ideal length for single handed or two handed cruising

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Max Size

I have a 43', 52' overall tricabin Ocean Alexander motor yacht and I have single handed in fair weather a few times but it helps to have someone manage the incoming chain in the anchor locker when raising anchor or toss a line when docking.

Have a sixty foot, trawler. Have lost count of the single handed voyages. The one issue is docking. Good weather Ok. As for for piloting, this has not been an issue. Looking to go again, soon. Enjoy your boat. It's what you are comfortable with

To us, shouting = poor skipper briefing.

We once watched a wife on the bow trying to lasso a cleat. When she finally did it and started to tighten the line, chain started spilling over the side. She had used the anchor rode that was lying on deck. Husband then yelled at her from the FB "God damn it, honey!"

"God damn it, honey" has become my go to phrase when I am clearly the one who goofed up.

For solo or a crew of two, I think smaller is better. No need for separate staterooms. I don't need off shore capability. Cozy has its advantages.

Dee and I cruised Fintry (see left) for about 18,000 miles. We needed help when going to the Great Lakes (40 lockings), but routine cruising was no problem for two. A friend single hands one of her sisters -- he gets a spring line on with a long boat hook from the upper deck. Bigger and heavier is actually easier because the wind doesn't affect you as much and the boat is much more stable under you. Before Fintry, we circumnavigated on a Swan 57 and never had a problem finding a dock.

You might ask why we are downsizing -- Fintry is for sale -- it's because there are places you can't take 79' with an 8' draft and we've moved ashore, so we don't need a home with eight berths. We've found that cruising with more than one other pair is too much like work.

Jim

Jim's point about a larger boat (like his) being more stable and less subject to wind when docking, etc. is very true (for most models). However, at least in the BC coastal area, having too large a boat (over 50 feet) can make finding temporary moorage more of an issue. Some marinas cannot accommodate and others have very limited space for larger vessels. If the (larger) boat in question has hydraulic thrusters (bow and stern) with remote control, then a single hander could hold the boat against the dock with the thrusters while dealing with lines, so a larger boat may actually make single handing easier in some ways.

In my area, there are many marinas that do not use or even have cleats. They use "bull rails" (4x4 wooden rails that you tie to) making quickly attaching lines, especially from the boat without going on the dock, very difficult to impossible. Based on that fact (in my area) if single handing without the hydraulic thrusters with remote, I would want a boat with relatively low freeboard or an easy ability to go straight to the dock from the pilothouse (or (lower) helm) for line handling. A boat between 32 and 40 feet would seem optimal for this (depending on layout and model) in my area. However, many people (like Sue on Spinner) single hand a bigger (than I just recommended) boat (hers is a Nordic Tug 42) well.

If your boat has a single pilot station on the flybridge, no cockpit (like a sun deck design) I think your single handing docking might be limited to locations where you KNOW there will be assistance at the dock.

Or time it so their is no wind or light wind blowing you against the dock.
Come in, stop, get off.
Takes a lot of breeze to get heavy boats moving.

I have a 60' LOA Sea Ray sedan bridge and my wife and I can easily double hand. My $0.02, it takes practice with the 1st mate, good communication (i.e do not assume she knows what you are thinking) and knowing your boat. I know, you know, so it goes without saying, but DO NOT "practice" for the first time when conditions are at their worst.

If single handing is wanted on a boat having a tug style stern would be an asset as backing against a sea wall or piling can help controlling the boat.

firehoser75 is correct that it can be harder to find dock space for larger boats -- but I think this is overstated by our group. In our 5200 mile trip to all five Great Lakes, our trip up the Hudson to Albany, and several trips to Cape Breton, we have never had a problem finding dock space, even without reserving more than a few hours in advance. We are downsizing not because we can't find dock space, but because many nice anchorages are inaccessible to Fintry.

If I were singlehanding in an area with bull rails (we ran into them in several places in Georgian Bay -- what a nuisance), my spring line == first line ashore -- would have a grapnel on the end so I wouldn't have to go ashore before hooking on. If singlehanded, I would never leave the boat and go ashore with a line - -what if I tripped and fell in, or otherwise became unable to keep the boat from drifting away?

I have never had a stern thruster, so I can't praise their utility. On a single screw boat with an appropriate propeller and rudder, you can push the stern in with the rudder, albeit at the price of some fore and aft motion.

Although I certainly use the bow thruster while docking and when turning a tight 180 getting out of our slip, it's not essential. It's most useful in narrow places with a cross current, to keep the bow where you want it while the rudder does the same at the stern. It's also useful while locking if the lockmaster lets you hang out in the middle of the lock.

Jim

Last edited:
Hardest part so far in tens of thousands of miles has been to get the admiral to pay absolutely no attention to what anyone says other than the captain. Nearly all screwups are when she listens to onlookers, other crew or live lumber or deck hands.

Sight lines are one of the main reasons for screwups. We have a fixed routine for calling out distances both entering and leaving. Cameras, although helpful, can be misleading .

Think with many evolutions on a boat it’s really worthwhile to switch jobs periodically. One runs the helm the other picks up the mooring, drops/retrieves the anchor, secures the dock lines etc. you really don’t appreciate the difficulties until you do it yourself.

Aside from docking which remains the major issue think there’s some advantages to about 40 to 50 feet. Due to the most common wave periods in the ocean in that range it’s very unlikely you will ever have the crests of two waves under the boat with middle poorly supported. Or only the middle supported and not either end at all.

Last edited:
Where can I order one of these dock mates referred to here? Are they returnable if they don’t work out?
A better question would be to describe your boat and get a sense of what it would take to install. For example, my boat is a fully analogy engine, old school push/pull cables to shift gears (vs electronic controls), and hard wired thruster. There would be a LOT of actuator style stuff needed before a Yachtcontroller (or similar) was installed.

If your boat is fairly new with electronic ZF transmissions or similar, cost would be less. Still pretty expensive, but less.

Peter

... Husband then yelled at her from the FB "God damn it, honey!"

"God damn it, honey" has become my go to phrase when I am clearly the one who goofed up.

Sailors next to us were know-it-all USCGA couple. Always left the slip at full throttle. One day she’s at the bow getting lines ready to go, he’s at the stern doing his bit. As usual he drops it in gear and floors it. Boat goes a few feet and lurches to a stop. He didn’t unplug the shore power cord. He immediately without hesitation screams, ”Alice! You made me forget!” Forty years later and that’s still our response when someone screws up, usually me.

Hardest part so far in tens of thousands of miles has been to get the admiral to pay absolutely no attention to what anyone says other than the captain. Nearly all screwups are when she listens to onlookers, other crew or live lumber or deck hands.

The pressure on crew to do what 'helpers' say is understandable. But 'helpers' do not know your boat and will invariably take ropes, pull them in hard and make them off far too tight - and in the wrong place!

Hence, being able to say, 'No thank you, I really need the practice.' is a key phrase to be able to say.

this brings up a question i've been wondering. What is the shortest length that you all would take on a passage say from turks and caicos to the dr in regards to both safety and comfort?

50' :)

Thanks

You don't see many 38 aft cabin LRCs.

I'm a fan of the 38 sedans...the equivalent of my boat supersized. I'd love to see more pics of your 38 LRC.

Thanks for the compliment, This boat has twin TMD34A turbo/intercooled diesels. I am stuck in Jersey and the boat is at Glades in Florida. Time for retirement !

Attachments

• IMG_0373.jpg
    IMG_0373.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0274.jpg
    IMG_0274.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0272.jpg
    IMG_0272.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 17
LRC??? Hmmm, my AT34, If I am careful and run at 1000RPM (about 6.5knts, 1gph), no generator usage, 400gals of fuel 1900knm and still have 100gal of fuel remaining.
CHUCKLE
Not sure if that makes me a LRC but, it will make me LR.
Good oldAmerican Tug.

Last edited:
DD 38 or N40 would be over qualified to do that transit as would many others vessels. Wondering why you picked the DR. Not a great cruising destination. Even going west (which is much easier) most folks skip it.

DD 38 or N40 would be over qualified to do that transit as would many others vessels. Wondering why you picked the DR. Not a great cruising destination. Even going west (which is much easier) most folks skip it.

Boats that are limited in range, typically go Turks and Caicos to DR. I will also say that we have found the DR quite welcoming and quite enjoyable for a few days. From Blue Haven Marina in Leeward to Ocean World in Puerto Plata is only about 205 nm. Then on to Marina Puerto Bahia in Samana another 140 nm. From there 282 nm to Village Cay in Tortula, BVI. We've also bypassed the DR, but enjoyed exploring it for several days. We were not limited in range but just wanted to go there.

Consider water depth

Here in NC some of the most interesting places have somewhat thin water - Bath NC, Rose Bay, some approaches to Ocracoke, the Neuse River, Edenton, numerous bays and tributaries, etc., so draft is an issue. We like our Camano for these waters. While we consider our realistic range to be the top of the Chesapeake to anywhere south on the east coast, we're delighted simply exploring Albemarle and Pamlico Sounds and related bodies of water. Offshore to NY city is not in our plans - did that once coming south from New England - nice experience, but Delaware Bay and offshore NJ are unlikely for us again. We like having ready access to protected water if bad weather comes up. We don't anticipate going far south of Morehead City, just because we're happy not spending much time in the ditch. The natural beauty of our lightly populated shores and long unpopulated stretches of marsh and forested shores keep us awed right here in NC.

For our waters, single handing or as a couple, in addition to a Camano, the Nordic Tug 32/34 with 50% more displacement, appeals. Grand Banks, Marine Traders, among older boats in this size range seem to be popular in this area, too. So, that's a range that offers good comfort, limited draft, easy handling, good construction, ample size berths, adequate stability if you keep a weather eye, good access to lovely old colonial towns, and moderate cost on a relative basis compared to larger boats. You can go larger, of course, but these boats get the job done nicely on the smaller end of your range of possibilities.

Back
Top Bottom