Identify Warning Light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RiverhawkDYC

Vessel Name
Riverhawk
Vessel Make
Present 38 Motor Yacht
Can anyone identify this warning light? Image is attached. It's on a 1986 Present Motor Yacht with twin Perkins Diesel engines. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7114.JPG
    IMG_7114.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 205
I think it is engine coolant temperature alarm.

Edit: looks like temp is the deg C thing nearby. Have no clue. Hate those hieroglyphics.

When does it come on?

Last edited:
20 minutes out the light and buzzer came on. Engine temp seemed normal but cut that engine off. Went below and thought we saw smoke in the engine room. Strange "fishy" smell. Possibly fluid burning off the engine. Ran on one engine for a while at low RPM. Decided to start the other engine. Started fine but temperature rose quickly. Shut it down. Checked strainers and all fluid levels. Everything seemed normal. Been told everything from oil level light, water pump light and water in gas bulb light.

From the hieroglyphic it looks like a liquid flow indicator. Possibly for the engine raw water supply?

At the slip we did check water flow. It seemed weak compared to the other engine. Impellers were replaced in March. Sent that picture to Trans Atlantic Diesel also. They said it was a water in gas bulb warning light when is notorious for false alarms. That and overheating would not be related at all. Hopefully it was a false alarm. Going back down this weekend and will check water flow more closely and impellers.

Hidey Ho.
I have a President with FL120s. Obviously different engines so not sure how much crossover there would be. I do not have that light but I do have two buzzers. One low oil pressure and one for engine coolant over temperature. Whenever I try to figure out what goes to what I always look at this TF thread:
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s32/ford-lehman-120-guage-set-up-22940.html

Scroll down to about the seventh post and there is a pic of the different senders and what they go to. Again - obviously a different engine but maybe you can poke around and see if you have anything that looks like what is in the pics.

Dang - I see now that you have a Present. Not President. Sorry and good luck.

Engine oil temp....

From a pro and that is my guess.

Hydrolic temp sensor?

Could you locate what was leaking making the smoke?

The Thermometer with the "C" is the cooling temperature. I believe that is an alternate symbol for Oil Pressure or Oil Level.

I found that also..... but it doesn't have the two arrows on either side indicating what I thought would be pressure.

Could be transmission oil pressure. Is there a pressure switch on the transmission?

I have to agree with psneeld's post. I believe it is a "High Engine Oil Temp" warning light. It uses the elements of the ISO symbol 1375 for "Engine lubricating oil temperature" on the red lens of a warning light. I can't imagine anything else it could be alerting.

78181c48-344d-4bb1-a3a3-bb3359d8632c_200.png

So, if it is coming on while the engine is operating, I'd be looking for the oil temp switch to verify the temp of the area immediately surrounding it with a digital thermometer. I'd also check the temperature of the oil filter. If readings are too high according to the engine specifications, and the engine is equipped with an external oil cooler, I'd check the water side for any leakage or blockage, or just remove it and have it cleaned and tested. On some engines the output from the raw water pump is routed through the oil cooler first, which if clogged or leaking could contribute to the lower volume of cooling water exiting the exhaust, as well as higher engine oil temperatures.

If it is an engine oil temp switch is there an engine oil heat exchanger?

I have a power steering oil heat exchanger on my gas engine. Just no engine oil heat exchanger.

simbologias-caterpillar-26-638.jpg

Cat and Perkins had (still have ? ) a relationship and it looks like they shared the SMCS codes and symbols:

Look at the 3rd from the bottom, right column, CAT SMCS code 1000 g00680935

From a noted, underappreciated expert...

Last edited:
Warning Light

Where the engine exhaust comes off the elbow to a hose, which goes to the overboard discharge, there is sometimes an exhaust temp alarm in that area.

I agree that at times those symbols are hard to understand.

IF you don't have an engine manual, check your engine numbers and see if you can find 1 on line. It might tell you what that means.

Good luck,

Back
Top Bottom