting. The downside is that they don't know as much about boat insurance but if you can't find it anywhere else, try the majors like Allstate, State Farm, Nationwide, etc.

My policy is with Chubb and it has superior coverage to any other policy I have seen, but that is not who I work for so I am not trying to sell you on any particular company, just offering suggestions.

Many thanks Garmstro55 - I appreciate all suggestions. I will surely speak to CHUBB as well. Much appreciated.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:50 PM   #36

City: Indianapolis
Vessel Name: MV La Vita Dolce
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 40 LRC
We just switched our insurance to a Geico policy through the agent for the Marine Trawler Owners Association, Jon Horton at Jack Martin and Associates, Annapolis, MD, 866 206 8821.
Our policy was almost 1K cheaper than the quote for a Geico policy through BoatUS, and did not have the horrendous 80% depreciation on partial loss that the BoatUS policy had.
The cost for an MTOA membrrship is minimal, but see if they can help you with a policy first.
As noted above, you may want to present the boat as being operated by a licenced training captain for some period of time, while you are also taking any classes available in your area.
Good luch with insurancevand with the new boat.
Welcome aboard. JohnS
JohnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:14 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS View Post
We just switched our insurance to a Geico policy through the agent for the Marine Trawler Owners Association, Jon Horton at Jack Martin and Associates, Annapolis, MD, 866 206 8821.

Our policy was almost 1K cheaper than the quote for a Geico policy through BoatUS, and did not have the horrendous 80% depreciation on partial loss that the BoatUS policy had.

The cost for an MTOA membrrship is minimal, but see if they can help you with a policy first.

As noted above, you may want to present the boat as being operated by a licenced training captain for some period of time, while you are also taking any classes available in your area.

Good luch with insurancevand with the new boat.

Welcome aboard. JohnS

Many thanks JohnS I will definitely also investigate this option. I remain hopeful.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:15 PM   #38
Veteran Member

UPDATE: Dear all, many thanks for your kind words of advice and encouragement. I have made contact with Global Marine and thus far they have been awesome. I received a quote from them and it seems like “my” little tug might go a chuggin’ sometime soon. Thanks again and see you on the ICW.
Old 03-29-2019, 06:56 PM   #39
Veteran Member

City: Lenoir City, TN / Fort Loudon Marina
Vessel Name: Perfect Match
Vessel Model: Mainship 40 Sedan Bridge
Quote:
UPDATE: Dear all, many thanks for your kind words of advice and encouragement. I have made contact with Global Marine and thus far they have been awesome. I received a quote from them and it seems like “my” little tug might go a chuggin’ sometime soon. Thanks again and see you on the ICW.
Great news. Glad you found something.
Old 03-29-2019, 06:58 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleGGG View Post
Great news. Glad you found something.

Thanks - I am very happy:-)