Install boarding ladder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JeffH

I just bought a boarding ladder and intend to keep is stowed on deck until it is needed. It is designed to mount on two keyhole plates, each secured by two bolts. My problem is that I cannot access the inside upper part of the hull on my 1978 CHB. I’ve considered screws since the shear would be nearly vertical but am afraid that wouldn’t be strong enough. I’ve also thought of gluing and screwing a wooden plate to the side so that I can screw the mounts to that, or possible bolt the mounts to the plate and then screw and glue the plate to the boat. Any suggestions or other ideas?

We have a ladder that sounds similar to what you are referring. The keyhole brackets have 4 holes and I screwed it to the fiberglass. It holds me fine and I am a big guy.

Attachments

• B5732D74-5863-4DB9-8932-6973086319A5.jpg
    B5732D74-5863-4DB9-8932-6973086319A5.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 79
I just bought a boarding ladder and intend to keep is stowed on deck until it is needed. It is designed to mount on two keyhole plates, each secured by two bolts.

Please be sure to have a way for someone that falls overboard to reboard SOLO -- without help from someone on deck. Your ladder does zero good if someone in the water cannot reach it.

It is also best practice to have three steps beneath the water.

None of us is as young, fit, and strong as we once were. Don't become a statistic.

I REALLY worry about this, having just heard a friend who could well have drown. He was shouting for a long time -- I had heard what I thought was "hello" and wondered who the idiot was that was yelling.

Finally I looked out and spotted a white ball near the bow of his boat. It was my friend. The water was cold (not frigid) and he was holding on to his mooring ball. He was unable to climb into his rubber dinghy and his ladder was in his cockpit locker -- because he hadn't started cruising and was "just" living aboard.

Be safe.

I assumed the original poster was referring to a boarding ladder in order to board from the dock. The ladder that I posted does not extend down into the water.

We have a ladder that sounds similar to what you are referring.
I like the "whoops, don't drop it in the water" leash. Preventative, or past experience?

It is preventive, I have never dropped it but it did dangle for a while while we were cruising...

I have a similar ladder to yours, Comodave, and it makes boarding a sundeck a snap when we just want quick access or we’re overnighting at another marina. We also have a set of Marquipt boat stairs that we use for longer term stays or for people who can’t climb a ladder.

Janice’s recommendation is important, I think, and has jogged me to follow up on a survey finding. It was pointed out that the existing boarding ladder on the swim platform can’t be lowered by someone in the water. I need to get one that mounts on or below the swim platform that can easily be deployed by a single swimmer.

Good info everyone. Today I plan to drill a small hole to see if I can determine what’s behind there.

If you have deckspace, a ladder like our Dive N Dog may be an option. #14 screws hold the keyholes into solid wood and the stainless ladder is rated at 300 lbs. it deploys, removes and stows in seconds.

(Pls ignore the condition of the woodwork. It’s getting a makeover this year.)

Attachments

• 95C363BD-C503-44BC-886B-D2E3DF69E2F4.jpg
    95C363BD-C503-44BC-886B-D2E3DF69E2F4.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 65
Got a picture of where you're thinking about installing it? Might help with suggestions.

And is there no way to get behind, or just no way that isn't convenient? Sometimes there's a panel, hatch or below material that could be moved to gain access.

Boarding ladder

There is always a way. It looks like I could go through the wall by the port berth. However, there is what appears to be mahogany tongue and groove glued to the panel. As an added obstacle there are brass wood screws every two feet or so on every board, and many of the heads are stripped. I’ve considered an inspection hole but will try to come up with a different plan.

There are many types of “toggle “ fasteners that would work nicely to spread the load on the mounting screws.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom