Old 09-13-2017, 11:16 AM   #1

City: grand rapids mi
immigration check in

Hello

One of my buddies is working on buying a 40 footer for crusing around the united states , alaska . He asked us if we knew if american citizens have to do the same check in as international travels/sailers at the marinas they stop at ?

I was in the coast guard and u did not need anything but military id. Anyone know where to look for this info , got me wondering now.

thanks in advance for any help
jftr88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:23 AM   #2
Guru

City: Cleveland
Vessel Name: Irishland
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Corinthian 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by jftr88 View Post
Hello

One of my buddies is working on buying a 40 footer for crusing around the united states , alaska . He asked us if we knew if american citizens have to do the same check in as international travels/sailers at the marinas they stop at ?

I was in the coast guard and u did not need anything but military id. Anyone know where to look for this info , got me wondering now.

Welcome JFTR88.

If you do not leave the U.S and go to another country you do not have to check in. If you do leave the U.S. and stop at another country you do have to check in at the U.S. port once you return. A passport will be needed.

There is a system in place where you can call in to customs, so you do not have to go in person. It is all on the net, just have your friend look up all the regs.

Cheers.

H.
hfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 05:29 PM   #3
Guru

City: kemah
so seattle to vancouver and back requires a passport? say it aint so....
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 05:40 PM   #4

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Our Island
Vessel Model: KK Manatee
Yup, it's so, both to enter Canada and return to the United States.
DCBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:08 PM   #5
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
I would suggest to enroll with Nexus program as going back and forth between us and Canada is greatly simplified. A simple vhf or cell phone call will suffice.
L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:08 PM   #6
Guru

City: kemah
With the Caribbean getting hit so hard I am considering the PNW as a cruising ground. I dont suppose the drivers license card thing would work, would it?

Thanks Lou, I suppose what I am thinking of is Nexus.
https://www.cbp.gov/travel/pleasure-...-boat-overview

Exactly what is a hovering vessel??

Pleasure Boat Reporting Requirements

Pursuant to 19 CFR 4.2, operators of small pleasure vessels, arriving in the United States from a foreign port or place to include any vessel which has visited a hovering vessel or received merchandise outside the territorial sea, are required to report their arrival to CBP immediately (see 19 U.S.C. 1433).
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:13 PM   #7
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by what_barnacles View Post
With the Caribbean getting hit so hard I am considering the PNW as a cruising ground. I dont suppose the drivers license card thing would work, would it?
Nope. But I think there is such a thing as an enhanced drives license. But it seems so much simpler to just get a passport and be done with it. And as suggested, if you will be back and forth frequently, signing up for NEXUS is well worth while.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:21 PM   #8

City: Houston
For Canada you want a US passport. It's not always a real friendly Customs experience even by car. I went from Detroit to Windsor on the bridge in a Hertz rental car. They spent 45 minutes searching it. When it was over I asked the customs lady, "Geez...I thought this would be easy!" She looked at me and said, "Sir! This is an international border crossing point...not a drive-thru at Mc Donald's!" Point taken.

Also - and this is probably an unlikely situation - but just know that Canada is VERY strict about any DUI convictions in the US. (I don't have one but I was present when a business associate got turned back at Canadian Customs for a misdemeanor conviction 3 years earlier. It was a mess. Totally embarrassing for him and caused a lot of headaches for me.

A "hovering vessel" is one which is hanging offshore and there is reason to believe it may be engaged in illegal activity such as bringing goods in via smaller boats. So the smaller boats that visit it are required to go through check-in.

It would not be paranoid to assume that you are being watched on radar when you are near the coasts of Canada or the US. I was on a charter boat that stopped to fish in the GoM - in State waters. Then we went to Intl waters. Different fish limits. Coming back in 6 hrs later a big Texas Fish &Game boat pulled us over. Had us on radar earlier - saw us stop to fish both times and fined the owner about $5000 for the fish we had on board. He got away with a warning later but I haven't forgotten that.
CDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:22 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Nope. But I think there is such a thing as an enhanced drives license. But it seems so much simpler to just get a passport and be done with it. And as suggested, if you will be back and forth frequently, signing up for NEXUS is well worth while.

For 50$ for 5 years nexus is my best investment ever. Either when we leave Canada to transit US or when we are back to Canada, by air, car or boat, it is just so much enjoyable to only spend 10 minutes for formalities. Last time we were travelling earlier this year, when back in Canada, in 20 Minutes from landing we were in a cab back to home!

(I am not working for customs lol)

L
Old 09-13-2017, 11:28 PM   #10

City: Subic Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by jftr88 View Post
Hello

For TRUE international travel by small vessel you normally require the following:

1) It pays to carry all original boat documents.
2) Boat Registration
It is an international requirement that all vessels (including trailed sail boats) outside their home waters are properly registered. Many countries have a simpler (and cheaper) option to register a boat other than the more involved commercial register.
In the United States yachts can either be registered with the state where the owner lives, or if ownership can be traced to the original owner, the vessel can be documented with the Coast Guard. The latter is generally preferable if possible when cruising abroad.
3) Insurance Certificate
Many countries and some marinas insist on a minimum level of third party insurance (be sure to carry the original document). Also there may be an additional requirement such as a translation or a reciprocal arrangement with a local insurance company.
4) Radio Licence
A radio operator’s licence, whether for VHF, HF or amateur radio, is required in most countries, although this is rarely checked. Some cruising yachts carry an amateur radio, most of their operators being properly licensed to operate a maritime mobile station. However, in some countries such stations can only be used legally if the operator is in possession of a reciprocal licence issued by the country concerned. In most places this is a simple formality and costs a small fee. In a few countries there are strict restrictions on the use of any radio equipment while in port, while in others, such as Thailand and New Zealand, the use of portable marine VHF radios on land is forbidden.
5) VAT Paid Certificate

If cruising in Europe with an EU registered boat, then a certificate showing that VAT has been paid will be expected. In the case of an older boat, then endeavor to obtain a Customs declaration that 'VAT is deemed to have been paid', before leaving your home. Without it, a Customs official can insist that VAT is paid on the current value of the boat at the rate applicable in the country being visited.
6)Clearance or Exit Document

This is the document which is (or should be) issued to show that a boat has left a previously visited country legally. It is often called a 'zarpe'. It will be expected at your next port of call. Note that some countries do not issue exit zarpes as a matter of routine (e.g. USA) so some planning will be required if your destination country will not permit entry without one.

Other Documents

As well as the above, some countries may also want to see the ship's logbook (this can be used as a legal document) and a list of electronic or other valuable items on board.

Boat Stamp

A ship’s stamp is greatly appreciated in many countries where, for some strange reason, a rubber stamp has a certain authority. The stamp should show the name of the boat, registration number and your flag state.

Cheers Steve
CaptSteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:53 AM   #11
Guru

City: Boston Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDreamer View Post
.... but just know that Canada is VERY strict about any DUI convictions in the US.......

Do you know how for back they will hold a DUI conviction against you ?
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:17 AM   #12
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
[QUOTE=CDreamer;592433]For Canada you want a US passport. It's not always a real friendly Customs experience even by car. I went from Detroit to Windsor on the bridge in a Hertz rental car. They spent 45 minutes searching it. When it was over I asked the customs lady, "Geez...I thought this would be easy!" She looked at me and said, "Sir! This is an international border crossing point...not a drive-thru at Mc Donald's!" Point taken.

This sounds like a trip through the border station where they train the new agents... I was going up through Minot headed that way and the locals told me the "around" route. I was certain I was lost, then saw a little station in the middle of nowhere with an agent in it, he just waved me through...

My last trip up through Pender Island I cleared into Canada with a phone call, no inspection. Still needed my passport number, and the US Customs guy wanted to see it when I cleared back into the US in Ketchikan.
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:20 AM   #13
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Yep, can confirm the Canadian attitude to DUI. The son of friends of mine was thrown out of the country for a DUI infringement. He was banned for entering the country for two years and banned from applying for a working visa working for five years, if my memory serves.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:21 AM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
Yep, can confirm the Canadian attitude to DUI. The son of friends of mine was thrown out of the country for a DUI infringement. He was banned for entering the country for two years and banned from applying for a working visa working for five years, if my memory serves.

The reversal is also true. US entry is refused to Canadian convicted of DUI.

L
Old 09-14-2017, 07:36 AM   #15

Re: DUI's and Canada
We researched it again a few years back as we were going to be attending a trade show, and I believe they go back 5 years from the end of any probationary period here in the States. But from looking online, they'll see it in the records when the run a passport, even further back. Didn't seem to matter if it was a misdemeanor or a felony (his was a misdemeanor).

There are some options. Apparently there's an application that can be filed (plus $) to allow people into Canada sooner. And I think there's a way to get a one-time work-related entry. Don't hold me to all this.
But as I recall it was a ton of paperwork either way. I'm sure an immigration atty would be easier, but pricey.

When we got stopped at the border it was at the Toronto airport - he wasn't planning to drive - but that didn't matter. So I went ahead and he had to fly home. It was pretty frustrating.

I don't know if he ever got it cleared up. Would be over 5 years now but we no longer work together, otherwise I could ask.

I suppose it's possible that Canada has relaxed the rules, but they take DUI more seriously there. I think a first offense is significant jail time.

One of the Canadians on TF would know more.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:57 AM   #16
Guru

City: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDreamer View Post
So I went ahead and he had to fly home. It was pretty frustrating.
A lot of people don't realize how embarrassing it can be when your past catches up to you.

Had a similar experience to yours some years back. Work trip to France, setting up a new system in the company office there. The guy I was with had done the stereotypical "backpacking through Europe" thing when he was in college. Problem was that he took an under-the-table job in Paris when he ran out of money. Got caught. Got told to leave.

Fast forward more than twenty years and here we are arriving at CDG airport as two successful, mature, American businessmen. He had forgotten all about the incident. The French had not. He was told to get on a plane and go home, because he was not welcome in France. OOPS! Boy did the boss have a few choice words for him when he showed up back at the office!

Issues from your past need to be dealt with, or at least taken into account. Not just ignored. Some countries are pretty picky (as they are certainly entitled to be) about their rules and regulations.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:58 AM   #17

I would add that Richard on Dauntless has broad personal experience with checking in and out of countries by boat (Europe, Caribbean, Panama, Mexico etc).
Some are easier than others.

Here's an example of the Mexico process that will give you a rough idea of what you need aboard:
http://www.bajainsider.com/article/m...rmit-boats-tip.

My advice would be to have a waterproof file with originals and copies (in case a copy of vessel documents is ok). Keep all of this organized and safe aboard.

Also, Richard has a "ship's stamp" - an ink stamp with his vessel information on it. Looks super-official and the Customs, Port Captains, Immigration people really like it.

Nexus has made it easier in many places but if you don't speak the language, radio / phone calls can be problematic.

If it's a physical check-in, have your Q flag flying, and have the country's flag on board.
Checking out of a country is just as important as checking in. Don't just "leave"...
Old 09-14-2017, 10:59 AM   #18
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
I have a friend who sailed across the Great Lakes into Canada, was met at the dock by a couple of agents who told hi he could sail back or he would be arrested and deported. His DUI was many years old...

He checked on how to have it removed, apparently they $ell something called "forgiveness" for his past sins, it sounds like the lawyers get mo$t of the money...

I have another friend who was passing through the border in a motorhome, it reeked of pot. They asked him for his pot and paraphernalia and then let him pass through. When I brought the Willard up through Canada I didn't want him on board, to avoid complications.
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:10 AM   #19
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
AK Doug wrote;
"My last trip up through Pender Island I cleared into Canada with a phone call, no inspection. Still needed my passport number, and the US Customs guy wanted to see it when I cleared back into the US in Ketchikan."

I also went through there the last time we went north and many times before including when it was manned by a person.
The Pender Is station is now closed I think. Anybody tried it lately?
What are the options now?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:45 PM   #20
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
AK Doug wrote;
"My last trip up through Pender Island I cleared into Canada with a phone call, ...
The Pender Is station is now closed I think. Anybody tried it lately?
What are the options now?
If by Pender Island, you are referring to Poets Cove/Bedwell Harbor, it is still functional. Phone connected to somwhere, (Ottawa?) much of the time, but it was manned last time I passed in August. Strange, though: the agent directed me to use the phone first, then come talk to him.
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote