Old 11-08-2015, 02:57 AM   #181
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttyhunk47 View Post
Can someone tell me about the seasons and is winter boating really realistic?
We boat year round and our 43 year old boat, having spent the first 25 years of it's life in California, has no built-in heat in it.

If you don't like gray days, short days in the winter, and rain you will not like it here. i grew up in Hawaii so I've had my fill of blue sky, sun, and warm weather. I absolutely love the weather here; before I moved here a friend who was from this area told me the skies are not gray, they're pewter. That's a good way to look at it. I appreciate the occasional sunny day but the more it's cloudy, rainy or snowy the better I like it.

What I don't like is wind as it screws up both boating and the kind of flying we do. And for whatver reason winters here seem to be gradually getting more windy. Other year-round boaters we know have observed the same thing. Climate change, I guess.

The region is getting more expensive, with Seattle and the cities east of Seattle-- Bellevue, Redmond, Kirkland, Sammamish, Issaquah, Woodinville, etc. leading the pack. Most of the higher paying jobs are in this core so the farther away from it one goes the less expensive housing becomes.

As for boating, particularly power boating, in my opinion there is no better region to cruise on the planet than the inside waters of the PNW/BC/SE Alaska coast. IF.... you like rugged, often remote country, big tides and fast currents, rocky shorelines and deep, cold water. If one likes warm water, blue skies and sandy beaches this is the wrong place to be.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 06:24 AM   #182

City: Williamsburg
Marin stunning photo!
Tarrowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:20 PM   #183
Scraping Paint

City: -
It was taken a few years go in Desolation Sound by the husband of a couple we were cruising with. They always left first because their sailboat cruised under power at only 6 knots. So we'd catch up along the way, pass them, get to our next destination and get anchored so they could raft to us when they came in.

The photo below captures much of what I feel boating this coast is like. I took it just before sunset. The little troller is heading home at the north end of Johnstone Strait past the Pearse Group and Malcolm Island. The BC Coast Range on the mainland is in the distance.
Attached Thumbnails
Running Home.jpg  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:32 PM   #184
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
Keeping her happy is important. Make sure you read the Jetski manual about towing it. Some jetski designs will fill up with water under tow. Back when I had seadoos, I burned out the drive bearing one and towed it back with the other one. When we got back to the dock, it was riding low in the water, partially swamped.
HaHa I think I could tow a raft of Martinis and keep them upright, with olives intact on my fine vessel! I have a trawler donchano!
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:19 AM   #185
Guru

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: 1978 Hatteras 53MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
It's hard to get the bicycle to shore on a jet ski.
Google "Brompton".
Old 09-12-2022, 02:04 PM   #186
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
In Memoriam to Codger2 - Walt Poulson

It makes me sad and reminiscent to inform TF that our long-time friend and fellow trawlerman, Walt Poulson (Codger2) passed away unexpectedly on September 10, 2022 at 3PM of heart issues. He leaves behind his wife, Renee, and a loving family including his son, his daughter and his sister, among many other family and friends.

Walt joined TF about 15 years ago under the screenname "SeaHorse II" until he sold his cherished and pampered 32' Halversen Gourmet Cruiser, SeaHorse II, and changed his screenname to Codger2. He was a regular on TF sharing knowledge, experiences and information and also learned much from the many contributors here. Walt hosted many of us TFers during our visits to San Diego on his boats and in his home over the years.

During his many years of boating, Walt loved and pampered ten boats in his personal fleet. After selling his Halvorsen (#8), Walt purchased an OA42 (#9) so he could enjoy fast runs to Catalina Island with his boating buds. He eventually sold that and went all-electric with his 2021 Duffy 22 Cuddy Cabin (#10) and absolutely loved that boat! He kept his boating mojo flowing right to up to the end.

Walt was always happy on the water. He was Navy enlisted and served aboard ships in the Pacific Fleet, as I recall. He was also very involved in the effort to bring the USS Midway to San Diego to be restored as a museum.

As I think back on my times shared with Walt on the water and in his home in San Diego, I am reminded of this thread that Walt started on TF when he was losing his desire for boating. Some of us saw it as a call to arms for our TF brother in order to keep his feet wet. As I read through the thread again, I can't help but smile at the good times we had together.

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...ting-5050.html

In Oct 2012, on my very last night 'on the road' in my flying career, I found myself in San Diego, my former hometown and home to Walt and Renee. Walt and his close friend, Rear Adm. Riley Mixson, hosted me for dinner at the San Diego Yacht Club for a great night that I'll always cherish. The next day, I flew the plane home after the final day's work and hung up my wings.

I'll always remember Walt with a smile. Thanks for the great times together, my friend. May the Good Lord welcome you with open arms.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 03:07 PM   #187
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Thanks FlyWright. I only knew Walt for a short time through TF but shared many public and private messages over the few years I've been a member. He struck me as a real and caring gentleman. He will be missed.
Old 09-12-2022, 04:53 PM   #188
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Thanks Al. I remember when Walt was fed up with boating and was going to give away his Halvorsen and get out of boating. The Forum’s members helped him rally and he added two more boats to his resume.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 05:08 PM   #189
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Thanks Al. I remember when Walt was fed up with boating and was going to give away his Halvorsen and get out of boating. The Forum’s members helped him rally and he added two more boats to his resume.
Yes, here's the link...

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...ting-5050.html

Old 09-12-2022, 08:18 PM   #190
Veteran Member

City: Toronto
Sorry to hear about his passing. I read the whole thread. My thoughts and prayers to all who knew him. [emoji120]

Invested now……what happened to his beloved boat SeaHorse? Did someone from here end up with it?
Trainerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 09:16 PM   #191
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Condolences to friends and family

It's been a week for it
Sunday about 8:30am got news a good mate of 30 years died and 3 hours later had an uncle go as well.

Was reminded that in our younger days it was birthday parties we attended regularly
As we get older it's funerals.
Not happy about that.
Old 09-12-2022, 11:57 PM   #192
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainerdude View Post
Sorry to hear about his passing. I read the whole thread. My thoughts and prayers to all who knew him. [emoji120]

Invested now……what happened to his beloved boat SeaHorse? Did someone from here end up with it?
Walt sold the Halvorsen and bought a 42 OA before selling the OA for his 22 Duffy electric canoe.

Old 09-13-2022, 03:51 AM   #193
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Very sad to hear of this. I never had the luck to be able to meet Walt, mainly for geographical reasons, but we sorta clicked, and exchanged many posts and PMs. He will be missed... for the memory Walt...
Old 09-14-2022, 04:10 PM   #194
Guru

Sad news about Walt. We were docked only a few slips away from his OA 42 boat in San Diego when we owned the Helmsman. He was always upbeat and ready to talk about boats in general. I just received a facebook message from him a few days ago sharing photos. Wow, this was unexpected. Thank you for letting us know.

John T.
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote