Incident at fuel dock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zoo this year...

I cannot say it is the case in your situation but my observation is:
It is even more of a zoo this year than ever.

Brokers and yacht lenders, slip sales, etc. everyone in the business is saying how many new people are buying boats this year because of COVID-19.
SO,
There are a lot of untrained newbies out there this season, and all the gates at the zoo have been left open!

Most important to take extra precautions for sure.

There are a lot of untrained newbies out there this season, and all the gates at the zoo have been left open!

Most important to take extra precautions for sure.

Scary.

No fuel attendant in California at a marina fuel dock has ever done more than assisting handling (beyond collecting payment) the hose but never the nozel. Typically, it is just me.

First time in Oregon several years ago, I made the error of assuming it was self-service to fuel my land-based Ford Explorer. Is it the same for Oregon marine fuel docks?

At the gas dock where I gas up there is a sign.....Unattended children will be given Cuban coffee and a free puppy!

Thanks for the chuckle:D. This thread needed it.:nonono:

In Ohio all marina fuel operators are required to take a test yearly. The only self service pumps are those that the DNR/Sheriff's have. Surprised to learn that's not the case everywhere.

I was kneeling on the dock at the side of my boat filling it with gas. My wife was standing at the pump reading off 10 gallon intervals. A smaller runabout boat was behind us also filling with gas, but dad was on the boat filling with his small daughter standing in the bow. Grandfather was on the dock reading off the gallons while 6 year old grandson was running all over the place. The fuel dockhand had retreated to his hut.

When the small boat behind us finished filling the 6 year old boy ran over to the pump and pushed the button to retract the fuel hose. Only he pushed our button. The fuel hose was jerked out of my hand and sent fuel down the side of our boat, onto my forearms, in the water, and a bit on the dock. There would have been a lot less fuel sprayed if the retracting hose had not briefly tightened my grip on the nozzle trigger.

To say the whole thing was freaky would be a huge understatement. I notified the marina management. They will be doing some additional training of the dockhand. From now on my wife will guard the pump.

It’s a zoo out there.

I didn't read every post. Perhaps this has already been said. But, I feel it necessary to say again and again!

What? WHAT?? WHATT???

That fuel-dock has a semi-automatic fuel-hose/filler-nozzle retrieval system... that at any time can be activated by anyone [of any age]?

A self-powerful gasoline-hose/filler-nozzle retrieval system that by simply pushing a button can be activated at any time and could rip a then functioning fuel-nozzle right out of the person's hand who is performing the fillup...

Besides that being nuts... that system purely places the owner of the fuel dock in position of liability... not so much the people performing the fillup.

A Sydney Harbour fuel dock I used required users to view a series of online lectures and videos, and successfully complete an online test before gaining permission to use the self user fuel dock. In practice there was a company representative present. As well as training users, the operator was trying to shift responsibility. I suspect there was a liability insurer involved.

So for those of us also in the Pacific North West would you mind identifying the fuel dock? Want to watch that one if I ever use it.

Marty.......................

Professionals! practically every fuel person in Oregon looks like they are on meth! . Luckily for me they don't pump diesel or motorcycles.. I dont want those dirt bags anywhere near my stuff.
These laws have nothing to do with safety or enviro concerns.. its all about employing people not smart enough to do anything else. I always imagined the test to get hired was a wood block with a hole in it that the have to put in a round dowel.. complete this task and bingo.. your hired!
Most fuel docks here hand you the nozzle with a diaper and you do the rest, I figure they don't want to risk scratching a boat.

HOLLYWOOD
We like our Oregon fuel attendants! Yes, some have made mistakes, some not. If you have a chance to visit with one, you may be surprised. Frankly, I’m glad that they have a job and aren’t out burning down cities.

I always have a bottle of Dawn handy when I fuel. Amazing emulsifier.

I always have a bottle of Dawn handy when I fuel. Amazing emulsifier.
Effective for what you use it for but not a good environmental practice. An oil pad much better for diesel. First gas better to let it evaporate.

I would be interested to know if anyone on here has ever reported a spill and what was the result?

Also my experience is that the marina employees are very happy to turn a blind eye to minor fuelling "blips."

We ask for a bilge diaper every time we fuel and wrap it around the nozzle. We have an advantage in that all three of our fills are horizontal deck fills. Though sorer on the back!

Yes...reported many ( dozens of salvages) a few few spills.....

USCG or State Police would show up, take some info and leave. The biggest may have been 50-100 gallons of diesel in a strong current...most common others were a mix of gas or diesel and motor oil of at most several gallons leaking from dipstick, vents, etc.

Nothing I know ever came out of any of them....the USCG just usually requested our assistance tow company use some pads to clean up what we could....if we wanted to .....file for reimbursement from some national cleanup fund. I doubt the owners were ever bothered.

In Ohio all marina fuel operators are required to take a test yearly. The only self service pumps are those that the DNR/Sheriff's have. Surprised to learn that's not the case everywhere.

I hear what you're saying, but keep in mind that most, if not all of those idiot drivers out there on the road also passed their Driver's test . . . :eek:

So for those of us also in the Pacific North West would you mind identifying the fuel dock? Want to watch that one if I ever use it.

Marty.......................

I thought about identifying the fuel dock and have decided not to. I’ve not been overly impressed by any fuel dock I’ve visited. What I wanted to do with my post was to let folks know anything can happen at a fuel dock if you aren’t very attentive.

If I’m at a fuel dock with my wife we will work as a team to monitor the situation and be assertive. If I”m fueling by myself I will have to work harder to assess the situation before I begin fueling. I might even request the help of the dockhand if they are not otherwise engaged or paying appropriate attention.

The last two times I’ve left a fuel dock at two different marinas boats have entered the fuel dock area throwing wakes and overtaking other boats in fairways. I’m not going to expect these people will behave themselves at the fuel dock when they won’t elsewhere. This is only going to get worse as more people start boating. I’m going to be assertive at the fuel dock and won’t care if people think I’m a jerk.

That owner should have been cited with a heavy fine. In most places, you can't renew dog tags without proof of rabies vaccination.

Refer to OP #1

As I recall the owners had the dog put down after discussing the fine with animal control. I think the cost of two weeks of quarantine at the veterinary hospital also helped convince them.
My wife and I are life long owners and love dogs. Why dog owners don’t control their dogs or comply with leach laws alway puzzles us, but as the Dog Whisperer says he trains dog owners not the dogs !

Not in New Jersey. Its illegal to pump your own auto gas/diesel.

Still living in NJ. (for now)
It is true gas station attendants are supposed to pump the fuel in NJ. Around here it seems to be mainly twenties something Pakistani(?) guys working in the stations. Not bad guys, especially considering they seem to be working all day everyday till they disappear after a few months.

They will normally let you pump your own into a car or truck if you want but I don't feel the need. When it comes to motorcycle, gas cans or anything on a trailer it seems they would rather leave it to the customer.

I pumped gas for a while many many years ago. The boss was kind of picky but never said anything about not letting customers pump their own gas. Never heard of anybody getting hassled for customer pumping their own fuel.

Refer to OP #1
My wife and I are life long owners and love dogs. Why dog owners don’t control their dogs or comply with leash laws always puzzles us, but as the Dog Whisperer says he trains dog owners not the dogs !

Unfortunately as the saying goes: You can't fix stupid.

I feel bad for the dogs and the peoples kids. The puppies may be given to decent homes. The kids unfortunately are not so lucky.

Last edited:
I would be interested to know if anyone on here has ever reported a spill and what was the result?

Also my experience is that the marina employees are very happy to turn a blind eye to minor fuelling "blips."

We ask for a bilge diaper every time we fuel and wrap it around the nozzle. We have an advantage in that all three of our fills are horizontal deck fills. Though sorer on the back!

I have reported 3 spills. Two fuel, one flocoat. One minor fuel spill was my error, the other fuel spill was significant and the captain's error. The flocoat was an unfortunate incident. It was an old USCG boat that had the steel rub rails treated with flocoat, rust penetrated the weld seam on the underside and the flocoat dribbled out on a hot day.

It seems to be somewhat up to the responding officer what will happen. I have observed that if you stop the spill and begin cleanup / containment immediately then it will go better for you. Using dispersants, unless you are BP, will likely get you in trouble.

If the spill is large, due to negligence or carelessness it won't go well.

If it's a slow news day you may wind up on the evening news even for a small spill. I don't look so good on TV.

1950's and 60's inner areas of LI NY South Shore; at fuel dock areas, the water surface usually sheened far and wide with a petrol coating. The smell was unpleasant. No one gave a rats A! And, oh yeah... there was often some dead rats floating in the sheen.

We've come a long way! :dance:

We've come a long way! :dance:

I agree but not everyone agrees with us.

There are plenty of people out there who think we should be going back to the good old days. I'm not sure sure the old days were always that good. Also with many more people around each creating the same level of mess as in years gone by it would add up to a lot more mess.

It's not like the Cuyahoga River fires were that unusual!

Burn on mighty river

Okay the song is Burn On Big River but mighty sounds better to me then big

Last edited:
Reactions: Art
Fueled our Mainship Pilot 30 recently at Madeira Beach Municipal Marina... as we pulled in, no answer on the VHF, so we tied up at the floating dock - which was covered in fuel hoses snaking this way and that, from about 3 or 4 different pumps. A tour boat pulled in just behind us, and the crew said to just help yourself, but follow the hoses back to the pump you want. Which we did, and afterwards made out way into the office, only to find a 20-something attendant (?) intent on his i-phone, but little else. Paid, and left. Kid probably could have made double his wages in tips, had he been out there on the dock for each boat, but didn't seem to give a ****. Place was an accident waiting to happen, and they won't see us again.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom