Old 12-05-2014, 11:29 AM   #1
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Question Insult to recreational Boaters?

This article seems a little bias. You would think all recreational boats have no experience and are drunks...

http://www.workboat.com/newslog.aspx?id=26389#log26368
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 12:00 PM   #2

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: NONE
Vessel Model: NONE
QUOTE:Boaters are out on the water doing whatever they want, said Capt. Mike McElroy, director of marine operations for Chicago’s Wendella Boats and Chicago Water Taxi, which participated in PVA’s presentation.
“Most of these people have never been on a boat before. It’s the equivalent of somebody without a driver’s license getting on the expressway,” he said.

One can only hope the NTSB see's this type of baseless nonsensical ranting as the gibberish it is
Capt Kangeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 12:04 PM   #3
Guru

City: Trenton
Time for some boating problems in ChiTown.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 12:58 PM   #4
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I tend to agree.

The vast majority of pleasure boaters don't know rules of the road or at least don't abide by them.

Many even experienced boaters just barely know the common rules but yet don't have the working knowledge of them to alloy them correctly in all situations.

Experienced or seasoned, well informed boaters are just a tip of the iceberg....certainly not the majority.

I remember the alcohol thread where many said even the one or two beer an afternoon boaters were a threat to boating safety....well heck there were more than a few experienced boaters on TF that admitted to that so add them to that worthless heap of ignorant boaters too.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 01:07 PM   #5
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Concerto
Vessel Model: 1980 Cheoy Lee
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I tend to agree.

The vast majority of pleasure boaters don't know rules of the road or at least don't abide by them.

Many even experienced boaters just barely know the common rules but yet don't have the working knowledge of them to alloy them correctly in all situations.
I feel the same way about many drivers , even though they (most likely) have licenses
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 01:56 PM   #6
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
I work on the waters of the Great lakes. The vast majority of recreational boaters there are fine. No problems at all. Certainly everyone here on this forum would be welcome to come drive my boat any day.

That being said, there are a lot of idiots out there. Some of the most problematic are the fishermen who insist upon sitting in the middle of the channel in restricted waterways. I can't tell you how many times I've seen guys wait until I've already sounded the danger signal twice before they even try to START their outboards.

I nearly ran over a sailboat on Lake Erie one dark, dark night because he didn't have any lights on. Not one. If he hadn't tried to light a cigarette when he did, I never would have seen him. It's probably the only recorded incident of smoking saving someone's life. He never did show up on the radar either.

I've had boats try to sneak between our 730 foot ship and the dock, while we were trying to tie up...It's madness.

I once saw somebody drive a jet ski full tilt over a dam. A big dam. Like a 75' tall dam.

Honestly, I don't think it would be at all unreasonable for people to have to pass a basic rules of the road or seamanship test. For their own safety and that of everyone around them.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 02:39 PM   #7
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Dave we have idiots on the Columbia River too. There is a 90 degree corner that the big ships must navigate. The channel is deep, but very narrow. A recreational fishing boat decided to anchor in the channel. Big ship blows horn, many times. Big boat sunk fishing boat, USCG had to rescue fisherman and was then cited....
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:01 PM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Who is the author writing for? Just tailoring the article for his readership. So yes, it's a little bias.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:41 PM   #9

City: Portsmouth, NH
Regardless of what motorized activity you are involved with, there is going to be about a 100% chance of stupidity observed. I think in a marine environment, you typically see it the most with smaller powerboats and PWCs. Of course financial entry point doesn't always get in the way. Not that I am a well experienced pilot but the old saying that rich guys sometimes 'buy their way into a plane' that they can't handle which usually ends up into a fatality or expensive crash.

I guess it boils down to this country not having a whole lot of repricussions for poor actions on the road and in the water. The air is a whole other story, there is no shortage of agencies watching your every move. Like confucious say, only dumb men paint tail numbers large
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 04:59 PM   #10
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
It astounds me that even in states with a boat license requirement, there is no requirement for an on the water test. Just know the rules for the test, then turn the key and take off.

Guys fishing in the middle of the channel is prevalent everywhere I travel. The normal routine is for them to move out of the way at the last second. I have a pair of Kahlenberg horns that I use from time to time when necessary. They get a huge reaction.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 05:47 PM   #11
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Woops 2 X
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 05:51 PM   #12
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
IMHO... lack of common courtesy plays a big part in problems on the waters as well as on roads. Humans, especially Americans, seem too often to have this "one-ups-man-ship" sickness. It's bred into us. Look at what has happened to our Fed Govt. They are basically paralyzed by it.

Saying I learned from dad - although he was also somewhat afflicted with one-up sickness:

"There lays the body of one Michael O'Day

He died defending his right of way

Mike was right, dead right, as he sailed along

But, he's just as dead as if he were wrong!"
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 06:05 PM   #13
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
It's always the 10% that make everybody else look stupid in the eyes of the ignorant.
windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 06:05 PM   #14
Guru

The law of tonnage is not a rule of the road and that can be one of the issues commercial guys have with little guys doing the unexpected based on that myth.

Done early before there is any doubt...great...at the last minute after the big guy has already corrected because of the "REAL" they tend to follow by the letter....then it can be ugly.

That's exactly what I meant in my last post of maybe have g the knowledge of the rules, but not a great working knowledge.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:12 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill29130 View Post
It's always the 10% that make everybody else look stupid in the eyes of the ignorant.
I hope you realize that a good working knowledge of boating is not with 90 percent of the boaters...at least between NJ and FL.

.... plus there is the arrogant "me first" group that don't follow and societal rules...just the ones that suit them. There is at least a few percent when combined with the completely oblivious.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:30 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
I hope you realize that a good working knowledge of boating is not with 90 percent of the boaters...at least between NJ and FL.

.... plus there is the arrogant "me first" group that don't follow and societal rules...just the ones that suit them. There is at least a few percent when combined with the completely oblivious.
The 10%'ers is a Marine Corp term, not an exact figure. It can be plus many percents on weekends and minus many percents on weekdays. Overall in my short career of boating, I have experienced a very small percentage of what I would call poor knowledge. I like to see the good in people and not just hound on the bad. Chances are you'll never come across them again anyway.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:27 PM   #17

City: Thorndike
Vessel Name: Periwinkle
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Well guys, you could be right but not sure I totally agree with everyone. Recently brought a vessel up the ICW from Key Largo to Massachusetts. The worst boaters I found were North of NJ. I do not remember any issues in the Southern states. Many times when being overtaken it was with a warning and slowdown if asked for. NJ North totally different. New York Harbor a total disaster. The worst was in the battery and the most offensive captains were the ferry boat captains.
kpinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:06 PM   #18
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Quote:
The law of tonnage is not a rule of the road and that can be one of the issues commercial guys have with little guys doing the unexpected based on that myth.
That's correct. There is no tonnage law. There is this, however:

INTERNATIONAL and INLAND

(b) A vessel of less than 20 meters in length or a sailing vessel shall not impede the passage of a vessel which can safely navigate only within a narrow channel or fairway.

I don't think people realize how quickly we run out of room when we're loaded to 26 feet.

You're right about people only following the parts of the rules that they think apply to them. I'm sure a lot of people have never read the rules, and are just going on what people have told them. If you're in your own private vessel fishing for fun, you are not technically a 'vessel engaged in fishing' under the rules. You are just a power driven vessel, with the rights and responsibilities thereof.

(d) The term "vessel engaged in fishing" means any vessel fishing with nets, lines, trawls or other fishing apparatus which restrict maneuverability, but does not include a vessel fishing with trolling lines or other fishing apparatus which do not restrict maneuverability.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:16 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpinnn View Post
Well guys, you could be right but not sure I totally agree with everyone. Recently brought a vessel up the ICW from Key Largo to Massachusetts. The worst boaters I found were North of NJ. I do not remember any issues in the Southern states. Many times when being overtaken it was with a warning and slowdown if asked for. NJ North totally different. New York Harbor a total disaster. The worst was in the battery and the most offensive captains were the ferry boat captains.
Dam Yankees!
Old 12-05-2014, 09:25 PM   #20
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I have always contended that the most dangerous part of running my recreational scuba charter operation was bringing the boat from the seabouy to my slip on the trip home. While not all or even most recreational boaters are a danger to everyone including themselves and their passengers, there are a significant number every afternoon in the Ocean City MD waterways that are. I am truly amazed that more people aren't injured or killed while boating because of these idiots. While I'm a less government person, would really like to see the marine police crackdown on the reckless boaters and hand out some meaningful fines.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote