Inadvertantly Commenting On Classified Ads?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gdavid

Guru
Vessel Name
Graceland
Vessel Make
Mainship 34 MK1
I have seen multiple cases of users posting comments on boats and items listed in classifieds and in some cases the comments are critical of the items/boat and really not appropriate. I suspect that most of these posts are actually innocently made because users are clicking on the recent threads topics (shortcut) and not necessarily realizing they are classified threads, especially if a couple of comments were already made complimenting the boat/item and therefor appearing more like a discussion of the boat's/items qualities.

Perhaps putting the word "classified" or "For Sale" in the thread title would alleviate some of this issue. It won't do a thing to prevent users that are very well aware of what they are doing, but I really suspect many people are honestly mistaking the thread for a discussion.

Hmm. If you are commenting on a comment why does it matter?

Go to the Classifieds forum, and read the sticky titled "General Guidelines For Posting in Classifieds."

Hmm. If you are commenting on a comment why does it matter?

Whether you are responding the original post or a comment, the impact is the same, there is a sticky in the classifieds regarding critical comments in classifieds.

Personally I think many of the comments could be useful and shouldn't discourage a sale but they can be misinterpreted by a potential buyer or even misguided if a comment is inaccurate. For example if I am buying a boat and receive advice that this particular model's tanks tend to get funky, I would buy the boat, clean it myself and appreciate the advise, but if a new shopper with limited experience hears this tip they may assume it is an expensive job they cannot undertake and requires a significant expense to rectify.

Or a likely hypothetical: "that model's teak decks are a nightmare and you should plan to remove them", this advice is applicable to a huge number of boats of similar age and design but a potential buyer reads this (and takes it to heart because the poster has provided lots of good advice elsewhere on the site) and now assumes that all brand "x" model "y" year "z" are trouble to be avoided at all cost, meanwhile the boat advertised could be a cream puff in perfect shape.

It's not my opinion on the policy that matters but I understand why it is in place.

I certainly have been guilty of that in the past due to using the recent posts section.

I certainly have been guilty of that in the past due to using the recent posts section.

Full disclosure: I've been guilty of it in the past also, and got chastised for it. :) My sin was commenting upon the asking price, which I felt was much too high. It is an easy trap to fall into, and we realize that. Nonetheless, the policy is a good one, and will be enforced. In my own transgression, it really was none of my business as to what the poster felt his boat was worth. The market takes care of all that.

And if there is something which the OP really needs to know about the posting, then a PM will do the job.

The critique of the magnetic fuel thingamabobs stands out in my mind which was funny to me because within 2 weeks of that discussion the owner of a marine construction and marina businesses with a lifetime of experience recommended them to father. He ordered and installed the thing. It is junk science to me and I think he is crazy as a loon but he is as happy as a clam.

If you post an ad on a forum just be prepared for comments FGS its a forum otherwise post it on EBAY / Gumtree

Full disclosure: I've been guilty of it in the past also, and got chastised for it. :) My sin was commenting upon the asking price, which I felt was much too high. It is an easy trap to fall into, and we realize that. Nonetheless, the policy is a good one, and will be enforced. In my own transgression, it really was none of my business as to what the poster felt his boat was worth. The market takes care of all that.

And if there is something which the OP really needs to know about the posting, then a PM will do the job.

I dont agree.

For one, the OP should make the effort to price the product correctly (market value vs. personal greed/pride).

For two, I take wildly priced items as a personal insult. Hey, you posted it with that price for everyone hoping for a victim, and I read it. Yes it insults me that you have over inflated the value of your decrepit barnacle of a hull.

And yes I know you know its a pos but hope with crossed fingers that I am so stupid that I will buy it anyways. <--- Thats the personal insult part....

That said I have a couple deals I need to go offer to buy. :D

Last edited:
I dont agree.

For one, the OP should make the effort to price the product correctly (market value vs. personal greed/pride).

For two, I take wildly priced items as a personal insult. Hey, you posted it with that price for everyone hoping for a victim, and I read it. Yes it insults me that you have over inflated the value of your decrepit barnacle of a hull.

And yes I know you know its a pos but hope with crossed fingers that I am so stupid that I will buy it anyways. <--- Thats the personal insult part....

That said I have a couple deals I need to go offer to buy. :D

I can't imagine a single reason why it would be any of your business what a persons asking price is, on anything.

Just my opinion...

Greetings,
Mr. rw. Well said! Poor Mr. wb must be in a constant state of personal insult every time he goes into a grocery store.

and yes when I spend the few moment to read someones advert and find out they [priced it far above market value, I either laugh my azz off or I get ticked. but I only get ticked when I either want top buy one or sell one. LOL

If you feel nothing the well you are empty.

I am constantly amazed at the prices people ask for their marine junk. Worn out starters, raw water pumps, heat exchangers or trashed alternators are treated as if they were solid gold. Bent, rusty, corroded, should just be trashed.

I don't blame others for feeling offended by high prices for junk. And for heaven's sake, if it "needs a little tlc," why not just do it? Wash it or degrease it or whatever.

That felt good. Thank you, I'm off to bed.

Greetings,
Mr. rw. Well said! Poor Mr. wb must be in a constant state of personal insult every time he goes into a grocery store.

Well said. I read an article recently about falling food prices and have no idea where the author is shopping but clearly not at my local grocery stores.

Some forums on this big ole net do not allow comments on the "for sale" ads, but I think its a good thing.
Kinda keeps the crooks at bay when they know that they can have their hands slapped publicly!

Back
Top Bottom