Installation of Sea State Indicator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boathealer

Guru
Vessel Name
--
Vessel Make
Between boats
Got my new Sea State Indicator installed today!

The mounting at the helm wasn't too bad - I tried several brackets and then found a good method. Minimal electrical wiring, too!

I really like the user interface - it is surprisingly simple and straightforward. I didn't like the interface on some of the higher-end units.

We're out on the sea trials now running through the calibration process. It looks very promising. The animated GIF below shows the sea state to be a light to moderate chop.

Overall, a welcome addition to my navigation tools.....

EDIT: Bummer - animated gif attachments don't work...

Attachments

• SeaStateIndicator_648x432_20200319104417_1.jpg
    SeaStateIndicator_648x432_20200319104417_1.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
Software updates should be easy!

What, does she barf at Force 6?

Mine is when the ships bell rings on its own, its pretty snotty.:D

I like the bell, mine is diesel powered and is calibrated to ring some of the time in head seas between 3 and 4 feet, a lot of the time with seas between 4 and 5 feet, and almost all the time over 5 feet. Generally we turn around and go downwind when the bell starts ringing a lot of the time.

Tom

Got me Boat. Convinced I was going to see a 2 boatbuck "instrument" to add to the helm. Well done!

Most excellent!

Our 130 pound Pyrenees Lab mix has a stomach of steel. The Yorkies puke once books start falling from the rack behind the helm seat. We leave the dogs now and just trust the books.

Last edited:
LOL. We also used to have one of those on our old boat, mounted by the helm. Loved it!

I am shocked the instrument is not in Clemson colors

We don't have exotic beauties in comparison.

Attachments

• IMG_0102.jpg
    IMG_0102.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 38
"The trouble is that good means bad, and bad means good. Now I'm so confused."

George Orwell would be proud!

Yes, but is it NMEA2000 compatible?

LOL!!! we do too. It's become part of our vernacular. In discussions about the conditions during a trip......"We had a few 'bell ringers' on the way over".

i gotta have one. where did you get her?

That was ours, too. Until one very nasty overnighter when it rang about every 20-30 seconds for hours on end. After that, a zip tie has secured the clapper in place!

That was ours, too. Until one very nasty overnighter when it rang about every 20-30 seconds for hours on end. After that, a zip tie has secured the clapper in place!

Ours got dis-mounted and stowed when the rules changed to no longer require the bell. Running up on plane, crossing pretty much any wake or running in any kind of chop over about a foot would cause the bell to ring on every wave impact. I could potentially re-mount the bell and secure the clapper, but the mounting spot for it isn't quite 100% out of the way anyway.

When we bought Seven Tenths, she had a brass oil lantern hanging above the galley table. She who must be obeyed, wanted the stain glass light from the house hung above the table so the oil lantern was hung on a hook in the cockpit.
On an exciting run down the Chesapeake Bay, the oil lantern tossed it self overboard...it must have cleared the cockpit wall because we found no glass or contact mark on the fiberglass.

If you look under her skit, I'm calling the USCG on you.

Back
Top Bottom