ICW Veterans Help Needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamup

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Bay Tripper
Vessel Make
'06 MS 34 Pilot
I've accepted a position in the Myrtle Beach area and need to do a repositioning cruise this spring from Virginia Beach (Norfolk) to Murrells Inlet. I've heard and read a wide range of how long this should take (from three to nine days). Realistically, how long should this trip take assuming (no sightseeing, 7am to 4pm). Bay Tripper cruises comfortably at 16 knots, but I realize that the boat is faster than conditions on the ICW allow for the most part. Thanks in advance for schooling me!

Jeff

It takes me typically 5 days at 7 knots to cover that stretch. It should take you 3 to 4 days depending on route. Going through the Dismal swamp would take the same time as me because of speed restrictions. Albemarle Chesapeake canal would be twice as fast as me except for the reduced speed areas and traffic.

Ted

I'd agree, 3d if humpin' it, 4d if not pushing it. You probably need to run offshore from Cape Fear or Little River inlet to Murrells inlet as it has no connection to the ICW. So that leg you need to watch the weather.

If offshore is nice, the leg from Beaufort NC to Wrightsville Beach NC is a good bit quicker outside. At 16kts, probably about 5hr.

Last edited:
From memory, without log handy... and not counting our lay days for sightseeing or weather or whatever... we made it 8 legs from Portsmouth to Myrtle Beach... at a very leisurely pace, mostly 8 knots or so, and short days. Segments were:

Tidewater Marina to Coinjock
Alligator River Marina
Belhaven
Oriental
Beaufort
Swansboro
Wrightsville Beach
Southport
Myrtle Beach (Osprey in Socastee)​

I'd think you could at least halve that, assuming halfway decent weather and no issues through the Lejeune firing range, etc.

Outside from Beaufort to Wrightsville Beach, and then from Wrightsville to Southport could let you take more advantage of your speed... weather permitting.

-Chris

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom