Identifying an air horn compressor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve1

Veteran Member
Hi, I have a couple of air horns that work great now that I cleaned all of the spider web stuff out of them. I believe they are Fiamms. I am trying to identify the compressor that powers them, both to understand how many amps it draws and what maintenance it needs. All I can see is an SN logo. Anyone have a guess? Thanks

Attachments

• 20221026_171311.jpg
    20221026_171311.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 58
It’s not a very good picture. However, it appears that what you have there is a blower and not a compressor. If a blower needs maintenance it’s usually just a matter of removing the 3 screws, lifting the end cap and squirting some lubricant into the vanes. If that dose not solve the problem then replace it with one from Amazon. I have seen them for as little as $17.95.

See the lifting plastic cap on top? Lift it and, occasionally, put a drop or so of a light oil.I use sewing machine/household grade(? Singer), comes in an easy to use plastic drip bottle with a long spout.

Be surprised if it draws much, but you could operate it while watching the battery ammeter.

I don't know what the picture is but if you have two air horns there really should be a reservoir for compressed air near the compressor. Mine has about a two gallon capacity and will blast both horns for about 45 seconds sustained. Then it runs for five minutes to recharge.

If you are not sure if that is your compressor just lay on the horns for a couple minutes and listen for the compressor to come on. With no reservoir it should come on instantly.

You could be looking at an autopilot pump.

pete

I think Tiltrider1 is correct and I was mistaken. it is a blower, not a compressor. When I was cleaning the horns out and turned it on the air did not come out at high pressure. I will add some oil. I am sure it has not been maintained in 30 years

Be a little careful about adding oil. Some motor driven devices need periodic oiling -- they often have oil cups or removable plugs. Those that are "permanently" lubricated don't need or want additional oil. It can get on the commutator and stop the motor. Better to leave them alone. Of course if the motor doesn't turn, then adding a little oil won't make it worse, but it may not help, either.

Jim

It has a little yellow cap that says 'oil' so I will put a few drops in there.

It has a little yellow cap that says 'oil' so I will put a few drops in there.

Those little blowers have a rotor with vanes that slide in and out in an eccentric shaped cavity. Sounds more complicated than it really is.
Many times there is crud built up that keeps the vanes from sliding smoothly. It only takes a few minutes to remove the top cap and clean everything up. Regular oiling in the cup after cleaning it out will keep it working well.

It looks amazingly like the Italian, Fiamm pump that comes with a Fiamm air horn kit. I expect it is the original.

Its fairly simple to diagnose. Remove the hose. Apply power. Listen, do you hear the motor spin? They are not quiet. If you hear the motor run then try putting your finger on the outflow hole. If you can get your finger to cover the hole then something is wrong with the blower. They move a lot of air, if you don’t feel a strong blast then take the top off and do some cleaning. If you do have strong air flow then you either have a hose issue or a trumpet issue.

I Just went through all this on my classic Ferrari. Turned out the trumpet broke internally. I am going to do the same diagnostics for my neighbors boat this week end as his horn sounds pathetic and has been getting weaker all summer.

If you want to know how many amps it draws clamp an amp measuring multi meter over the leads and push the button.

Clamp the ammeter over only ONE wire or it will read zero. As long as the wire leads go to the pump motor it will not matter if you put the clamp over the + or the - lead. If you clamp over both leads it will not show any current.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom