Improving airflow for 34 pilot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lollygag1

Guru
Vessel Name
Lollygag
Vessel Make
34 Mainship Pilot Hardtop
We just purchased 34 pilot hard top, the side windows are solid so there is no cross ventilation. What is the best solution to get better airflow. I am currently thinking of installing a couple of fans but open to suggestions.

Thanks

If not already installed you may want to consider hatches in the overhead.

We have 2 hatches over pilot and nav area.

I installed 2 fans at the corners of the overhead in the windshield area. It was one of the best upgrades I did. If I recall, they were mounted directly to the small access panels. There was also an access panel near the center. I can't remember how I got the 12v power, but it was no problem.

The fans served a multitude of purposes. Turned toward the passengers they helped in cooling. Turned on the windshield they served as defoggers. To be effective as defoggers I would start them before leaving the dock to let them run for a little while. I had heat and A/C on the helm deck.

I liked the fans so much that it was one of the first things added to my Sabre.

Don, thanks I was thinking the same thing. Seems to be a good location for them. Had not thought of using them to Defog.

Lack of cross flow ventilation is why Mainship Pilots and downeaster style boats in general are popular in New England and less so in the south. At anchor, ventilation is no problem, because the bow is always pointing into the wind and the big central opening window and the two overheads provide lots of air.

But at the dock where the wind direction is probably not coming from the bow, ventilation in the bridge deck area is limited. Older, roughly 2000-2006 Pilots have Stratiglass side windows and some have U-shaped cutouts to allow cross ventilation. When we bought ours several years ago, it had the U cutouts, but when we replaced them a few years ago, I decided not to add the cutouts as we use the boat in LI Sound and it is ok without.

Fans in the overhead as Don notes above could certainly help. You should be able to snake power up from the DC panel to the little cutouts, but I haven't tried that myself.

David

David, it has been about 12 years since doing that, I think there was a wire in the overhead that I powered them from. The radar and mast light were up there. I think the power came from the mast light wire.

Their location was in a dead spot area as far as air circulation goes. I couldn't believe the difference they made.

Last edited:
Once again the RV folks have a good answer.

These can be had with an automativ rain sensor to close the unit if required .

IF the boat currently does not have air cond I would install the vent in a place where it could be removed and the inlet used for the air cond.

SponsoredShop for fantastic fan on Google

Fan‑Tastic Vent Roof Vent w/ ...
$129.95
etrailer.com

Fan Tastic Automatic Air ...
$239.99
PPL Motor Ho...

Fan‑Tastic Fan Roof Vent ...
$118.36
RVSupplies

Fantastic Fan Create‑a‑...
$105.99