By request from some friends in this forum, see below a report from my experiences with Rainha Jannota.
Almost two years since launching Rainha Jannota I decided to let you know the impressions and experiences about my unique boat. Rainha is an original project from Yacht Design studios in Australia and Brazil. (www.yachtdesign.com
The hull was extended from 42’ to 46’ and it was maintained loyal from water line down. Above, many aspects of the design were changed to suit my personal preferences. Free board in the bow was increased while the same in stern was reduced as you can see on the lines profile in the pictures.
Today the boat displaces 23.8 Tons at 50% fluid capacity. Three thanks carry a total of 830 gallons of fuel plus 320 gallons of water and 30 gallons of waste.
She is pushed by and old school German descended but Brazilian made MWM turbo 6 cylinder in line with 145hp @ 2500 RPM. Cruising speed at the displacement above is 7.4 knots @ 1950 RPM sipping little below 3gl/hr. Trolling down to 1800 RPM, my favorite, she’ll sail at 6.7 knots burning only 2.1gl/hr.
Up to now the engine counts 312 hours since June/14. The generator, a 7 KVA Fisher Panda, is counting 425 hours with zero problems.
She had sailed already 2085 miles including the trip home from Ubatuba to Salvador when we run for 896 nautical miles nonstop in 5 days and 10 hours. We faced 10-12 foot seas with 30 knots winds in several parts of this trip, as well as calm seas. I also caught big waves and wind from behind and felt how good my boat is when nature decides to help her. She goes strait with little or no effort from the flawless autopilot, a Simrad AP24.
I also praise the Lord for giving me the idea to include two fin keels in the hull. Those, plus the wide beam gives me perfect rides with very slow harmonic movement even when the weather is not on my side.
The equipment has been a surprise. Refrigerator and air conditioning, domestic ones 110V, have been perfect so far.
Battery charger is now a robust Charles. Don’t bargain with battery charges, you’ll pay the price for that mistake.
Windlass have been changed once with a third electrical engine bought recently while painting the bottom. The reason for that problem was lack of protection of the engine from the elements. The problem was corrected last month with a made for purpose box.
The BT burns more battery than I wish. Yet, I have just installed two 220W solar panels to keep my batteries charged. With the sunlight available in the tropics I might as well take advantage of it. I am also planning to install two dedicated batteries for both windlass and BT.
TV is too small and the respective antenna useless. Mama gets mad about it
I am still struggling to minimize effort while using my hoisting system to accommodate the dingy. It takes a lot of energy from my not so much young arms.
She is not easy to go backwards and it is a little unpredictable, but putting her on her tight spot in the marina is getting less and less difficult. Apart from the inaugural trip, crew has been only mama & me!
Anchor gear is a 66 lbs Bruce + 200’ x 3/8” BBB chain + 350’ of ¾” nylon rope. So far, zero problems with this issue.
She has been a joy to own, sailing, moored, or tied on pier.