Old 03-20-2020, 06:27 PM   #1

City: Sequim Wa
Vessel Name: Michelle
Vessel Model: 1977 Schucker 436
Inside Passage Travel Route

Hello, I am hoping to travel up the Inside Passage in late May. We will be leaving Sequim and heading for Petersburg AK.
I am hoping to find folks that have made the trip and are willing to share their experience.
Routes, stops, good anchorages, fuel stops and safe havens. All he things that others have learned by doing or instructions from others.
I hope I can find some good soles willing to share.
Thanks
BonesD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 07:12 PM   #2

City: Wrangell
Vessel Name: Dreams
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3988
We haven't made the trip, but are (were?) planning to this year. In my research I found the flotilla blogs from both Slowboat and Waggoner's to not only share their routes, but also include discussion on the stops. Then I supplemented this with Active Captain reviews and Waggoner's Cruising Guide.

Day 0 | Flotilla to Alaska | And We’re Off! – Slowboat

https://waggonerguide.com/up-the-ins...otilla-part-1/
murofrelwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 07:14 PM   #3
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
You are aware the border is closed to non-essential travel right now and the closure looks like it will longer than shorter.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 07:14 PM   #4
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Don't get your hopes up on your trip. The border with Canada is closed until further notice except for essential travel. Suggest you read some cruising guides in the interim. The Douglass 'Exporing' books have a lot of information, published by Fine Edge.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:15 PM   #5

City: Whittier
Vessel Name: Nomad
Vessel Model: Brix 42
I have made that trip in both directions quite a few times. It is a fabulous journey and while the weather can be miserable May-June is a good choice for that trip. We will need more information about the capability and range of your boat in order to respond to your questions. Your mechanical skills and that of your crew also has a bearing on your choices.

There are numerous online chart plotting aps that you can download and begin making plans. It is a process that you will enjoy immensely if you are like most of us.
Larmex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 10:58 PM   #6

City: Sammamish
Vessel Name: Knot Home
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788 - 1998
If you can transit B.C. without anchoring or making landfall you’re golden. If not (sounds unlikely) then you can plan, but like famous quotes - you make plans and then then the first shot is fired/life happens. We’ve got a great 40 day float plan for B.C. starting in Anacortes but I’m now creating a new summer plan based on the San Juans and South Sound. Desolation may still remain an impossible dream.
MMSI 368040370
Beaverlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 11:24 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I would not make any hard and fast plans about going through Canada now.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 11:28 PM   #8
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonesD View Post
Hello, I am hoping to travel up the Inside Passage in late May. We will be leaving Sequim and heading for Petersburg AK.
I am hoping to find folks that have made the trip and are willing to share their experience.
Routes, stops, good anchorages, fuel stops and safe havens. All he things that others have learned by doing or instructions from others.
Thanks
Take a look at my blog below. Been 3 times now. Was hoping to go this year too. We will see.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 01:46 AM   #9
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonesD View Post
Thanks
At the present, you had be able to make the trip non-stop, no anchoring, on port calls, nothing. With the border closed, only non-stop traverse is available.
Let me know if this is bad information, as that is the concept that I am believing to be in effect at the moment.
Al-Ketchikan
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 07:56 AM   #10
Guru

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pacific Myst
Vessel Model: West Bay 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
At the present, you had be able to make the trip non-stop, no anchoring, on port calls, nothing. With the border closed, only non-stop traverse is available.
Let me know if this is bad information, as that is the concept that I am believing to be in effect at the moment.
Al-Ketchikan

Al,

I've been wondering about that. It is certain that Canada is still allowing the non-stop passage Wa to Ak on their inland waters? I haven't been able to find good info on the subject. I could see Canada closing that passage, especially to recreational boats, because it is such a challenging run to do non-stop. Not the length, it is the timing of all of the tidal "gates" and having to run some of them and narrow passages as well in the darkness. Recreational boaters could have a hard time pulling that off and wind up anchoring or trying to tie to shore. A few mishaps and the non-stop passage would be shut down to recreational boaters.

I know some will bring up the idea that Canada cannot restrict water passage but I'll disagree. Doing a bit of research I find that Canada claims territorial water out to 12 miles. https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/....html#h-382995 That puts the Canadian parts of the Inside Passage within Canada's territorial sea.

Canada has in recent times exercised their right of control over their portion of the inside passage. See "1994 Transit Fee Crisis" in this Wikipedia article.

Anyway, the idea of running non-stop through the inside passage or running up the outside is something not to be taken lightly.
Portage_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 08:49 AM   #11
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
With the correct vessel and some decent weather routing, Neah Bay to Ketchikan or beyond is quite easy. James Hamilton has an excellent blog describing M/V Dirona's initial journey up the West Coast of Vancouver Island and across the Gulf of AK.

Many do the Inside passage non stop, but again the right vessel and a large array of LEDs for log spotting. Then timing Cape Caution and Dixon Entrance weather correctly which is no small chore.

As others have said though, you'll need a 1,000 mile range, capable vessel and experienced crew to do the IP non stop. Few can meet these basic requirements. Good news, diesel fuel prices are plummeting in Washington.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 08:59 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
With the correct vessel and some decent weather routing, Neah Bay to Ketchikan or beyond is quite easy. James Hamilton has an excellent blog describing M/V Dirona's initial journey up the West Coast of Vancouver Island and across the Gulf of AK.

Many do the Inside passage non stop, but again the right vessel and a large array of LEDs for log spotting. Then timing Cape Caution and Dixon Entrance weather correctly which is no small chore.

As others have said though, you'll need a 1,000 mile range, capable vessel and experienced crew to do the IP non stop. Few can meet these basic requirements. Good news, diesel fuel prices are plummeting in Washington.

Agreed, with the right vessel, crew, skills and information it is doable. But will Canada continue to allow transit on their portion of the inside passage? It's their territorial sea, they don't have to allow US boats to transit inside.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:20 AM   #13
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
It's the same with cars...if you wanted to drive nonstop across the US or Canada (carrying extra fuel) you probably wouldn't be allowed.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:29 AM   #14

City: Houston / Ketchikan
Vessel Name: Backchuck
Vessel Model: 28' Crozier / Hunt
If vessel and crew are capable and WX is good going the outside
is the easiest way to Ketchikan to start your summer cruise.

No tide / current windows to worry about, much less floating debris, etc.
Jon H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 11:34 AM   #15
Guru

Most of the non-stop (trains as they are called) through BC are with fishing boats and tugs. With fishing boats, I have seen 5-10 boats following each other trading off the lead position. In order to do the non-stop they would call Prince Rupert Traffic (VTS) to obtain a permit.
Old 03-21-2020, 12:08 PM   #16
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
I am surprised it would be no anchoring, no port calls I understand. When I cleared customs in Ketchikan the officer only inspected if you made a port call, and didn't if you didn't stop and set foot on land in your passage.
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 12:15 PM   #17
Guru

City: West Coast
Canadian ports of entry are the equivalent of land crossings and are closed to non-essential traffic. Recreational vessels will be denied entry, at first reporting, north or south. The only option is to go outside.

I am surprise this is even being discussed, at this time.
soin2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 02:24 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by soin2la View Post
Canadian ports of entry are the equivalent of land crossings and are closed to non-essential traffic. Recreational vessels will be denied entry, at first reporting, north or south. The only option is to go outside.

I am surprise this is even being discussed, at this time.

The reason it is being discussed is the long standing Canadian policy to allow US boats to transit the Canadian waters of the Inside Passage without checking in to Canada customs as long as the boat does not anchor or dock. It has not been made clear if that policy will continue or not.

One post mentioned the fishing fleet checking in with Prince Rupert Traffic. However many of the recreational boats do not need to check in with traffic.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:57 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portage_Bay View Post
The reason it is being discussed is the long standing Canadian policy to allow US boats to transit the Canadian waters of the Inside Passage without checking in to Canada customs as long as the boat does not anchor or dock. It has not been made clear if that policy will continue or not.

One post mentioned the fishing fleet checking in with Prince Rupert Traffic. However many of the recreational boats do not need to check in with traffic.
That may have changed even for rec boats. May need to get a permit.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:22 PM   #20
Guru

Yes it may have. And I respect the Canadians exercising their authority to protect their citizens.

As an aside. Given the choice to run the inside passage 24 x 7 with no stops vs the outside I'd take the outside. With a well found boat with suffeecient ange the main obstacle on the outside is a good weather window.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
That may have changed even for rec boats. May need to get a permit.