Inmar RIBs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bulldog

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Growler
Vessel Make
Albin 36 Express Trawler
We were at Newport Boat Show this weekend with intention of buying an aluminum hulled RIB. We are considering a Tug and the Inmar. Does anybody have any experience or opinion with Inmar?

Thanks!

Many including myself prefer double hulled RIBs. Walking around on a slanted hull and into water isn't everyone's cup of tea. The double hull leaves space underneath for water while providing a flat platform for walking. You might want to check out the Highfield brand with their double hull. The Inmar appears to have only one hull.

Both inmars that I looked at had the double - flat floor. One in Aluminum and the other in Fiberglass. There impressive. I am not a fan of "powder coated" hardware though. Powder coat can cover up a poor base metal selection and the coating can chip and delaminate easily.

FWIW, I was doing some RIB shopping this year. I was set on an AL hull but a vendor talked me out of. I use a SeaWise davit system where the RIB is tipped on its side at the stern. He told me that over time, you will get corrosion on the lower part of the hull where water will accumulate between the tube and the AL hull. He said it can take 6-7 years, and can be repaired but due to the labor is a couple boat bucks to do it. He would have made more money selling me an AL RIB than the fiberglass RIB that he did. He also had AL RIB more quickly available.

A week later I was walking the dock and started chatting to a guy that had the very same AL hull RIB I had been looking at, also on SeaWise davits. He loved his RIB. Liked the AL hull. He also said that after about 7 years he had to have it repaired because of corrosion at the hull-tube interface. The repair worked well however he anticipates having to do it again in another 5 years.

FWIW....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom