Ignorant Boater Loses Tender

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another rule when tying up tenders and dinghies: when it comes to the number of lines, one is none and two is one!

I use the nasty yellow polypropylene 3-strand for my dinghy tow line. I use it for a variety of reasons. First of all, it is very cheap. It also is highly visible and floats very well. It can be easily spliced. Finally, it has a fair amount of stretch which I like in a tow line.

It does have downsides of course. It doesn’t last all that long if exposed to lots of UV. Not an issue for me as it rarely sees the sun. The line will not hold a knot well at all. A well tied bowline will come undone as soon at it isn’t under load. It isn’t easy on the hands. Despite the drawbacks, it works really well. I don’t use it as a painter however. When towing, a spliced loop goes over a cleat or the line is cleated well.

Waay early in my boating experience, I learned to shun yellow polyprop. Not just for dinghy painters, but for all purposes.
For painters:UV degrades it so that it will break way before you expect it to weaken.
For traps: it floats, so the passing crowd will cut it before you get back to recover the trap.
For all purposes: It won't hold a knot. The only way to tie two bits of polyprop together is a double figure 8 knot. every other knot will undo while you are sleeping. When coiled, it will tangle. doesn't matter haw it is coiled. it will tangle.
Any one who can tame yellow polyprop is a much better man than I.

All things considered, it is the most expensive line available.

Keith, you are right about the tangles as well. That was a drawback that I forgot to mention.Yes, the stuff is terrible. However, for my towing purposes, it works for me.

If I was towing a lot, I’d use Sampson MFP Floatline. It is really good line that I use for my stern tie las well as painters on dinghies. It has the advantages of polypro but will hold a knot, easy on the hands, UV resistant, and won’t tangle.

I tow the dink with the yellow poly rope. It floats. I can see it. I have about 40 feet of it, and I cleat one end to one stern cleat, run the loose end through the bow eye on the dink a couple of times, then cleat the other end to the stern cleat. I’m sure there is some chafing going on at the dink bow eye but it doesn’t seem too bad.

I never try to tie a knot with the yellow poly. It always comes loose. I don’t use the yellow poly as a painter either.

I tow the dink with the yellow poly rope. It floats. I can see it. I have about 40 feet of it, and I cleat one end to one stern cleat, run the loose end through the bow eye on the dink a couple of times, then cleat the other end to the stern cleat. I’m sure there is some chafing going on at the dink bow eye but it doesn’t seem too bad.

I never try to tie a knot with the yellow poly. It always comes loose. I don’t use the yellow poly as a painter either.
So I'm tied to a state mooring ball in fossil bay at sucia having dinner with crab traped earlier. Having a beer or maybe a bourbon. There was NW wind and a flood that created a impressive chop. The dink was connected by it's davits on the swim platform.
All was well until the boat swung on the mooring and I spotted a dink with 2 crab traps that look suspiciously like mine heading out the bay towards Seattle. With the wind there was nothing to slow it up!
Sobers you right up[emoji15]
I start the engine, let go of the mooring, and start the chase.
I'm almost out of the bay boat hook in hand when I catch sight of an anchored sailboat in my path. Rearrange priorities using the boat hook to fend off. Probably making alarming sounds in said sailboat. As I passed the captain appeared saw that it was only a close call, waved and returned to his beer/bourbon.
Then the sailboat admiral appeared...
No harm no foul. You are not alone.

Another rule when tying up tenders and dinghies: when it comes to the number of lines, one is none and two is one!

IMG_0635.jpg

Two lines independently attached to bow and cleated to port and starboard bolted cleats on the swim platform. Holds just fine in a blow. One line is permanently spliced on (painter) the other is hooked with a stainless steel carabineer.

No knots involved in this set up.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom