Incredible drone footage Volvo ocean race

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Absolutely unbelievable!!

My Albin couldn't do 600 miles in a day if it were on a truck on the freeway.

Here is a question for you engineers out there. Is there a way to compute horsepower based on sail size and wind. In other words, are those sales and boats generating 500 to 600 horsepower to achieve these speeds?

pete

Boy that's a beautiful video. Now that's sailing. Has to be a very high-end, high range drone too to get those shots in high winds, needless to say. Wow.

I've mentioned this before, we motored our new (to us) boat out of Narragansett Bay just as the last Volvo racer was leaving in 2015. We did our best to get out of the way, but they buzzed us anyway -- or maybe they did it on purpose just for fun. It was exhilarating to watch, I'll never forget it. I had the throttle up at 12-15 knots (fast for our boat) because the weather was very rough and we were trying to stay out of the way, but they blew past us like we were standing still. Beautiful few moments when they sliced past with a loud whoosh and a cloud of spray.

Thanks for posting that link.

My Albin couldn't do 600 miles in a day if it were on a truck on the freeway.

Here is a question for you engineers out there. Is there a way to compute horsepower based on sail size and wind. In other words, are those sales and boats generating 500 to 600 horsepower to achieve these speeds?

pete

Not an engineer but I have 800 or so horses in my Hatt and I think it would take at least that to do it..... or picture 4 225 Hondas on the stern.....

I have sailed on one of the old Americas cup 12m boats and they were incredibly fast. Compared to these they would standing still. it must be exhausting for the crew.

it must be exhausting for the crew.

They are well conditioned athletes. Back when I was bullet proof I thought this would be fun.... Did a bit of off shore solo and had "Around Alone" dreams. Never happened, good or bad we'll never know.

Boy that's a beautiful video. Now that's sailing. Has to be a very high-end, high range drone too to get those shots in high winds, needless to say. Wow....
Drone technology has evolved to give the consumer access to some pretty high-tech gear. This is shot on a DJI Phantom, the same drone that Eric Aanderaa uses for his incredible videos of heavy-weather sailing in the North Sea:
https://youtu.be/j4ZfmA5m22A

pete

You can roughly figure: 4000 sq ft sail area close reaching, say 25 knots of wind and 25 knots of boat speed. Dynamic pressure of wind is 2.1 psi, lift coefficient of about 1.2 so 10000 lbs of lift. Unless a beam reach not all of this is driving forward so say 7000 lbs (apparent wind 45 deg). 7000 lbs at 25 knots is 536 horsepower. You'd need maybe 1000 hp engine to do that because of prop inefficiency. These are very light, pure planing hull forms.

They are well conditioned athletes. Back when I was bullet proof I thought this would be fun.... Did a bit of off shore solo and had "Around Alone" dreams. Never happened, good or bad we'll never know.

You read stories about the boats, for example the head is made much tighter than a phone booth so you can't fall off the seat, and there is a helmet hanging at the door to put on so you don't get a head injury. Seriously. In the 'round the world catamarans they would sleep with their feet forward, so that if they collided with an iceberg in the Southern Ocean at 35 knots you wouldn't break your neck. There are Open 60 class boats doing nearly the same thing single handed. The single handed monohull 24 hour record is 536 nm, on trimarans is in 850 nm (a little better than 35 knots average for 24 hours, by yourself, on a 100' trimaran).

The single handed monohull 24 hour record is 536 nm, on trimarans is in 850 nm (a little better than 35 knots average for 24 hours, by yourself, on a 100' trimaran).

Crazy. I was lucky enough to get 200NM out of a Catalina 42 in 24 hours.....:D

Back
Top Bottom