Installing a new generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
p.s We do have A/C running on the inverter but only turn it down 10 degrees for a couple of hours during the middle of the day. we simply let our bodies acclimatize, otherwise we may as well have stayed in the chilly wet Northern climes.
Less is more in the bank and we can spend it on travel, wine and song. We'll blow the rest !

I have a 2009 Ranger tug that has 2.5KW generator with less than 4 hours on it for sale. Buy the boat get the generator

Hi, I'm looking at a boat that's never had a generator. I understand it will need a seacock, exhaust and wiring. I'm guessing $12-14k. Any imput or suggestions.

Thanks

You may be close. I had an 8K Westerbeke replaced with 12KW Northern lights. It was a bit more than your number but it is a bigger genset. Just needed to be installed and connected. You'll have to do a bit more than that. BUT, you're probably not far off.

If the boat has never had a generator, I'd consider this option (depending on cost):

https://integrelsolutions.com/

I'd certainly consider that as an alternative on a new boat or when redoing the electrical system on a trawler - looks like you're project fits the bill!

Solar panels

Why you need a generator?

Why you need a generator?

Solar panels would probably not run a hot water tank for very long.

Or portable electric heater for spot or area heating when you don't want to heat the whole boat.

cheap gen install

This install in our 70 yr old Percy Voss converted trawler, mains power wiring all there.
lombardini diesel 4.5 kva generator, air cooled $1300
2nd hand no hours, frame cut to get thru doors, bolted to boat ribs
exhaust : stainless with 2x flexibends joined to main, $400
extension lead from engine room to exterior mains inlet and bob's your aunty! Bit noisy but gets rid of uppity yuppies and can run 1-2 draws at a time, ie hot water and coffee, or hot water and refridge but don't add the toaster!
Cheers, Brian

I installed a NL 6kw in an Eagle 40 as a dyi. I cannot fathom the prices being bantered about as install cost. Maybe the fact there were transfer switches pre-installed so all I had to do was glass in one support, a water lift muffler costing $200, a seacock and strainer. The time was about 12 hours. Wiring to the helm for a remote panel easily ran through an existing conduit and the battery install went beside the generator. Perhaps was lucky that there was room for the install. The skill level was maybe 3 out of 5 and it has been trouble free except for an impeller failure around 150 hours resulting in a hot night at anchor. I carry 2 spares now.

Hi, I'm looking at a boat that's never had a generator. I understand it will need a seacock, exhaust and wiring. I'm guessing $12-14k. Any imput or suggestions.

Thanks
I got a similar price of around 10K for a 5kw machine a few years ago for my 30' Cruisers. My boat was all set up for one just never installed when built.
I just got a rough number at a boat show to replace my 5KW Westerbeke with a newer similar model and they said around 12 to 15K.
If you need to have structural work done like supports, fiberglass etc that 12-14 might go up fast. Most yards charge 80 to 120 dollars per hour depending on the season in the Chesapeake area. I would get 3 estimates.
Good luck

I bought a used generator last January 2019

I bought a NL 5kw genset for $5000, with a sound shield, remote panel and water strainer. It had 700 hours .I located the genset on the starboard side of the laserette instead of where my old onan was on the portside because of size constraints on the port side.

The only extra things to do were:
1) putting in extra supports for the 400lb generator.
2) splicing in an extra 6 feet of wire, (#12-8 conductor) for the remote panel that fit perfectly on top of my old Onan generator panel, right by my lower pilot station.
3) making a holder for the raw water strainer

I found though, that I have some structrual noise. To mitigate this I am going to increase the thickness of the plywood board the genset is sitting upon. And I am going to add 4 vibration isolator supports, essentially 2" round rubber supports with a bolt that attatches to the bottom of the genset. I am also thinking of adding sound insulation to my laserette.

Any ideas you guys might have on sound mitigation of generators is wellcome.

Last edited:
Instead of a plywood board use a steel plate. The weight will help reduce vibrations.

I've installed these under the plywood platform supporting the generator with great success

Choose mounts based on supporting weight. Which type depends on over head clearance.

I glue two 3/4" plywood together with epoxy for the platform.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 146
  • JWI_451-25-30-M6-SS-55.jpg
    JWI_451-25-30-M6-SS-55.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
You guys don't disappoint

As usually the great knowledge of the Trawler forum does not disapoint. Keep the suggestions coming

Thanks again

A couple of suggestions if your doing the install yourself

If your going to install it yourself you should do the following

1) Make up an exact cardboard box replica of the genset your going to install and see how and where it might fit. Pay close attention as to what side is the service side and where the exhaust hose exits and the water hose enters. (Exhaust hoses are very stiff)
2)Will you need a battery for the genset or will you use your existing start battery.
3) What size will you need. This is dependent on your household power needs.
4) Do you have the skills to do the job? The genset runs your AC side but also charges your DC side.

There are a lot of questions that have to be answered before you plunk down $10000 to $20000 for a new genset. Good luck.

Last edited:
If you have room on the under side of the plywood base add a stringer and glass it to the plywood so the plywood doesn’t oil can. I would go the long way if possible but you don’t want the plywood base vibrating.

I put a layer of Fabreeka anti-vibration padding between the new 16kw genset and the (new glassed in plywood) base, which I think has been helpful to reducing transmitted vibration. The genset came with isolation mounts.

Upshot is the new set up transmits less vibration that the original 2006 9.9kw Onan (also on isolation mounts).

Fabreeka has a website where you can view their product range.

Hamish.

Back
Top Bottom